PDA

View Full Version : Is there any real use for the new Shield Tackle for Valk?

Kamen42
08-05-2018, 08:31 AM
Shield tackle lost a lot of its strengths. I suppose there is no discussion there, but can anyone tell me if there is a situation where it is a good move? Because so far I can't really find any.

You can't really use it offesively. It is just too easy to dodge it now and with the full block lost, you can be easily knocked out of it before the move lands. And it even lost it's soft feint into Pouncing Thrust? WHY? (And why was this not part of patch notes?) The only way this can be used offesively now is when you start the run up, feint it, hope the enemy sees the startup and tries to dodge, pouncing thrust.

And defensively you can't really use it either. A lot of moves can hit you during the back dodge and even if you back dodge an attack into the shield tackle, the opponent usually has enough time to dodge away and GB you.

So far the only use I found is against Orochi's Storm Rush and even then it makes me hope they don't feint into GB.

If anyone has any tips, please let me know.

Siegfried-Z
08-05-2018, 11:53 AM
Honnestly this moove is dead right now.
Some says you can use it to escape few 50/50 as a kind of hiden stance but anyway this is not to use as before at all :/

But devs already said they want to continu To improve Valk and gonna have a spécial look at shield tackle and at the fact sweep take down allies too.

They gonna change it maybe it depends of the feedbacks.

In my opinion Shield tackle should came back and sweep shouldnt sweep allies that's awful.

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2018, 12:06 PM
A user here, Knight-Raime, posted a video from Reddit showing that the shield tackle is very effective at evading mixups where the only general optionn is to roll away and punish them, a whole range of mixups are shown here

https://streamable.com/rh5h0

Siegfried-Z
08-05-2018, 12:09 PM
Yes but this was already possible before.

But now most of the cases while you escape a mix up you cant really often let it fly.

The moove is ruined.
While her set is a bit better now.

CandleInTheDark
08-05-2018, 02:07 PM
I think her set is better all in all, people are caught up on shield crush and on spearsweep affecting all (which realistically, it should, and Valk is one of my characters) but her kit is in a better place now.

Here is the thing and it affects all the reworks in a way, people have long complained that bottom tier characters need a rework or they are one trick ponies and then they complain when they are no longer one trick ponies but they have to branch out past that one trick, it has happened with all the lower tier characters that were drastically changed (and now occupy the top five spots). Yes the spear sweep is a little more dangerous but Valk now has good chain options and I wind up throwing in more (now quicker) chain finishers than I did before the rework, especially in group fights where the opponent has a centurion, but when I do get an opponent by themselves and confirm the heavy damage (now buffed and not giving a free guardbreak as it used to) heavy confirmed damage is beastly.

I can't speak for everyone obviously but my last two dominion games with Valk at my level, bearing in mind I don't go for big xv1 fights, were 9-1 and 7-5 KD and a few of those kills were 1v2 where you don't want to be doing a 600ms sweep in any case but a quicker set of lights will do you well in.

Baggin_
08-05-2018, 02:27 PM
I don't really play Valk so I can't speak on this, but they need to fix the sweep when it comes to Rocksteady. It's the only move in the game that knocks you down and you don't stand up right away.

OhHowSheGoingEh
08-05-2018, 03:49 PM
I don't really play Valk so I can't speak on this, but they need to fix the sweep when it comes to Rocksteady. It's the only move in the game that knocks you down and you don't stand up right away.

Seriously? Rocksteady need to be nerfed. Rocksteady is hands down top 5 feats in the game. It makes you immune to wallspalts, immune to oos parries, immune to revenge auto parries, immune to centurions heavy jab punish.
All of those benefits for a level 2 feat that's doesn't even need to be activates cause it's a passive feat.

Baggin_
08-05-2018, 04:40 PM
Seriously? Rocksteady need to be nerfed. Rocksteady is hands down top 5 feats in the game. It makes you immune to wallspalts, immune to oos parries, immune to revenge auto parries, immune to centurions heavy jab punish.
All of those benefits for a level 2 feat that's doesn't even need to be activates cause it's a passive feat.
It does make you immune to all of it. Which is why it makes no sense to have the sweep negate it.

Rocksteady is good, but only if you play into it's strength. So if you're facing a Shugoki or an Aramusha you just have to change your tactics up (Don't throw a top heavy if you parry an oos shugo or ara, or wall splat ect). So if you're facing one of them just assume it's equipped and adjust accordingly and it's not that bad.

Kamen42
08-06-2018, 07:54 AM
A user here, Knight-Raime, posted a video from Reddit showing that the shield tackle is very effective at evading mixups where the only general optionn is to roll away and punish them, a whole range of mixups are shown here

https://streamable.com/rh5h0

Thank you. This was actually very helpful. I see a lot of moves I have trouble countering.