PDA

View Full Version : Kensei / Berserker

frewbear
08-10-2018, 01:35 AM
Anyone else find it ****ing infuriating to fight one of these idiots? Ps4, playing since the beginning but Kensei has become a ******** character to try and fight. Berserkers with revenge build, nevermind... But right now it doesnt matter what you do to any character. It feels like you outplay your enemy, destroy them, go for the kill and they pop revenge and kill you or you have to try and survive till you can finish someone you were just previously wrecking. As a sidenote, **** Shugoki and all this sudden love for him. He is an ******* and one of the least fun to play as or against. His DE is easily avoided 1v1 but guaranteed otherwise and anyone who defends it is a troll or a Shugoki main.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 01:40 AM
I actually really loathe fighting both Kensei and Zerker. Kensei more simply due to the fact that you have to just wait for him to do things otherwise you lose and Zerker because armor spam.

I don't believe that armored lights belong in this game in any right.

NHLGoldenKnight
08-10-2018, 02:29 AM
I struggle against both of them, even I used to play Kensei for a little bit. Kensei is frustrating with his strangely timed and telegraphed moves and Berserker with his HA and revenge.

So many times I have died after almost beating Berserker just so he can activate revenge, kill me with one strike and then everyone else on his way as long as revenge keeps going.

But most of the heroes are broken in 4v4, it is just too easy to abuse game mechanics. For example, Highlander was my main for some time, until they buffed him and imo, he is completely op now. With new Valkyrie rework, trend is for them to team up. So highlander can throw 200 unblocakbles while you are laying on the ground after Valk swept you. Disgusting overall and I hope that someday we finally get single pick in 4v4.

Helnekromancer
08-10-2018, 02:36 AM
I play on Xbox, Kensei is the perfect example of the perfect rework, the dude has every possible tool to kill everyone. Never are you in a situation as Kensei where you say "I'm useless". Soft feints that can lead into a light, a heavy or a grab is very annoying to predict.

Just have to take it slow with Kensei and bait him into side dodging. Most Kenseis don't even use half his moveset in Dominion. So it's not too hard.

Berzerker on the other hand is aids. They gave him super armor heavies so guess what, every zeker pre-swings, while moving towards you like ***.holes, using super armor as a crutch. You can parry his first heavy swing or his side dash heavy so he doesn't get the combo start but if he is pre-swinging all you can do is roll backwards because he is just going to use that as a bait and grab you or cancel into a quick light and back to his heavy swings.

I think both of these guys have super armor lights, I don't play zerker but I Know if you soft feint your unblockable swing into a light that light now has super armor. I try to avoid both in 4v4 my Nobushi can't really fight neither of them, once has a clearly better kit than mine and the other just relies heavily on super armored attacks.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 03:35 AM
Once again, any character that forces you to play their game simply by existing is in need of a balance change of some sort.

Charmzzz
08-10-2018, 07:53 AM
Once again, any character that forces you to play their game simply by existing is in need of a balance change of some sort.

Uhm, almost every Char can do that? And if you have Characters that cannot force anything, well, welcome back to the turtle-meta we had for way too long.

Siegfried-Z
08-10-2018, 12:45 PM
While a good zerk is an absolut nightmare to fight.. i don't agree for kensei.

Kensei is far more predictable than zerk is.
And it is not easy sometimes To start your chain as Kensei .

I am rep 21 Kensei and really if u have To fight ****ing turtles as Warden, Cent, Conq or Raider i would rater pick up my valk rep 13 without a doubt.

Vakris_One
08-10-2018, 01:01 PM
So you would prefer to never have to be challenged to go outside your comfort zone and adapt your approach and instead just beat every hero using the exact same tactic? That sounds like a) an incredibly boring game and b) not a fighting game worth playing.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 01:42 PM
Uhm, almost every Char can do that? And if you have Characters that cannot force anything, well, welcome back to the turtle-meta we had for way too long.

So you would prefer to never have to be challenged to go outside your comfort zone and adapt your approach and instead just beat every hero using the exact same tactic? That sounds like a) an incredibly boring game and b) not a fighting game worth playing.
Both of you took what I said completely out of context.

The way I meant it was that vs Kensei you are not allowed to even throw an attack without him doing anything.

I have to sit and wait for him to do anything and if he does his top heavy mixup, because he has armored lights(I think it's the unblockable one that leads into the armored light) I have to wait for him to do something because pressing the situation against him is not an option because if he sees me dodge then he will cancel it and GB me.

Attack and eat an armored light,stand still and get hit by the unblockable unless you just know he won't cancel it, or dodge and he will cancel it and GB you, dodge attack and still lose to an armored light.

I play a bunch of fighting games so I speak on way more than just this game, adapting is not the problem. And first and foremost, For Honor is not a fighting game in the slightest. Kensei forces you to respect him to the point of near turtling because of the fact that he has an answer to all counter play against him, he doesn't have a weakness except "baiting" him and that's not a weakness of the character it is a weakness of the player.

This is the real issue of Kensei.

Siegfried-Z
08-10-2018, 01:53 PM

The way I meant it was that vs Kensei you are not allowed to even throw an attack without him doing anything.

I have to sit and wait for him to do anything and if he does his top heavy mixup, because he has armored lights(I think it's the unblockable one that leads into the armored light) I have to wait for him to do something because pressing the situation against him is not an option.

That's the real issue and it comes down to his armored lights.

I play a bunch of fighting games so I speak on way more than just this game, adapting is not the problem. And first and foremost, For Honor is not a fighting game in the slightest. Kensei forces you to respect him to the point of near turtling because of the fact that he has an answer to all counter play against him, he doesn't have a weakness except "baiting" him and that's not a weakness of the character it is a weakness of the player.

Kensei doesn't have any weaknesses ?
Do you want to try to engage against good turtles or light spammer ? (+and that's a lot of char now )

Only your top light is viable (side are parried).
Dashing To engage is always parried
Zone is not working if the opponent is not stupid and keep guard on his right.. (works against assassins most of times)
Pommel strike is possible To do on a 1seconde heavy .

Just try .

He is strong. But in any ways op. I see no problem with him right now.

His main strengh is when it is time To anti gank.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Kensei doesn't have any weaknesses ?
Do you want to try to engage against good turtles or light spammer ? (+and that's a lot of char now )

Only your top light is viable (side are parried).
Dashing To engage is always parried
Zone is not working if the opponent is not stupid and keep guard on his right.. (works against assassins most of times)
Pommel strike is possible To do on a 1seconde heavy .

Just try .

He is strong. But in any ways op. I see no problem with him right now.

His main strengh is when it is time To anti gank.

Anyone struggles against turtles and Kensei has an opener so he at least has a work around.

Lights are getting parried by anyone with a set of eyeballs these days.
Dashing to engage is parried for a lot of characters.
His zone is 500ms just like Warden's and it is really good.
Pommel strike is still a part of his mixup.

Of course you don't address the existence of armored lights which don't belong in the game.

I primarily do duels and only play other modes when I am forced to by Orders.

I don't speak in terms of any mode other than 1v1

Vakris_One
08-10-2018, 02:01 PM

I have to sit and wait for him to do anything and if he does his top heavy mixup, because he has armored lights I have to wait for him to do something because pressing the situation against him is not an option.

That's the real issue and it comes down to his armored lights.

No, the real issue is your ability to fight a Kensei and your refusal to actually learn the character. Example: you still think his armoured lights are a problem. He only gets hyper armour on his light finishers meaning he has to actually combo his way into them. If you're letting him get to them from neutral or always losing a trade with them instead of blocking them or predicting them then the problem is with you.

The Kensei has always thrived against ultra aggressive playstyles even before his rework so that's nothing new about the hero. As I've already told you twice before; that doesn't mean you can never throw an attack against him. What it means is that you have to temper your aggression against him and know precisely where you can pressure him and where you shouldn't. For example you can stuff him out of his entire top heavy mixup game by bonking him on the nose with a light on reaction to his top heavy from neutral.

You need to learn when it is advantageous to press the situation against him and when it is not advantageous. That's not too much ask. Every fighting game that has multiple characters asks this of you. You can keep going on about how Kensei is an issue simply because you personally don't like fighting him or you can seek to improve your ability in dealing with him like many other players have done. It's your choice.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 02:07 PM
No, the real issue is your ability to fight a Kensei and your refusal to actually learn the character. Example: you still think his armoured lights are a problem. He only gets hyper armour on his light finishers meaning he has to actually combo his way into them. If you're letting him get to them from neutral or always losing a trade with them instead of blocking them or predicting them then the problem is with you.

The Kensei has always thrived against ultra aggressive playstyles even before his rework so that's nothing new about the hero. As I've already told you twice before; that doesn't mean you can never throw an attack against him. What it means is that you have to temper your aggression against him and know precisely where you can pressure him and where you shouldn't. For example you can stuff him out of his entire top heavy mixup game by bonking him on the nose with a light on reaction to his top heavy from neutral.

You need to learn when it is advantageous to press the situation against him and when it is not advantageous. That's not too much ask. Every fighting game that has multiple characters asks this of you. You can keep going on about how Kensei is an issue simply because you personally don't like fighting him or you can seek to improve your ability in dealing with him like many other players have done. It's your choice.

I have been trying to find all of the Kensei players in the world to practice against to try and overcome it.

By all means, if you have this game on PC then I invite you for training sessions.

I am not the kind of person who refuses to learn how to get around a matchup and I actually look forward to fighting Kensei players since I despise him so much.

If you have the game on PC then I would humbly ask for a friend request so I could have all the practice I need.

Siegfried-Z
08-10-2018, 02:14 PM
Anyone struggles against turtles and Kensei has an opener so he at least has a work around.

Lights are getting parried by anyone with a set of eyeballs these days.
Dashing to engage is parried for a lot of characters.
His zone is 500ms just like Warden's and it is really good.
Pommel strike is still a part of his mixup.

Of course you don't address the existence of armored lights which don't belong in the game.

I primarily do duels and only play other modes when I am forced to by Orders.

I don't speak in terms of any mode other than 1v1

Then looking at what you're saying he is exatcly as many others char.

So no problem with Kensei ;)

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 02:18 PM
Then looking at what you're saying he is exatcly as many others char.

So no problem with Kensei ;)

Have a standardized set of things that are the result of the fact that we are human has nothing to do with the way the character was made.

Vakris_One
08-10-2018, 02:30 PM
I have been trying to find all of the Kensei players in the world to practice against to try and overcome it.

By all means, if you have this game on PC then I invite you for training sessions.

I am not the kind of person who refuses to learn how to get around a matchup and I actually look forward to fighting Kensei players since I despise him so much.

If you have the game on PC then I would humbly ask for a friend request so I could have all the practice I need.
Fair enough. I can send you a friend request when I get on later today.

Awlkara
08-10-2018, 02:34 PM
Fair enough. I can send you a friend request when I get on later today.

Thank you.

I admit that I do complain a lot but I would rather do something that would put a stop to my complaining rather than complain for the sake of it.

frewbear
08-10-2018, 03:29 PM
Aw, look at that. I match-made you two with my ranting thread. Cuuute.

AzureSky.
08-10-2018, 06:26 PM
you can just spam a 500 ms attack when kensei starts a top heavy animation and you win, kensei it's really balanced and i think it's one of the few good character designs the game has, zerker on the other hand needs a nerf cause he can do what kensei does but a lot more faster, with kensei you can react since it's one of the slowest moves on the game (top heavy) remember that he can ONLY start the mixups from top so you know when he is going to do things, he is not op at all.

AzureSky.
08-10-2018, 07:10 PM
Thank you.

I admit that I do complain a lot but I would rather do something that would put a stop to my complaining rather than complain for the sake of it.

OMG you are the nicest person i saw on this forum, hahaha glad we have someone like you here :)

NHLGoldenKnight
08-10-2018, 08:48 PM
Since we have couple of Kensei players here, can anyone explain to me his side unblockables? I used to play old Kensei up to rep 11 but I was never proficient although it is easy to kick butt with him, at least in 4v4. But, the other day Kensei caught me completely off guard by starting his chain with unblockable right side, then unblockable left side and then unblockable top. How do you do that, is that something new or it used to be there before?

Devils-_-legacy
08-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Since we have couple of Kensei players here, can anyone explain to me his side unblockables? I used to play old Kensei up to rep 11 but I was never proficient although it is easy to kick butt with him, at least in 4v4. But, the other day Kensei caught me completely off guard by starting his chain with unblockable right side, then unblockable left side and then unblockable top. How do you do that, is that something new or it used to be there before?
By any chance was it his t4 feat that makes all his attacks unblockable till the activation ran out?

DefiledDragon
08-10-2018, 09:07 PM

You can be the best man! :D

NHLGoldenKnight
08-10-2018, 10:05 PM
By any chance was it his t4 feat that makes all his attacks unblockable till the activation ran out?

Quiet possible, if he has that feat. I don't really use feats much in 4v4, I forget that I have them so I am not sure what I had on Kensei when I used to play him.

It's just that he caught me completely off guard, whatever that was. I was dead within 2 seconds lol

Devils-_-legacy
08-10-2018, 10:47 PM
Quiet possible, if he has that feat. I don't really use feats much in 4v4, I forget that I have them so I am not sure what I had on Kensei when I used to play him.

It's just that he caught me completely off guard, whatever that was. I was dead within 2 seconds lol

Yeah sound like that was the case the best thing is to either parry or avoid him for like 30 seconds it takes awhile for the feat to be useable again

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
08-11-2018, 12:14 AM
Valkyrie's shield tackle used as an anticipation or bait tool was great at countering assassins, berserkers, and kenseis......Now there is no one who is a direct threat to their over aggression. Its all just who can spam spam spam with no balance. She was the only one who could create space enough to get out of the spam zone. RIP Valk.

NHLGoldenKnight
08-11-2018, 01:29 AM
These two will always be a mystery. Ok, maybe I suck, it is a likely possibility but it is hard to believe that majority of players are struggling with Kensei or Berserker, in 4v4.

Doesn't prove much, but I just played 3 Dominoin matches where Kensei was able to get 21:0 , 18:0 and 12:0. Maybe he is Kensei God but how in the hell you don't die for 3 matches with all of ganking, feats and etc. And usually, only other hero I see pulling those numbers is Berserker.

Awlkara
08-11-2018, 01:35 AM
OMG you are the nicest person i saw on this forum, hahaha glad we have someone like you here :)
You flatter me, I appreciate it. I do feel that there are others more worthy of that praise than myself.

Thank you all the same!

Quite the wizard I see :P

frewbear
08-11-2018, 03:46 AM
I am a wizard, thankyou. Its nice to see people randomly make "friends", it's like when your enemy of 3+ matches sends you a friend request. Doesnt happen much anymore. Lost in the raaage! But seriously, Kensei you can't defend against, on console, because he throws lightning fast hits and can change them so late. And if you decide to commit, he just dodge hits you. And so many times I have blocked it and it goes through. Not with his feat, just straight up lights. It is like they ignore anything you do. At least berserker has to whiff like a moron before spamming at you and your friends. Kensei just can poke at you until you attack and then dodge hit you. It's ******ed.

Playing_Mantis
08-11-2018, 01:02 PM
kensai is an awesome tactical character. zerker and conc are just broken. i wish all the heroes were as tactical as the kensai and not setup like the spam broken zerker. if i lose to a kensai i feel bested but after losing to a zerker i feel like i learned absolutely nothing to help me in the next fight against him. i agree with the guy who said the kensai is the best rework in the game. his moves take a little time to go so i feel like i can actually react to his madness. please tone down the zerker and the conc. I'm leaving these games at this point but won't be able to after the penalty :/

Siegfried-Z
08-11-2018, 03:33 PM
These two will always be a mystery. Ok, maybe I suck, it is a likely possibility but it is hard to believe that majority of players are struggling with Kensei or Berserker, in 4v4.

Doesn't prove much, but I just played 3 Dominoin matches where Kensei was able to get 21:0 , 18:0 and 12:0. Maybe he is Kensei God but how in the hell you don't die for 3 matches with all of ganking, feats and etc. And usually, only other hero I see pulling those numbers is Berserker.

Man that just happen sometimes . . Ive already done a 22-0 with PK while this char le not good currently.
Just about the match making sometimes.
Dont take example like this as a reality.
Specially if the 3 games was against same opponents, which just mean he was far more skill than guys of the others team.

One time i spend like 6 games agaisnt a teal i was far better than.. for a total of i think arround 110 kills and maybe 9 death arround that.

But was agaisnt the same noobs and i was playing once my Kensei, one my Valk, my Sham, my zerk or my Glad doesn't matter the char i was destroying them.

Nothing to do with Kensei but only with matchmaking.

I am a wizard, thankyou. Its nice to see people randomly make "friends", it's like when your enemy of 3+ matches sends you a friend request. Doesnt happen much anymore. Lost in the raaage! But seriously, Kensei you can't defend against, on console, because he throws lightning fast hits and can change them so late. And if you decide to commit, he just dodge hits you. And so many times I have blocked it and it goes through. Not with his feat, just straight up lights. It is like they ignore anything you do. At least berserker has to whiff like a moron before spamming at you and your friends. Kensei just can poke at you until you attack and then dodge hit you. It's ******ed.

WTH ?? Kensei has fast lights ?

I cant believe what i am reading ... only his top light is fast ! Others are 600ms.

Others fast lights are only the side lights feinted during the unblocable .. which are 500ms Btw. .. and come up only if he mix up till there, which means he deserved To be at this point.

Ahhh .. i could understand hate against Conq or Zerk or Raider in 4v4 but really kensei ?
I am on PS4 Btw so nothing To do with console. Just learn the game, sorry To say that .