PDA

View Full Version : Why Reworking all of the Heroes won't Matter in the Long-Run

Archo-Vax
08-03-2018, 11:47 PM
If Ubisoft ever wants to make For Honor a household name and/or an E-Sport like Overwatch, they're going to have to realize that the console and PC versions of the game need to be balanced differently. The difference in framerate is literally too big to be ignored. No amount of reworks or buffs to certain characters is going to make the game any more fair or viable for professional play.

Take Orochi as an example. His rework made him a nuisance to deal with on console, but made him a joke on PC. Shaman is a devil to fight on console, while on PC she's "decent". The framerate on console creates a situation where one cannot even see the full animation of Shaman's Light Attacks, while on PC, there's plenty of time to react to it.

On console, "Mix-Ups" are... kind of pointless. The people who constantly incorporate Mix-Ups do so on "autopilot" and with no thought put into it, because they're fully aware that it's a fifty-fifty and that they don't have to really try. They just do the same "Mix-Up" over and over and over again, and they know they can get away with it, because the damnable framerate removes any ability to properly react or counter it. On PC, Mix-Ups have to be done with a certain amount of thought and/or strategy involved, because on PC you actually have to trick people. On console, it's tantamount to throwing a blanket at someone's face and then sucker-punching them while they're distracted.

As a Shugoki main (on console), myself, I am at a point where I've chosen to not take anything about the game, or my performance in it, seriously. Because, in the back of my mind, I know that Ubisoft didn't take into account the differences between the console nd PC versions when balancing it.

ChampionRuby50g
08-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Incoming “frame rate difference is minimal and it’s your fault you aren’t paying 500+ bucks for a gaming monitor for your console, wiring your controller and using a cable for your internet, get good scrub” comments

dinosaurlicker
08-03-2018, 11:54 PM
Lol and shugoki got nerfed to **** despite already being bottom tier. The devs are doing all the wrong things so nothing matters anyways

Knight_Raime
08-04-2018, 12:42 AM
We've been down this road before. Don't quite feel like repeating myself again.
Reworks has nothing to do with e sports. You also sort of shoot yourself in the foot there because afaik while OW wanted to balance the two platforms differently they really never did. and OW is still a competitive game on both platforms. You're never going to see a game played on console tournament wise over pc if pc is an option even if both are balanced different.

Reworking the heros imo has been largely a success. There are issues with nearly every rework. But all of them sans Bushi and maaaaaybe pk are better off overall once they got touched. Also pc has nothing to do with why orochi "sucks" at high level. it's the instant guard switch bug on static guard heros that's hurting him. you can't react to delayed 400ms lights regardless of how good your reaction skills are or how many frames you have. If there were anyway that didn't involve a bug that let people do so pro players would have a different tune when talking about those specific lights. Which they don't.

Archo-Vax
08-04-2018, 01:47 AM
We've been down this road before. Don't quite feel like repeating myself again.
Reworks has nothing to do with e sports. You also sort of shoot yourself in the foot there because afaik while OW wanted to balance the two platforms differently they really never did. and OW is still a competitive game on both platforms. You're never going to see a game played on console tournament wise over pc if pc is an option even if both are balanced different.

Reworking the heros imo has been largely a success. There are issues with nearly every rework. But all of them sans Bushi and maaaaaybe pk are better off overall once they got touched. Also pc has nothing to do with why orochi "sucks" at high level. it's the instant guard switch bug on static guard heros that's hurting him. you can't react to delayed 400ms lights regardless of how good your reaction skills are or how many frames you have. If there were anyway that didn't involve a bug that let people do so pro players would have a different tune when talking about those specific lights. Which they don't.

I don't think we've "been over" anything.

Knight_Raime
08-04-2018, 02:07 AM
I don't think we've "been over" anything.

You positive? I could have swarn we touched on the console vs pc stuff waaaaaay back when you wrote a long post about what was getting you annoyed with the game.
Well, to be safe i'll just admit I don't want to get into the console/pc thing again. It's something i've talked about at length on the forum here. At the very least all i'm going to say is I don't think it's something people actually want. They already take forever and a day to update heros/make balance changes. Asking them to do it differently based on platform is double the work load for them which would make patches take even longer. And there is plenty of people who already think they're bad at balancing things even for top tier pc players.
All I know is even on console when you're really good these issues that a lot of people seem to claim they have don't exist. So I can agree that maybe on pc the threshold before these "issues" stop being a thing might be lower. But the fact that even meh people like me don't have these issues on console shows that it's not entirely the consoles fault that these "issues" exist.

HazelrahFirefly
08-04-2018, 02:22 AM
While I totally agree with you Archo, that they should be balanced separately, it wont effect the chances of becoming mainstream or e-sports in any way.

Only for one reason: any true competition will be on PC, so who cares how consoles are balanced. Ubi already doesnt.