PDA

View Full Version : Pick hero, then matchmake. Why is this still not ingame?

llllIllIIIIIIII
08-08-2018, 07:32 PM
Having to choose your hero after machtmaking makes absolutely no sense and is one of the reasons why people stopped playing. It's impossible to learn new heroes because there's a high chance you're going to get matched against players with Rep 832526 and a maximum gear score.

A team of four with a high MMR but 0 knowledge in the characters they're playing (and 0 gear) will never win against a team of four players at the same MMR who play their mains.

And before you say "but muh team composition". 1st, randoms don't give a crap and and 2nd the developers themselves don't care about teamwork. If they did they wouldn't have disabled teamchat by default, which makes it impossible to properly communicate with your team.

Seriously, this boggles my mind.

CandleInTheDark
08-08-2018, 10:20 PM
Team composition was the answer they gave and some randoms do care about that, I had one of each class at rep 7 on xbox and am working on that for PC though I am not arguing against your core post, I have been in the no gear stats and selection before matchmaking camps from the beginning and argued that with a change in matchmaking they could put vanguards, assassins, hybrids and heavies in one team.

But, and it's a big but.

Gear score as it currently stands ceases to be in October's Marching Fire update, they did a reveal on the new system in the last Den, I do the weekly recap so will copy and paste my notes from that reveal here. You can get it direct from the dev's mouth on the Den video here https://youtu.be/4CZvNyMvpd4?t=3470 this link will take you right to the time it starts.

This feature has been the big yearly task of the game design team.

Obviously most to all of us know the current setup, rank up, higher stats on gear. They have an entirely new system.

The system as it stands has limitations. It is not really scaleable, they have a hard max value they can't go past which is why the refined changes are minimal, they can't add new builds any more because it gets harder for players to get what they want and looking at the stats themselves there is only so much they can do with them.

The reason stats are turned off in ranked is because there is no sense of knowing what the opponent can do based on their gear.

So a new system. Aims and objectives of this were to keep the current system strength – that matches are decided by skill not gear – small gap between low and high gear, it must be scaleable so they can add things onto it and, if the community likes it, it must be something they can turn on in ranked.

Their guidelines were that the gameplay impact is predictable and consistent so people can counter play, it shouldn't compromise the battle system but complement it and they wanted it to bring meaningful choices to gameplay.

Gear stats are out, Perks are in.

Perks are in game effects that can be activated when the right gear is combined. Active perks will always be displayed on your hero. All of these perks are passive, they are consistent so there are no value iterations, some perks will evolve through games with renown but this is trackable, they synergise with modes, feats, perks and teammates, they are lower level than feats. The aim is that they are less powerful than a level one feat.

Perks will be shown in lobby, faceoff and scoreboard.

Gear has one or two perks attached to it, there is a score on each gear piece and these go up as gear is upgraded. Some of the perks work well together, for example the kensei has a perk that will give him a shield bar on respawn, he can also get another perk that gives a boost to that shield.

Up to three perks can be activated at the same time.

There are 21 perks in the Marching Fire update, seven offensive, seven defensive and seven support. Each hero has a predetermined set of seven.

By default with no gear equipped there is always one perk. Maxed gear up to three.

The default perks are

Galestorm (equipped by peacekeeper, gladiator, centurion, berserker, orochi and nuxia) which gives a ten second speed boost upon hero kill (not takedown, actual kill)

Shields up (equipped by warden, raider and kensei) which upon spawn or when revived gives 15 hp shield

Aegis (equipped by warlord, highlander, aramusha) which increases all shields received by 20% (assuming this means perk and, say, tribute shield)

Devourer (equipped by shinobi, shaman and shaolin) which gives 15 extra health per execution

Radiant rebound (equipped by valkyrie, nobushi and tiandi) which increased movement speed for ten seconds when spawned or revived

Remedy (equipped by shugoki, lawbringer, conqueror and jiang jun) which gives +10 hp on each kill.

Some perks are only looted at specific rarities, this is a matter of options not power, progression is horizontal as opposed to vertical. The new effects are not necessarily more powerful but more situational such as some activating on parry.

Pregression

At the beginning in grey you can equip two out of three,

Blue you can equip two out of four

Purple you can equip two of the first four or one of 1-3 and one of 4-5

Gold you can equip all of the first three or two of the first four or one of the first four and one of 5-6

Teal you can equip three of the first four or two from 1-4 and one from 5-7 or two of 5-7.

The aim is that the grey gear perks do not become obsolete and can be carried throughout the whole game without penalty in a gameplay sense.

Conversion plan

Your current gear will be converted to perks with the same upgraded steps and refinement.

Equipped gear will be swapped with pre-determined perks, meaning you will have perks at day one. Gear in your inventory that is not equipped will have random perks.

llllIllIIIIIIII
09-29-2018, 08:01 PM
Bump because I'm seriously getting sick of this. 7 of my heroes aren't even rep 1 and I will never play them because it's pointless. How am I supposed to learn a hero when I'm matched against rep 50 heroes?

https://i.imgur.com/nw6gJKU.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Oyux8AG.jpg

And again, 90% of the players don't give a crap about team composition.

The only way for me to learn new heroes is to play with my low(er) rep friends, or by a new copy of the game.

Illyrian_King
09-29-2018, 08:12 PM
I have always been for chosing the Hero first and transpiracy of which Heroes are picked. Team composition could become more important.

Tundra 793
09-29-2018, 08:18 PM
How am I supposed to learn a hero when I'm matched against rep 50 heroes?

3 ways;

- The tutorials and Training arena, or custom AI matches. It takes you over all the core game mechanics, and gives you good foundation to build your skills on.

- Learn by dying a lot. Notice the enemies moves', accept that you're gonna die a lot, but eventually you do start to recognize the moves, you learn the counter to them, and you can move past it.

- Ask for help. Maybe someone here would be willing to tutor you a bit.

Sipius
09-29-2018, 09:45 PM
Duel 1v1, best way to learn a class, no gear no perks.

RoosterIlluzion
09-29-2018, 10:36 PM
Having to choose your hero after machtmaking makes absolutely no sense and is one of the reasons why people stopped playing. It's impossible to learn new heroes because there's a high chance you're going to get matched against players with Rep 832526 and a maximum gear score.

A team of four with a high MMR but 0 knowledge in the characters they're playing (and 0 gear) will never win against a team of four players at the same MMR who play their mains.

And before you say "but muh team composition". 1st, randoms don't give a crap and and 2nd the developers themselves don't care about teamwork. If they did they wouldn't have disabled teamchat by default, which makes it impossible to properly communicate with your team.

Seriously, this boggles my mind.

Learn new heroes in practice or in Ai matches.

SuguruMisato
09-29-2018, 11:31 PM
Shhhhh, don't make such claims, you'll be told you're a noob and you need to git gud. The game is at perfect state right now.

XD

Specialkha
09-30-2018, 12:00 AM
Learn new heroes in practice or in Ai matches.

You do realize that bot are easy to beat (bar level 3 and even them can be beaten by a little practice).

SnizzyWizzy
09-30-2018, 09:09 AM
actually in this game if you have good skill you can still compete with under gear characters. I think the matchmaking is fine the way it is to be honest. In fact its the least of our worries in my opinion.

Specialkha
09-30-2018, 10:00 AM
actually in this game if you have good skill you can still compete with under gear characters. I think the matchmaking is fine the way it is to be honest. In fact its the least of our worries in my opinion.

Since you are matched most of the time against ppl with the same skill level, you won't be able to compete for long :)

llllIllIIIIIIII
09-30-2018, 01:23 PM
Gear isn't my main problem, and it's getting somewhat fixed anyway.

It's just, why do I have to deal with rep 59 Warden mains when I want to try my rep 0 level 1 Berserker in pvp? Even if we're on the same skill level, I'm not going to have a chance with my limited experience. I don't have the same "skill" on a character I've never tried against real players as on my main. And THAT'S the problem.

Even worse: replace the "Warden" in the example above with Berserker.