PDA

View Full Version : Have you been keeping up with JorRaptor's videos? How do you feel about the combat?

AnimusLover
08-07-2018, 10:05 PM
There is a YouTuber called Black Hokage who is regularly invited to play Ubisoft games at events. He is also a long time Assassin's Creed fan.
During E3 and again quite recently he reiterated that if you're an AC fan you're either going to love or hate Odyssey because the combat has gone full out magic and he wants people to be prepared (1:18):

https://youtu.be/DPxT6QvgJN4?t=1m18s

At first I thought that maybe he was mistaken but with the latest videos from Jor Raptor it's becoming more apparent that BlackHokage is 100% right:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4kFd4QjFhM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuES64o81vc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ea1b_fwosgI

How does everybody feel about this? Personally, I think it looks great and I can't wait to customise my gear and skills. Of course, it's hardly Assassin's Creed but then Ubisoft became less interested in making an AC game a long time ago...
Can't wait for October 5th!

cawatrooper9
08-07-2018, 10:20 PM
Saw the stealth one a few days ago, but this is the first I've seen of the Legendary armor and weapons video, so thanks for sharing!

So far, I'm mostly in. I'm not crazy about stuff like Shadow of Nyx or the Ghost Arrows of Artemis, but they're optional. More power to ya if you want to use them.

Stuff like Rush Assassination and Critical Assassination seem more my style, so I'm glad to see them as well, and I'm sure combat will similarly have a mix of skills I'm not into and ones that I'll love.

As insane as the physics look, I'm definitely getting won over by the F̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶ ̶D̶a̶h̶ Spartan Kick. Definitely looking forward to sending enemies careening off cliffs.

MnemonicSyntax
08-07-2018, 10:39 PM
And see, that's the thing I've been missing in AC is the ability to just knock people off cliffs, buildings, etc.

In prior AC games, you could have them just misstep and fall off. I think starting in Unity it hasn't been that way at all and there's this invisible wall that keeps people up there.

I enjoy the "Spartan Kick" skill in regards to how powerful it is, but you shouldn't need a skill to kick or push someone off something, like Origin has. :(

This is really evident in Black Flag, which I'm currently replaying now.

TeaBagHitter
08-08-2018, 12:25 AM
To be honest I understand why some fans dislike the combat since it is indeed focused more on the powers of the piece of eden and not the usual assassin-style combat where stealth should be a huge part in it.

However, I personally find the new combat system to be very fun and interesting especially since we're carrying a freaking piece of eden. I'm really excited to see it's powers and all those abilities, but there's just one thing bugging me: Is there really an ability called Leap of Faith which when maxed out will nullify fall damage? How would that work? If i fell from the highest tower straight to the ground and not into water or a haystack.. do i live..?

Other than that I'm really hyped for this game and can't wait to play it myself!

ProdiGurl
08-08-2018, 12:27 AM
"You can 100% play this game as an Assassins Creed stealth game if you want... but what they did is for people who want more of an action game, you can completely turn it into an action game"

I love that and I'd probly turn it into more of an Action game using the Mythology. It would make for a great reason to do a 2nd playthru - not only as a different character, but in the different styles of combat/gameplay.
This game sounds especially focused on giving Players choices to create the type of game they want to play. The more I heard from their playing experience at Ubi, the more excited I am about the game release.

MnemonicSyntax
08-08-2018, 12:51 AM
To be honest I understand why some fans dislike the combat since it is indeed focused more on the powers of the piece of eden and not the usual assassin-style combat where stealth should be a huge part in it.

However, I personally find the new combat system to be very fun and interesting especially since we're carrying a freaking piece of eden. I'm really excited to see it's powers and all those abilities, but there's just one thing bugging me: Is there really an ability called Leap of Faith which when maxed out will nullify fall damage? How would that work? If i fell from the highest tower straight to the ground and not into water or a haystack.. do i live..?

Other than that I'm really hyped for this game and can't wait to play it myself!

Based on videos I've seen, it's a swan dive followed by a tuck and roll landing, much like acrobats do.

I don't know if it works from *any* height though.

AnimusLover
08-08-2018, 01:18 AM
Saw the stealth one a few days ago, but this is the first I've seen of the Legendary armor and weapons video, so thanks for sharing!

So far, I'm mostly in. I'm not crazy about stuff like Shadow of Nyx or the Ghost Arrows of Artemis, but they're optional. More power to ya if you want to use them.

Stuff like Rush Assassination and Critical Assassination seem more my style, so I'm glad to see them as well, and I'm sure combat will similarly have a mix of skills I'm not into and ones that I'll love.

As insane as the physics look, I'm definitely getting won over by the F̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶ ̶D̶a̶h̶ Spartan Kick. Definitely looking forward to sending enemies careening off cliffs.

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the Spartan kick but his videos make it clear that such physics are possible due to skill upgrades/more mystical elements being introduced so again, context is everything. Whether people are down for that context in the first instance though is a different matter. The Ring of Chaos upgrade path is suspiciously reminiscent of the Aard sign upgrades from Witcher 3...

The idea of playing with a Piece of Eden through the entirety of the game and upgrading and customising via the skills menu is something I'm surprised the devs didn't implement a long time ago. In the past you get to use a Piece of Eden in mission specific situations but only Unity offered up the chance to use one in the open world, albeit severely depowered from its original state.

Swailing
08-08-2018, 01:35 AM
I think if we'd seen Bayek's ultimate weapons and abilities this early, we'd probably be just as uncomfortable. I'm trying to keep that in mind.

But also... no, I'm not into this. I like being in danger, I like difficulty, I like having to think creatively about the environmental features ("This is far too difficult to go for a direct clash, but I could use that bolt-thrower... but to use the bolt-thrower, I'll have to concentrate on taking out *this* guy and *this* guy"). I hope it hasn't gone too far.

And it worries me that Evie's invisibility thing is in Odyssey. Remember how we (well, a lot of us, anyway) reacted when we saw the preview video of the invisibility skill? We said this was a bad idea, we hoped we'd be proved wrong, but sure enough it absolutely wrecked Syndicate. It was a terrible example of an unlock for the sake of an unlock; it had no benefit to fun, to gameplay, to strategy.

WendysBrioche
08-08-2018, 02:02 AM
There is a YouTuber called Black Hokage who is regularly invited to play Ubisoft games at events. He is also a long time Assassin's Creed fan.
During E3 and again quite recently he reiterated that if you're an AC fan you're either going to love or hate Odyssey because the combat has gone full out magic and he wants people to be prepared (1:18):

At first I thought that maybe he was mistaken but with the latest videos from Jor Raptor it's becoming more apparent that BlackHokage is 100% right:

How does everybody feel about this? Personally, I think it looks great and I can't wait to customise my gears and skills. Of course, it's hardly Assassin's Creed but then Ubisoft became less interested in making an AC game a long time ago...
Can't wait for October 5th!

I haven't seen everything but I'm glad someone did this thread cause there is a specific ability I want to comment on.

My thoughts are both positive and negative on the Artemis Arrows I believe they're called. Not really negative, mostly positive. lol

At first I think, arrows that shoot through walls? A bit far fetched.

But they're ghost arrows, and perhaps there is some connection to Isu stuff going on there.

It reminds me a bit of Evie's invisibility ability in Syndicate, which I though was too much personally.

But this time, it's more cleverly written into the lore, and having to do with Greek mythology so this time around I think with abilities like this working a lot smoother into the narrative, I definitely approve of these kinds of crazy abilities if they're written properly into the story like they're doing here, so I actually think it's really cool.

I'm only sad cause I still haven't beaten Origins and once again I don't have time cause I'm nefariously job hunting desperately. Once I get some work again I'll quick do my solid but time efficient playthrough of Origins which is fine for me to do at this point since I've already wasted some 60 hours doing nothing and only up to 20 something percent sync or something or other.

Dude I still haven't figured out what the Giant Cobra thing was all about. Urghh. Wasting my time on game mods for Skyrim and making ReShade presets just adoring game graphics has ruined my ability to actually play games. I just gawk at the pretty colors these days. Which I LOVE DON'T GET RID OF THEM!!!!!!!!

One of the biggest things that attracts me to video games is the fantastic fantasized artwork and exaggerated fictionalized beauty in games, I grew up loving things like nature documentaries and Transformers figures and Dinosaurs, Bugs, Ocean Wildlife, all nature etc and later in my youth things like beautiful landscapes and scenery, cause I loved how cool some of those things and how awesome all of them looked to me as a child, so it's natural for me to just gawk at the insane environments that are now graphically possible in games these days and from this point forward. Guess I'm born in the right century lol.

But I got another AC creepin up on me now. I was almost certain I had 2 years till the next release which is why I was so lax about taking my sweet ol' time with Origins. And sheyaat I got Red Dead Redemption II around the corner. I'm so screwed. But I got my priorities. Job first. Then I got to quick get a certificate to get a real job to support myself in full then finally I can breathe!!!!!!!!

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the Spartan kick but his videos make it clear that such physics are possible due to skill upgrades/more mystical elements being introduced so again, context is everything. Whether people are down for that context in the first instance though is a different matter. The Ring of Chaos upgrade path is suspiciously reminiscent of the Aard sign upgrades from Witcher 3...

The idea of playing with a Piece of Eden through the entirety of the game and upgrading and customising via the skills menu is something I'm surprised the devs didn't implement a long time ago. In the past you get to use a Piece of Eden in mission specific situations but only Unity offered up the chance to use one in the open world, albeit severely depowered from its original state.

You're right in that some of the physical abilities seem a bit overpowered. For me it's always justified that the Assassin's characters have greater physical prowess from the moment I saw them leap from 300 foot towers into haystacks and survive. But if they're adding Piece of Eden elements as narrative reasons for these things that's all the better for explaining them in my opinion.

I hope they don't take it too far though. I don't want to be Ironman or superman in future installments. Leave that to Anthem and similar titles. No need for EVERY series to have EVERY feature of every other game.

Diversity in games is good and keeps each IP separate for a different kind of fix a person may want at a given time for their entertainment. I'm in the mood for THIS kind of game. Oh let's do Ironman suit Anthem, okay now I want to play in Ancient/Medieval/Historical settings like Assassin's Creed etc. I don't want games to become too homogeneous in the future, diversity and different kinds of games are a good thing for the industry, I personally think.

Some things in AC should remain within a certain range of bounds, finding those limits is the trick. I think invisible Evie was too far, but Artemis Arrows? That works imo.

MnemonicSyntax
08-08-2018, 02:15 AM
I'm only sad cause I still haven't beaten Origins and once again I don't have time cause I'm nefariously job hunting desperately. Once I get some work again I'll quick do my solid but time efficient playthrough of Origins which is fine for me to do at this point since I've already wasted some 60 hours doing nothing and only up to 20 something percent sync or something or other.

Dude I still haven't figured out what the Giant Cobra thing was all about. Urghh. Wasting my time on game mods for Skyrim and making ReShade presets just adoring game graphics has ruined my ability to actually play games. I just gawk at the pretty colors these days. Which I LOVE DON'T GET RID OF THEM!!!!!!!!

Have you gotten that far? There's a side quest after that mission that explains it.

MnemonicSyntax
08-08-2018, 02:16 AM
I think if we'd seen Bayek's ultimate weapons and abilities this early, we'd probably be just as uncomfortable. I'm trying to keep that in mind.

But also... no, I'm not into this. I like being in danger, I like difficulty, I like having to think creatively about the environmental features ("This is far too difficult to go for a direct clash, but I could use that bolt-thrower... but to use the bolt-thrower, I'll have to concentrate on taking out *this* guy and *this* guy"). I hope it hasn't gone too far.

And it worries me that Evie's invisibility thing is in Odyssey. Remember how we (well, a lot of us, anyway) reacted when we saw the preview video of the invisibility skill? We said this was a bad idea, we hoped we'd be proved wrong, but sure enough it absolutely wrecked Syndicate. It was a terrible example of an unlock for the sake of an unlock; it had no benefit to fun, to gameplay, to strategy.

And it was completely optional. I didn't even unlock it. It was too overpowered to me.

Same with the guided arrows in Origins. No thanks.

Swailing
08-08-2018, 02:25 AM
@WendysBrioche

I hate to break it to you, but simply finishing Origins isn't enough. You HAVE to play Curse of the Pharaohs as well. I don't make the rules. Well, I did just make that rule, but it's also a necessity. Especially if you love beautiful environments, weirdness, and insects.

WendysBrioche
08-08-2018, 02:33 AM
@WendysBrioche

I hate to break it to you, but simply finishing Origins isn't enough. You HAVE to play Curse of the Pharaohs as well. I don't make the rules. Well, I did just make that rule, but it's also a necessity. Especially if you love beautiful environments, weirdness, and insects.

DAMMIT MAN DON'T TELL ME THESE THINGS!!!!!!!! :mad: :p ;) :cool:

quanzaizai
08-08-2018, 10:34 AM
is it only me want to use POE when we use it the first time in AC2 and 3 ? now we can have it and everyone complain ...

CrispyKitteh
08-08-2018, 12:59 PM
At least it's a broken piece of eden lol. If they gave you a completely working PoE you would just decimate everything with no challenge. And it's not like they're going to make the protagonist of every future Assassin's Creed game carry a PoE.

Swailing
08-08-2018, 08:23 PM
is it only me want to use POE when we use it the first time in AC2 and 3 ? now we can have it and everyone complain ...

We used two PoEs in Unity (one malfunctioning, granted!).

AnimusLover
08-08-2018, 10:37 PM
And it's not like they're going to make the protagonist of every future Assassin's Creed game carry a PoE.

Ha! Don't be so sure! :D

Kiroku
08-08-2018, 11:26 PM
It looks really clunky and it really depends if I will enjoy it.

Origins combat system was kinda boring because at some point it was either spamming the attack button or waiting for the special attack to one hit the enemy.

They said it would be more challenging than ever at origins but it was boring as hell. Souls games are challenging or bloodborne is too.. but not this. And the only reason many people liked w3 combat for example was simply because of the finishers.

And with Odyssey it will be like 90% the same beside the super attack moves from the skill tree and a better dodge animation.

I really hope all the mentors guild surverys are for the upcoming games which hopefully go back to the true assasins creed games with focus on stealth.

ModernWaffle
08-09-2018, 12:25 AM
It looks really clunky and it really depends if I will enjoy it.

Origins combat system was kinda boring because at some point it was either spamming the attack button or waiting for the special attack to one hit the enemy.

And with Odyssey it will be like 90% the same beside the super attack moves from the skill tree and a better dodge animation.

I really hope all the mentors guild surverys are for the upcoming games which hopefully go back to the true assasins creed games with focus on stealth.

Origin's combat made some promising changes IMO but I tend to agree, there was more an element of pressing the attack button as quickly as possible rather than being strategic with fighting. New power moves are okay but there's wasted potential in developing the combat into something more in Odyssey's lack of change. Unfortunately I feel Odyssey will be more for those who 'want more Origins' but I am reluctant to return to these same features after I already exhausted them in my 90 hour playthrough.

Olympus2018
08-09-2018, 07:33 AM
I love that and I'd probly turn it into more of an Action game using the Mythology.

This is not so much mythology, since the plot of the game is based on real historical events...

Kiroku
08-09-2018, 10:46 PM
Origin's combat made some promising changes IMO but I tend to agree, there was more an element of pressing the attack button as quickly as possible rather than being strategic with fighting. New power moves are okay but there's wasted potential in developing the combat into something more in Odyssey's lack of change. Unfortunately I feel Odyssey will be more for those who 'want more Origins' but I am reluctant to return to these same features after I already exhausted them in my 90 hour playthrough.

At the moment Im thinking exactly the same. I played Origins on PS4 until platinum trophy for hours. I even played both DLC's since I bought the gold edition.

The problem for me is not in general playing a game with the same engine and elements in it but playing a game with the same engine and elements which has the same boring combat system. Its such a huge part of the game that I cant simply ignore that. I dont want to invest hours of freetime to a game that makes me feel wasting all those hours which I would keep doing until the end jut because I bought the game lol. And this is the reason I didnt preordered it until now.

ModernWaffle
08-09-2018, 11:19 PM
I dont want to invest hours of freetime to a game that makes me feel wasting all those hours which I would keep doing until the end jut because I bought the game lol. And this is the reason I didnt preordered it until now.

I felt this with Origins. Part way through I was just clearing map activities and lost that initial spark of interest I had when I started. It really sucks when you suddenly realise you feel fatigued towards what the end-game offers - it didn't help that the story lost me completely only half way through the game. If you're trying to make an open world game that encourages a playthrough of more than 50 hours minimum, it simply needs better longevity.

I think previously I was more willing to accept the filler quests etc. or what potential flaws the AC games had because the core gameplay was good enough to keep me going. Unfortunately with Origins and Odyssey, social stealth and parkour are given a backseat and combat, though fun, is not substantial enough to keep me from coming back on its own.

AnimusLover
08-10-2018, 03:15 AM
He covers the recruitment system in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-ZC6zRerg

distrust74
08-10-2018, 06:29 AM
I watched most, if not all, of his videos ... so far I am happy with everything except the voice-acting.
Bit of a pity, the dialog choices are supposed to add immersion, but that won`t really work if the voice acting throws you off.

As for combat, I am quite optimistic. It looks a bit more dynamic than on Origins and better animated. Tbh. I think losing the shields was a good choice for gameplay (imo it also fits the mercenary style).
The active skills might make it feel more personal, more customized. Having more stuff to loot is also nice, it doesn`t make combat better or worse, but probably more rewarding.

Swailing
08-10-2018, 12:05 PM
He covers the recruitment system in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mC-ZC6zRerg

Wait... I can recruit people by kicking them off a cliff with a Spartan Kick? Do I boot them right into my ship or what?

Olympus2018
08-10-2018, 12:28 PM
Wait... I can recruit people by kicking them off a cliff with a Spartan Kick? Do I boot them right into my ship or what?

You can only recruit them if they survive the fall/attack/whatever you do to them...

Swailing
08-10-2018, 12:40 PM
You can only recruit them if they survive the fall/attack/whatever you do to them...

https://i.imgur.com/MRSfb90.jpg

ModernWaffle
08-10-2018, 01:45 PM
https://i.imgur.com/MRSfb90.jpg

Sound logic ;)

cawatrooper9
08-10-2018, 02:09 PM
They key is to kick them far enough from the cliff that they miss the rocks, but not so far that they actually land on deck. ;)

MnemonicSyntax
08-10-2018, 05:21 PM
Not sure how I feel about recruiting soldiers from camps. I wonder if we can do it from ships we board like in Black Flag/Rogue.

RecycleUrArrows
08-11-2018, 02:16 AM
The recruiting thing is different. I like the idea, but I hope they give you enough space to hoard all of the people you collect XD I don't wanna go out of my way to recruit someone in a camp just to have to toss him out later. In the video it seemed to suggest we would have space, but I hope there's a lot of it

SerraShaar
08-12-2018, 05:02 AM
nope . Don't follow YT peoples..

homewhever , I did watch every piece of Vid that showed up :D I'm SO Hyped for this game !

On the combat , the last time I saw glowy weapons like that was when NWN2 came out lol and it's too bad they toned it down . I'm like who doesn't like BLINKIE WEAPONS?!

So yeah , the combat look awesome . And I know , gonna make many mad , but I personally do not care for shield (and helmet) in any games . I like to play a dual wielder warrior better .

Anyone know if you can hide helmet or...cose I saw some video with dialogues and alexius and Kassandra both don't have helmet on during those . So do they dissapear during a dialogue ? can you toggle them on and off ?

TeaBagHitter
08-13-2018, 09:55 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw81-YEw4xI

Check this out! Talks about several things including how to upgrade your spear!

Moreover it was mentioned that not all mounts are horses! Maybe they mean a war chariot or something but I hope they mean something else, though what else could it be?

Olympus2018
08-13-2018, 10:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yw81-YEw4xI

Check this out! Talks about several things including how to upgrade your spear!

Moreover it was mentioned that not all mounts are horses! Maybe they mean a war chariot or something but I hope they mean something else, though what else could it be?

Flying horses like Pegasus?
War elephants from India?
Centaurs like Chiron?
Minotaurs?
Whatever it is, just bring it on!

cawatrooper9
08-13-2018, 10:16 PM

Maybe Alexios or Kassandra will ride a centaur? :p