PDA

View Full Version : Advice on dodging Nobushi kick

ChampionRuby50g
07-27-2018, 12:18 PM
So recently Iíve been having a lot of trouble dodging the Nobushi kick after they land an attack on me. I get hit by a light and know a kick is coming, so I dodge as soon as Iím able to but it still hits me before my hero even moves. I used to be able to dodge it reliably, but recently I just canít. Is my timing off? Has my reflexes gone to hell? Or is there something Iím just doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

PepsiBeastin
07-27-2018, 12:19 PM
spam dodge

Arekonator
07-27-2018, 12:21 PM
So recently I’ve been having a lot of trouble dodging the Nobushi kick after they land an attack on me. I get hit by a light and know a kick is coming, so I dodge as soon as I’m able to but it still hits me before my hero even moves. I used to be able to dodge it reliably, but recently I just can’t. Is my timing off? Has my reflexes gone to hell? Or is there something I’m just doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

Could be that if you play stable guard character and queue guard change as the light hits you, it delays your dodge and makes the kick guaranteed, in same way as guard change during cent parry counter guarantees him jab followup.
Its just a guess tho.

SpaceJim12
07-27-2018, 12:52 PM
So recently I’ve been having a lot of trouble dodging the Nobushi kick after they land an attack on me. I get hit by a light and know a kick is coming, so I dodge as soon as I’m able to but it still hits me before my hero even moves. I used to be able to dodge it reliably, but recently I just can’t. Is my timing off? Has my reflexes gone to hell? Or is there something I’m just doing wrong. Any advice would be appreciated.

I trained this with my friend couple weeks ago. He started with HL, and I keep play on Nobu. I try to avoid his kick using hidden stance, and he try to understand the timings for dodging my kick.
Here what we found. If I start press GB button during the attack, kick happend little bit slower, and my friend made dodge right after the attack lands, and dodged my kick easily. If I pressed GB button right after attack, kick go faster, and my friend can't dodge it by pressing keys for dodge right after attack.
So, from what we know now, you should dodge right after attack, in small window (if you haven't fast dodge attack). In most cases (Nobu spam GB after every light) you will dodge the kick.
But the problem here is in real game with potential lags and high latency some timing could be different. From what I see now, only 15-20 none assassins characters could dodge the kick after attack.

DefiledDragon
07-27-2018, 12:54 PM
When I find myself unable to dodge or time parries properly it's almost always down to the combination of mine and my opponents ping. Next time you're suffering from this, check the scoreboard and see what your pings are like. To test the theory, go to the training arena and set up against Nobushi and set the AI to throw the chain you're struggling with and see if you can cope with it. If you can cope offline but not against humans, it's probably lag.

ChampionRuby50g
07-27-2018, 01:12 PM
I think what Arekonator said is what was causing my issues. Read that, and I was able to dodge them again a lot easier, not to say i suddenly dodged them all, but it was more consistent for sure. Thanks for that mate.

Personally Iím not a fan of the training arena due to 4v4 been a complete different setting. In the arena I can dodge, parry everything thrown at me after some practice, but when 7 other players net comes into play online, it all goes right out the window.

Assassins arenít my mains so I donít have access to dodge attacks in that sense, Warden is atm and you can dodge into SB but at the time I made this post even doing that wasnít working for me.

Thanks to everyone who shared the advice, Iím gonna use it all when I get the time and see how I progress.

BTTrinity
07-27-2018, 02:58 PM
Remember that, when nobushi throws a heavy out of hidden stance... If u dont parry it, (So if you block it, or it hits you) then the kick is guaranteed.

Maxime_Qc-
07-27-2018, 03:59 PM
I played almost only assassin since the very beginning... all the assassin.. and occasionally some others class...

But recently (in the space of 2 month i bring nobu rep 5 ,cent rep 5 ,raider rep 5)

And i realise the difficulty of dodging with these character...

I just CAN'T get use to it..

The ****ing delay... on a dodge... wtf lol...

Like as a centurion i get hit by 85% of conq shield bash...

As an assassin i just laught at it lolll.. dodging 100 of it then parry next light... easy!...

Knight_Raime
07-27-2018, 05:38 PM
When they "reworked" her they made kick after light faster. So the timing slightly changed. Beyond that you're probably switching guard mid hit. Which is forcing you to finish the switch causing guaranteed landing. This is also why centurion can get a jab after parry counter+heavy sometimes.

ChampionRuby50g
07-27-2018, 10:39 PM
My next question is: is switching guard which causes me to get hit all the time a proper mechanic, or is it a bug? I know now that itís something Iím gonna have to work on, try to not change my guard once im hit, but has this always been a mechanic since day 1?

Knight_Raime
07-27-2018, 11:40 PM
My next question is: is switching guard which causes me to get hit all the time a proper mechanic, or is it a bug? I know now that it’s something I’m gonna have to work on, try to not change my guard once im hit, but has this always been a mechanic since day 1?

yup. There has always been a 100ms guard switch delay. This mainly only happens though if you choose to input a guard switch after you've already been hit. It can happen if your timing was off on the initial switch. But that really only happens if your timing was waaaay off.

Static guard switch heros also have an extra mechanic called "guard switch recovery" which is a forced 200ms window of time everytime you switch your guard. This recovery prevents standard guard heros from attacking, Gb/cgb, and dodging instantly after a switch. Assassins do not have this. So they can dodge after being hit to avoid follow ups.

Easiest way to look at it is the 100ms delay prevents everyone from doing anything instantly. and recovery prevents standard guard heros from being totally safe at all times due to their guard always being up. Though I personally think recovery should go away for standard guard heros. At least the part about not letting them dodge. I think not letting them cgb/attack instantly after a switch is a fair trade off for having passive guard.

Quick edit: Realized my initial line might be a bit confusing. The issue of static guard heros being hit by a follow up that normally isn't guaranteed is mainly caused by trying to switch stances when you've failed to switch in time to block something and then try to switch again after you've already been hit. This happens with reflex heros too. But they just have the option to attempt an escape because they can dodge after being hit. Static guard heros can't if they were in the process of switching due to guard recovery.

ChampionRuby50g
07-28-2018, 12:28 AM
Thanks a heap for the detailed reply Raime, you helped clear up that in my mind no problem. Sometimes I have a bit of trouble figuring out and understanding mechanics such as this, but you did a great job at explaining it.

Knight_Raime
07-28-2018, 02:08 AM
Thanks a heap for the detailed reply Raime, you helped clear up that in my mind no problem. Sometimes I have a bit of trouble figuring out and understanding mechanics such as this, but you did a great job at explaining it.

I only know this kind of stuff because I'm obsessed with the game and regularly follow the competitive crowd. I do my best to bridge the gap between there and here. I've actually been approached more than once from people on the comp forum to bring to light stuff here so the mods pick it up and forward it to the team.

I'm just glad I can be helpful on occasion still.