PDA

View Full Version : The Settlers are back - Game Announcement

Ubi-Thorlof
08-21-2018, 12:06 PM
https://youtu.be/wmO1kTv1WuM

25 years after the debut of The Settlers, the legendary build-up strategy series returns to Windows PC, under the leadership of Volker Wertich, the inventor of the series.

Forced to leave their homelands after a devastating earthquake of mysterious origins, the Settlers set sail towards the unknown in the hopes of finding a new home.

All info about the new Settlers (and soon a lot more) you can find here on the
Settlers Alliance (http://ubi.li/9d2ha)

djbucksta
08-21-2018, 12:32 PM
please don't dumb this one down! please make it like settlers 1 or 2!! :)

KingstonBlack
08-21-2018, 01:32 PM
Fantastic News! :D

I hope that the development team take the opportunity to play test the early games (especially 2, 3 and 4) from the upcoming 'History Collection' so that they appreciate what made those games so enjoyable to play.

On the downside, looks like the 'History Collection' means I'm going to be buying some of these games for the third time - CD/DVD, GoG and now 'History Collection' ;)

RobvD84
08-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Ubilol, please listen to the fans. And i mean really listen. If we say no, don't do it, then please don't do it. Look at what happnend with Heroes of Might and Magic (yes i refuse to call it the way you want to).

Also please get rid of the control area, or atleast bring it back as it was with S1-S4. Or do it like Knights and Merchants did, without area of control. For some games it works, but for The Settlers the old way worked.

Also if it is possible i would like to see some sort of progression a la Age of Empires (altho this might be something that is too heavy burden to do for a attempt to revive this franchise). It would be really cool to see buildings changing and seeing them become better and more practical, or your settlers getting better at what they do, soldiers getting stronger/experienced in battle, etc.. But maybe just making a good game with as less problems as possible is something that has higher priority.

At this point i am optimistic about the development of this game. But as things stand i won't buy Ubilol games. Depending how this game develops and what they do with it, and everything that is going to be behind Uplay i might decide to buy it.

Ubi-Thorlof
08-21-2018, 05:30 PM
We'll definitely release more info over the coming weeks, I'll try to address a few points here:

- We very much appreciate your feedback on what we share with you. That's one of the reasons why we created the Settlers Alliance and we'll of course monitor your feedback and your opinions on new features and ideas.
- Not quite sure what you mean with control area, but the expansion in The Settlers will work similar to the old titles with building watchtowers, sending soldiers to expand your territory etc. No "sectors" like in Settlers 6 or 7
- Buildings will change their appearance when upgraded and it will effect the productivity of each building or workshop.

We have about one more year to convince you, RobvD84, and I personally am very sure we'll manage ;)

Ove_Haithabu
08-21-2018, 10:08 PM
We'll definitely release more info over the coming weeks, I'll try to address a few points here:

- We very much appreciate your feedback on what we share with you. That's one of the reasons why we created the Settlers Alliance and we'll of course monitor your feedback and your opinions on new features and ideas.
- Not quite sure what you mean with control area, but the expansion in The Settlers will work similar to the old titles with building watchtowers, sending soldiers to expand your territory etc. No "sectors" like in Settlers 6 or 7
- Buildings will change their appearance when upgraded and it will effect the productivity of each building or workshop.

We have about one more year to convince you, RobvD84, and I personally am very sure we'll manage ;)

First of all : Congratulations to a great idea. I wish you best of luck when working on this title, fun while working and a great success when you release the game

Great to see that you plan to focus on the old ttles. The graphics look fantastic and the game idea is maybe not new but still brilliant. There are a lot of games that follow the same (build a base/settlement, gather recources and run over the enemy) so I hope that this will be as unique as the original.

What really made the original great was the resource management, unlike every other game where harvested resources were simply added to a virtual pool the original Settlers had a transport system where resources needed to be transported to the destination instead of taking them out of a virtual pool. Please have this game pick up that idea of transporting resources again.

Further, the building technique was simply brilliant and made it a joy to actually watch the game, so please instead of having new buildings simply grow out of the ground when constructing please have the old way. Someone comes to pave the ground, someone brigs the materials and someone builds first a scaffold, then the actual walls and then roof and finally tiles. There are too many games where watching a construction is boring (and thus makes the game boring). And don't be afraid to add more buildng materials like not only stone and wood but also logs, boards, quarrystones, bricks, tiles and straw.

And have a game mode for patient players. The old titles you could play for hours on a map (oh, yes by the way we want random maps and big maps, very big maps). Too many games where you had no time for even a cup of tea while playing because if you miss a minute then the enemy is too far advanced. Keep it the old style where you can relax a bit, order a few constructions and then sit back, watch your settlers gather resources and build houses while having a tea. The graphic is too beautiful to be ignored. if it's just a race against the enemies one has no time to look at the details.

So again, good luck you you. Thanks for the good news and take your time. The pressure will be on, especially when the release date comes but I wish you good nerves and may this be a success.

roediej
08-22-2018, 07:26 AM
Can't wait for more info !really excited for the new Settlers!

Ubi-Thorlof
08-22-2018, 01:44 PM
@Ove_Haithabu:
The plan is to catch the feeling of the old Settlers games and build on top of that. The inventor of the series, Volker Wertich, is responsible for this one so I'm confident this will be achieved :)

Regarding the resource management:
Yes, this is exactly how it's planned (or rather: already implemented) in this one, too. Resources don't magically teleport in a big pool and like in e.g. Settlers III your carriers will have to get the wood from the woodcutter to the new building before construction can begin.

Like the older games of the series, The Settlers will also be a game where you can simply sit back and watch your Settlers work (or take a break), buildings don't suddenly appear but have to be build and it's not supposed to be hectic RTS like Starcraft or something similar.

I can't give you a clear info on the maps yet, but as far as I know there'll be randomly generated maps for more replayability.
Will put it on my Q&A list for later.

pennyuk
08-22-2018, 04:53 PM
There is a Settlers God after all,lets hope we are going back to our roots with this version

hiswitzend1969
08-22-2018, 08:32 PM
Really excited to see this, however is it only going to be a digital download ?

Ove_Haithabu
08-22-2018, 10:45 PM
@Ove_Haithabu:
The plan is to catch the feeling of the old Settlers games and build on top of that. The inventor of the series, Volker Wertich, is responsible for this one so I'm confident this will be achieved :)

Regarding the resource management:
Yes, this is exactly how it's planned (or rather: already implemented) in this one, too. Resources don't magically teleport in a big pool and like in e.g. Settlers III your carriers will have to get the wood from the woodcutter to the new building before construction can begin.

Like the older games of the series, The Settlers will also be a game where you can simply sit back and watch your Settlers work (or take a break), buildings don't suddenly appear but have to be build and it's not supposed to be hectic RTS like Starcraft or something similar.

I can't give you a clear info on the maps yet, but as far as I know there'll be randomly generated maps for more replayability.
Brilliant, that is the best news of the entire Gamescom week so far. That is what I loved about the earlier versions as well. If there are random maps and big maps it would be fantastic.

Thanks a lot for your fast replies. Since you have your Q&A list out anyway, you might as well add map editor with a questionmark to it. Personally, if there are random maps, I don't need that as much but I sense that the community will ask for it.

Also interesting would be if there is a support for modding and a Steam Workshop. I know it's difficult to get everyones taste right. Personally I would like long production chains, many goods and less military aspect. But in order to make this a success you probably also need to look after those who did not play the old Sttlers before and they might not be interested if it is too complicated. However a Steam Workshop might address that issue if Ubisoft offeres the base game with the same goods and profesions as Settlers 1, then the community might add/replace buildings or professions for those who are into deep details on production and a variety of goods.

But that is all extra, I don't want to sound greedy. I am already very happy to learn that resources are individual and not in a virtual pool, that buildings are properly constructed and that it will be a gae where I can sit back and watch the game as well.

TJL1980
08-23-2018, 09:22 AM
When reading the news about a new Settlers title, i was filled with joy but had an immediate URGE to go in and tell (no, BEG) Ubisoft to go back COMPLETELY to Settlers 2 (10th anniversary) look & feel if they still take themselves and the Settlers franchise serious.
In fact, I made an account on this forum exclusively for this.

As is being said before, Ubisoft (or UbiLOL) managed to pretty much destroy the HoMM franchise when they took over control. Parts 1 to 3 were great and everything after was just pure backwards development and righteous trash really.

Same happened when they took over control of Settlers. Part 1 was gold, part 2 was EPIC, part 3 was meh and everything after just went downhill VERY fast.

Now seeing what they have planned with the upcoming part, especially seeing them again going to use this unwanted " next-gen engine" look & feel is NOT the way to go

Why can't you guys keep it simple and go back to classic times? Next gen kids barely play games like these anyway so their is no customer pool there. Most players have great memories from part 1 and 2 and just want a part 2 SEQUEL. No fancy high end 3d models, superfluous next gen physics and complex mechanics but just a plain simple Settlers game containing the old but gold building mechanics (roads with flags) and simplified economics.

I know nothing of what i'm trying to say here will influence game development but just wanted to let you guys know that you should not be surprised if Settlers 2019 will be another fail game and the final nail in the coffin for the franchise when you guys come up with yet another next-gen type of Settlers that contains 0 nostalgia and atmosphere. Please this time make graphics inferior to CLASSIC mechanics/ game play. Old fans care less about graphics and fancy stuff.

We just want Settlers 2 look & feel with a new story line, some more races to choose from and an improved AI.That's it. Really, that is all there is to it and succes guaranteed. At least, for me and many old fans i know of :D

Please do not make yet another bad decision with that overhyped Snowdrop engine. It's not suitable to create a classic Settlers experience!!!

Edit:
Going back to old transportation system (good over roads) = check. Please do not forget about the donkeys! :)

EdIt 2:
Is this how the game will look??? https://www.thesettlers-alliance.com/the-settlers-announcement-2/?lang=en

If so, once again: these new age graphics really bother me :(
Please utilize this 'new' engine to recapture the OLD but GOLD graphics. No need for high level of detailed graphics in 3d 4K or anything. No need for individual characters all with their own unique cosmetics and personality. No need for walls, no need for fighting arenas. This ain't Stronghold (yet another classic thats been destroyed due to poor sequals) Just a waste of resources really! KEEP IT REAL. Who is actually requesting this? :(

tx

OlaHaldor
08-23-2018, 12:24 PM
I do get what you mean; graphics and charm vs. function, fun and gameplay.

But don't forget; many of the charming memories we have, and the ties to the pixeled graphics were because they were state of the art back then. I think this has a certain charm still, but only because I played those games when I was 10 years old (and beyond), and that was basically where graphics were at.

I think Settlers 7 did a good job to get back into the cartoony, cute and charming look and feel as graphics. The gameplay and the sectors was OK, but the ideal has already been confirmed: barracks expand territory. No sectors. YAY! ;)

I also liked the tech tree, export/trade and the monks in Settlers 7. I wouldn't mind if they are back in the new Settlers.

Settlers 2/3 + graphics gets a thumb up from me. Can't wait to discover more about this game. And I really hope there will be a few closed testing rounds for feedback!

Ubi-Thorlof
08-23-2018, 12:34 PM
@ hiswitzend1969: It's a bit early to talk about digital/physical versions. But from what we're doing lately with most of our games:
Ubisoft Store will offer digital game versions only
Local retailers (in some countries) will offer physical versions with a disk

@Ove_Haithabu: I'll put those questions about map editor and modding on the list.

The whole military and economy aspects of the game we'll probably address in separate blog posts at a later date since they're such important parts of the game.
The game will feature different victory conditions, meaning you don't have to go for military if you don't want to.

@TJL1980: I don't think high-end graphics are the main priority for this game at all, but it's supposed to look nice, cute and full of life.

We totally understand some people really love the first Settlers games, but in the same way the following games also have a huge fan base (Settlers 3 in particular, from what I read). And which title is the best in the end is down to personal preference:
There are lots of people who really like The Settlers 7 and still play the multiplayer. Personally, I really didn't like this game but at the same time those people would like to see the new Settlers being similar to what they love from The Settlers 7.
I also want to add that for the studio, the people working on the game, trying new stuff is just a very exciting thing to do; the inventor of the series is leading the development of this title so we got someone who very well knows how the old titles played and felt.

The arena you can see on screenshots and the trailer is for one of the new victory conditions besides the pure military one. And walls, well...this is not going to be a castle-builder, the main focus will remain the economy and logistics (with pushcarts and carriages), building the settlement itself. Building defences is just one feature of many.
Did you play "Cultures" back in the days by any chance? Lots of what I've seen of The Settlers so far reminds me of it (in a very positive way) and it also had things like e.g. lots of different character models while also having a heavy economy focus with some logistics aspects.

I hope we can still win you over with this one, but I understand that many things are different from what you loved in Settlers II. We'll release more info over the next weeks and months and will also try to address concerns from veterans like you.

I'll start a thread for coming Q&A later today and if you got any specific questions already, post them there and we'll get back to them probably sometime in September.

@OlaHaldor: We will have (closed) tests at a later date, but I don't have any details for you yet. Will let you know as soon as we know more :)

KingstonBlack
08-23-2018, 12:43 PM
Did you play "Cultures" back in the days by any chance? Lots of what I've seen of The Settlers so far reminds me of it (in a very positive way) and it also had things like e.g. lots of different character models while also having a heavy economy focus with some logistics aspects.

@Ubi-Thorlof: I absolutely love Cultures - still playing it! Really encouraging to hear this :D

TJL1980
08-23-2018, 01:27 PM
Well, talking about fast feedback :)

I know that most of my 'wishes' come fort from nostalgia and most likely not implementable in latest iteration of Settlers game concepts... However, with new games/franchises that have yet to show and prove themselves to the public for the first time i completely understand developers using state of the art technologies. And they get away with it simply because they have no ' predecessors' to compete with.

When taking up daring projects such as trying to " revive" a classic franchise such as Settlers i do believe developers should be VERY careful and be VERY picky when it comes to both game play AND visual adaptation. Especially when the most heard comment about this news is that LOTS of Settlers fans on MANY game/tech websites refer to Settlers 2 and wishing to see a game that resembles/look a lot like it (basically a sequel). This fan base, even though barely active for the eye, is hands down still way bigger than that of any other Settlers successor (e.g. Settlers 7). Ergo: succes guaranteed.

Thus instead of reinventing the wheel, or in case of Ubisoft, tearing the whole franchise apart and emphasizing on doing ' completely new things' because THEY think it's exciting (of course doing something new is more fun than doing the same tric over and over again ;) ) why not just giving the audience what they want.

Why is it that developers in general want to keep doing things ' different' and trying to come up with 'new' things instead of just expanding on successful formulas? Undeniably Settlers 2 (or even 1 for that matter) would still have a large active online community if this game was intensively supported these and had a great online MP environment. But indeed, this game is kind of outdated tech-wise.

Anyway, i'm an pretty unanimous person in the online " Settlers" scene and don't expect my voice (of concerns) to have any influence on game design (after all, it's your product). It's just that i, among many others, have seen so many classic games being ' revived' (although according to media hypes), being hyped crazy, just to be disappointing afterwards seeing the end product is completely different (again both game play wise as visuals) than what people had stored in the back of their heads.

And this time i just felt the need to "raise my voice" e.g. trying to give some sort of constructive feedback even though most if it is premature ranting about older versions of the game. Anyway, i just hope i somehow reached devs ears (and just search the internet, i'm just one of MANY that is longing for a classic Settlers game) and somehow gave a little nod in the right direction :)

Well, still a long way to go. I'll keep track of the game and if needed will be willing to provide feedback on game aspects.

p.s. nope, didn't play Cultures.

Ubi-Thorlof
08-23-2018, 05:58 PM
Pardon, I don't want to spam here :D
We just want to have an active dialogue both-ways and especially now directly after the announcement there're a lot of questions and concern which are worth addressing, I think.

We're very happy to receive such massive feedback since Tuesday, be it in the forums, on Facebook or the website. It helps us to figure out which aspects we may have to elaborate on a bit more (e.g. cause things are unclear) and, of course, what the community overall thinks of what we're showing.

We'll publish more info soon and there'll be some playtests, as I mentioned, which should help getting a better idea of what we're doing with the new Settlers and how similar to the old games it'll be.
So, thank you for your feedback so far, even though I'm afraid you won't get the exact experience you were hoping for. But maybe still a title you can enjoy playing.

Oh...and you should definitely check out Cultures if you have some spare time, GOG sells it, as far as I'm aware. It's beautiful and a lot of fun.

disturberking
08-25-2018, 09:24 AM
Hey everyone, I figured to add my 2 cents here, since everyone is quite excited and the community manager is actively participating too.

It's funny to see some of you saying "Make it like Settlers 2", "Make it Settlers 1", "Make it 3!!", and it is funny because my say would be, make it like Settlers 4! :D It is because that was my childhood dream game I was always restricted to play as much as I'd have wanted. We're mostly grown up now so let's think of some constructive feedback now.

1) Be it an old game, early settlers series raised the die-hard fans we have today for a reason, and those qualities of the game are timeless and should also work today(graphics are irrelevant here)
2) The decision making concering every part of the economy, from raw material to refined goods, and which user had to put in, was what made the series really special.
2) You may think a remake of this older edition would be immediate success, just like Age of Empires HD, right? Well, AoE had an active community throughout the years, and users continued to develop their own version of the game(think: Forgotten Empires), which was basically a living proof for Microsoft that a remake makes sense and that there is enough community to carry it on. Think now of the old Settlers and consider making the same effort from publisher's point of view, I honestly think it wouldn't work.
4) Ubisoft will want to attract NEW and OLD players, and the reason why anyone is listening to you is because Ubisoft probably doesn't have it all figured out yet, and they are trying to see how big, and attractive, the Old playerbase actually is.

As everyone else, I hope the new game turns out amazing and that the series will live on. Best of luck to developers and everyone who's making the effort on the revival of the game!

Pulsifer88
08-29-2018, 07:14 PM
Throwing my hat into the ring as well, though I'm not speaking for anyone but myself.

If it's permissible, I'd like it if you looked to two other, relatively old city builders.

In terms of the military component, I would love it if you looked to Caesar III. In Caesar III, firstly, you could choose to go down a campaign with more or virtually no military component. While a military component is a good way of putting a stressor on the player, it's also not what a lot of people are looking for in a city building game. Secondly, when Caesar III introduced the military component, it was purely as a defensive measure and mostly to force you to branch out your technology and to milestone your progression with an extra layer of challenge. You had to put up a wall and to defend yourself. Thirdly, it kicked ***. Ballista towers ftw.

The other game is Black & White. The awful control and camera scheme and the godly powers and Creature aside, I've never felt as free nor my city building to be as organic as in Black & White. The Anno series forces you down a min-max funnel into maximum efficiency. Black & White was about building a village that felt real.

I loved the Settlers 7 (172 hours on Steam) as much as I love Settlers 2-4 and I really want you to keep the child-friendly, cute and playful tone and the wholesome campaign theme. I thought it was really unfair how little recognition Blue Byte got for the S7 campaign, it was really well done and so far unparalelled in a strategy game.

Finally, I just want to say that hearing The Settlers (8) is in development was the best news I heard from GamesCom and it has put a smile on my face this whole week. Thank you!

(If this turns out to be a F2P browser and/or mobile phone title, I will literally mail you a voice tape of me crying.)

Stainless001
09-06-2018, 11:41 AM
It looks beautiful! Can't wait to find out more!

ALiEN_1988
09-09-2018, 08:51 AM
Everything was so far said. So I just add one point, which is pretty importnant to me.

Be me in 1996... eight years old... Waiting for dad to come home from work.Already looking at main menu of Settler II.
Dad's home... I'm yelling from PC "Come quick, we will finally beat the fourth mission!"

I was able to sit next to my father for hours, just watching how he plays the game and I enjoyed it as much as he did. And now after 22 years I want you to makes this game as much enjoyable for me and my son, to relive that experience from my childhood.

I'm rly looking forward to this. Good luck!

vexor_sb
09-12-2018, 11:01 PM
I am also old member. 1-4 were my childhood games , 4 been best, just for best resource control, freedom and best graphic. i play it even today. Always on my PC. The game is perfect.

my thoughts.

- i agree for some building upgrades, so we are not forced to make 10 small temples to boost mana production.

- military should stay simple-ish , no need for 10 different units or 5 levels.

- some new buildings and production chains also welcome, something in area of priests and magic

- i am not for roads like 1-3. Maybe an option for building roads ( where they would traveled a bit faster and transition of resources would be faster due 2-3 settlers carying stuff from flag to flag ) , but i liked their roaming free and making road by themselves like in 4 .

- iron production for tools and upgraded iron to steal for weapons ( would extend period before getting attacked )

- bigger rivers that would bring some new defending tactics

- big maps :D

Spinnerke1967
09-15-2018, 10:33 PM

I can read this answer in a few different ways. If I read it in a negative way, the developers will generate a few maps and include those in the game....
I hope that is not what you ment.

The first version of Settlers, for me was on the Amiga, in that game there was included a map generator.
That thing on it's own, made up for years of gameplay.

So I do hope, there is a Generator included with this game.

csakiss
09-18-2018, 06:43 PM
I just want to say that I am really really excited about new Settlers. I was afraid that the franchise died with the latest "Champions of Anteria" debacle. I loved the Settlers 2 10th anniversary addition for its original cuteness and the transport end expansion system. However, I do believe that the best Settlers game is the latest Settlers 7. I have only played ~100 hours on Steam, but the attention to details of that game is just mind-boggling. I can never get tired to look at the quirky funny animations of the different workers. Although, I am not a big fan of the sectors in Settlers 7, I accept that it's a different type of game play. The bottom line is that the heart and soul of these type of games are the economy, logistics and the animation. If those 3 are done correctly, which I have no doubt will be done perfectly by the hard-working developers, all the other extras are welcome to spice the game up. I am really looking forward to see more news about the game

Thomashammer78
10-03-2018, 10:34 PM
I constantly go back my purchase of Settlers 7 in steam and wondering if a new one would ever come and finally it looks like there might be...

is there anyway to be considered a tester of this?

DzonLejn
10-05-2018, 02:06 PM
Great news but: "returns to Windows PC" :-(
Ok no Mac but no iOS? nooooo

Ubi-Thorlof
10-05-2018, 05:24 PM
Windows only, yes. No Mac or Linux version is planned.

And @Thomashammer78: There will be alpha/beta tests in the future but we don't have a date for those yet. As soon as we have this planned we'll let you know about the date and how to sign up.

DzonLejn
10-06-2018, 11:47 AM
:-( that makes me sad :-(
Mac and iOS user...

yinMastah
10-08-2018, 09:08 AM
:-( that makes me sad :-(
Mac and iOS user...

Well let's be honest here. Majority of PC gamers simply use Windows. From a business perspective developing a game for MAC/IOS simply is not feasible.
I mean, it's fine people wan't to be 'exclusive' and all and do it the alternative way but they shouldn't be surprised that they'll miss the boat in many cases that way.;)

Anyways, currently enjoying Settlers 10th Anniversary - Vikings add-on. (so little is known about this add-on, let alone easy to find an English version for it but i got one :))
If Ubi wants instant succes they should just go along that line again.

Wished to see more updates about the game in here. Perhaps some more screenshots of what cartoonish style it will have...

Ubi-Thorlof
10-08-2018, 04:07 PM
Each week we're releasing a new blog with info about the game - including new screenshots and - like last week - even smaller gameplay clips.
Did you already check out "What you see is what you get" blog? We're always linking them here in the news:
https://www.thesettlers-alliance.com/en/dev-wysiwyg/

This week: roads and transport - stay tuned!

k4dk4d
10-29-2018, 11:43 PM
This is amazing likes soo good and then it gooing back to the basics with slight enchantments... looking for to it coming

I do like beta testing and if there is any please drop me a mail. i would love to give my feedback once again!

k4dk4d
10-29-2018, 11:49 PM
going back to the basic and what made settlers, this is a good things and with the general population input we will make this great. i like the graphic enhancement and the upgrades will be good.

If you require my assistance in how it play and the improvement if there is a beta already running please invite me and i be happy to help alway like giving feedback on a good i loved to play

so let the adventures begin ...

Ubi-Thorlof
11-02-2018, 04:35 PM
There are no play tests yet, but we'll definitely have some in 2019.
We'll update you here in the forums, social media and of course on http://thesettlers-alliance.com/en as soon as we have news in this regard :)

SpecH82T
11-16-2018, 12:18 AM
Excited. Bought the history edition just a few minutes ago. Can't wait for the new game release though. ^^

Bishlives
11-26-2018, 01:52 PM
Excited. Bought the history edition just a few minutes ago. Can't wait for the new game release though. ^^
Hi is I'd download only thanks

Th3_Justin
03-07-2019, 04:04 PM
when is the release and will it only be on pc it looks like a pc game have not played any of the settlers games. also where would i find the old ones if i wanted to try them.

Tittyhead
03-15-2019, 10:02 AM
Where to find the old sttlers ^^
https://store.ubi.com/eu/the-settlers-history-collection/5b647011ef3aa548048c5977.html

When aprox : end of april to aug (no rummors ... just a wide guess .)[
Since parlof says in the start of the thread in april 2018 that they have one year to convince and show)

Humans often forget to says to each-other : Great work - you are doing magnificent - keep up the good work .
For everyone ^^

Just found this some mechanics: https://www.thesettlers-alliance.com/en/the-year-2018-for-the-settlers/

me110697
03-20-2019, 12:04 PM
Is there any opportunity the game will release on PS4 or Mac?

psnrs99
03-23-2019, 05:19 AM
looking for people to play settlers 4 with,( history edition ) heard u have to add people will be active.

Todilo
04-05-2019, 07:00 AM
will we get mapeditor/campaigneditor/mod support? I would love to see the community come up with great new building additions and such much like City Skylines. I believe mod support only increases the value enormously due to "free content" the community provides.

shop78355D2E3
04-11-2019, 12:33 PM
I agree with the above. Map/campaign editor and mod support are the best ways to improve replayability over a long period.

xPharTingx
04-13-2019, 04:23 AM
I do like the sound of being able to set things in motion and then be able to watch the graphics as the build queues, etc progress. I did find the early versions of the game a little frustrating when productions stopped and it took a little while to figure out why and then resolve that (From memory, most usually from a lack of available carriers, or gold coins, etc). It would be nice if there were some sort of traffic light system (or economy table) which allerted to possible shortfalls.

Perhaps there's a possibility of an "Aggression stance" in settings so players can somehow flag that they are either totally peaceable, through some scale up to full-on aggressive and this stance setting had a strong influence over how often waves of attacks would be staged against such players. If the stance could be adjusted in-game, then even the most aggressive folk could tone down their aggression long enough to be able to complete a real life meal before the next waves of attacks started? And the totally passive folk might have much more of a player versus environment game than a warring game?

I realise there is much work to do, but I am also saddened to read it will be at least 12 more months until there is a playable game! <sigh> Wish I could do something to actively speed things along a tad!

Imparfecto
04-22-2019, 02:09 AM
I would have to agree with a lot of other posts in this thread regarding the mechanics from the older titles. Using workers or military buildings to expand territorial borders, using geologists to discover if terrain contained any resources - these are just a couple of examples of what really made the game unique. Some people may prefer the changes to the series that followed in later installments, but placing down 10 outposts to control the entire map territory honestly just is not the same and it dries up rather quickly.

I welcome good graphics, too. It is not the be all and end all, but it is certainly a bonus. The trailer does make me think of the game Foundation when comparing graphics, but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

These days, mod support is almost essential for a games longterm health so I am hoping that this will be a key feature of the upcoming release. Some people like simplicity, yet others such as myself do enjoy very deep, rich and complex content to add flavour and variety. If the base game code is solid and the code supports modding, then it will attract a mod community.

Basically, if you took Settlers 1 - 4, combined those with the game 'Banished', with updated graphics and mod support, then you will be onto a winner.

Also - one common phrase I am reading a lot in the dev blogs is that construction space is 'limited' and 'precious'; I'm hoping that it might just be a theatrical narrative but having the option to play XL maps which are actually XL is something I hope will be on offer.
"It's good, but it's not big enough" is a common opinion when you look toward many other city-building/simulation games, for example:
- Civ6 modding community created maps 7 times larger than the largest base game size;
- Cities: Skylines modding community created maps comprising 81 playable tiles as opposed to the base game of 9;
- Banished modding community created map seeds 4 times larger then the largest base game size.
Of course a lot of this will be determined by each persons PC Specs whether or not their set-up will support such settings, but it would be worthwhile bearing in mind that there will be a very large portion of players which would thoroughly enjoy a marathon styled session.

In regards to roads and walls - presuming that we can manually designate these if they are to be included - one particular feature which would be really nice to see is if we can have the option to select both a straight line tool and a curved tool - similar to how you lay roads in Cities: Skylines. It would greatly add to the aesthetic possibilities of the game to be able to have real curvature instead of stitching together multiple straight lines giving it a hexagon-style effect instead.

gajodoporto
07-16-2019, 11:04 AM
Is it possible to download the game already? I canīt find anything ..

pogle63
07-20-2019, 01:36 PM
I am really looking forward to The Settlers Return I hope that they do a good job of it and as most people have commented so far use the good points of the previous games to create a new one we can all enjoy.
City building and fighting!
Was disappointed by the History edition of Settlers it was riddled with glitches.

Settlers 7 was a great game lots of options but the in game engine algorithms were sort of predictable in as much as: if you got the trade stone for fish - you would almost for sure run out of stone and fishermen would stop working. It always seemed that if your success relied upon a single resource, the game would deny you that one thing and make it very difficult to re-instate.

Hoping for a new 4-6 hour game to play with friends it would be nice to be able to save a multiplayer game and be able to restart it. Also would love a proper level builder used to love making proper custom levels the current level editor on Settlers 7 is quick and easy but the fixed terrains and maps do eventually restrict the level of modification available.

HOWEVER the fact that Ubisoft are making a new SETTLERS is fantastic news and a great tribute to those of us who have supported the Series from day 1 decades ago. Settlers has always been my favorite strategy game.

pogle63
07-20-2019, 01:40 PM
One last thing Please don`t make this a Kingdoms of Anteria travesty - that game was terrible. Building Managing and Fighting 3 staples of true Settlers game ...........Am excited!!!

Ubi-Thorlof
07-24-2019, 04:14 PM
Is it possible to download the game already? I canīt find anything ..The new The Settlers isn't out yet - but keep an eye on our channels during gamescom when we'll have more to announce.

One last thing Please don`t make this a Kingdoms of Anteria travesty - that game was terrible. Building Managing and Fighting 3 staples of true Settlers game ...........Am excited!!!Thank you for your comment(s), pogle63! We're confident this one is gonna be a lot of fun.
And we're excited about showing you more and especially letting you get your hands on the game yourself at a later date (no details yet, in case you ask ;) )

H4XIMO
08-09-2019, 05:24 PM
Please, tell us that this version of The settlers will be on console (Xbox) also :)

Spillmester
08-24-2019, 09:10 PM
The store page says its releasing end of 2020, is the year wrong on there?

Ubi-Thorlof
08-27-2019, 12:54 PM
The Settlers is planned to release in 2020 - but we don't have details regarding the exact release date yet.

However, I can tell you it's not gonna release on December 31st, this date is a placeholder.

@H4XIMO: We're planning a release on Windows PC only.

scarecrow697
08-27-2019, 02:28 PM
looks good, but one thought occurs. Is this new game intended to take the place of your current game"settlers online" as something has to be done with that game as flash is being stopped soon?

Ubi-Thorlof
08-28-2019, 12:20 PM
The new The Settlers has nothing to do directly with The Settlers Online but is a reboot of the main franchise for PC. The Settlers Online is separate game.

Nrob
09-05-2019, 04:07 PM
Please deliver this for the Mac as well as the PC, I have played every version of settlers, but now have a Mac, even manage to play settlers on line on ti.

witteman2005
09-14-2019, 03:32 PM
When will it be released i read diffent dates