PDA

View Full Version : User campaign - BoB - question/help!

arjisme
11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I have been flying the Battle over Britain campaign (by Extreme_one & Poymando) and have gotten to mission 18, which is a return flight from a channel island back to England. It is stormy weather. My problem is I cannot take off because I cannot hold the Hurricane straight on the takeoff roll. Even before I turn on the engine, the plane starts yawing counterclockwise. I've tried at mission start to immediately apply full brakes and full right rudder. I turn on the engine and apply throttle quickly, but smoothly but cannot counteract the nose going left and rolling off the runway.

I've done plenty of takeoffs to this point and have had no problems. Is this just an enormous crosswind I cannot counter? Any ideas what I can do to get the plane in the air?

TIA!

arjisme
11-25-2005, 04:47 PM
I have been flying the Battle over Britain campaign (by Extreme_one & Poymando) and have gotten to mission 18, which is a return flight from a channel island back to England. It is stormy weather. My problem is I cannot take off because I cannot hold the Hurricane straight on the takeoff roll. Even before I turn on the engine, the plane starts yawing counterclockwise. I've tried at mission start to immediately apply full brakes and full right rudder. I turn on the engine and apply throttle quickly, but smoothly but cannot counteract the nose going left and rolling off the runway.

I've done plenty of takeoffs to this point and have had no problems. Is this just an enormous crosswind I cannot counter? Any ideas what I can do to get the plane in the air?

TIA!

Kuna15
11-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Perhaps you should apply full power and take off asap.
In the time when this campaign was created FM was different and it was possible to take off in that weather with no major problems unlike now so that should be taken into consideration.

If fuel isn't a priority (large flight route) you can consider taking less fuel if possible. If nothing works hit autopilot button whhen mission loads.

FlatSpinMan
11-25-2005, 05:03 PM
Have you tried applying throttle slowly so that your swinging is less erratic? I notice that tend to pull off to the right initially before I know it is a complete sod to take off in that kind of weather though.If I throttle up slowly I can ride out the swerving easier without overadjusting. Applying brakes in short bursts can help move your plane on the ground. Braking is probably not what you want when you take offf but it may keep you straight. Pushing the stick forward and to the opposite side from which you are moving also seems to help straighten planes out.

arjisme
11-25-2005, 05:57 PM
I appreciate the replies. I've actually tried both suggestions. Tried applying full throttle quickly to get rolling fast, but could not maintain direction. I've tried slowly applying throttle, which does work better, but as I apply more and more throttle, the plane goes left and I cannot stop it. It's really not an erratic swing, btw. The strange bit is, with no power at all, the plane gets blown to the left. Even with full brakes applied.

I think it is probably true that the new FM contributes to this, but I still thought there ought to be a way to get airborne. It sounds like the autopilot may be the best idea. Thanks.

hamselv2
11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
Do you lock your tailwheel during takeoff ?

_VR_ScorpionWorm
11-25-2005, 08:40 PM
I'm going to add that its the weather that affects the FM before takeoff, I was in a squadron coop with a bunch of squadmates in very bad weather, ever single one of our Stukas turned 90 degrees and there was 'no' way to correct it. Only way was to change the weather factor.

So in short, there is no way around this in game unless you change the weather via FMB.

arjisme
11-25-2005, 11:00 PM
Yep, you described it correctly. Something is not right when the weather can blow a stationary aircraft like that, even when brakes are locked.

I got through the mission though by letting the AI take off for me. As soon as the mission started, I hit autopilot. The plane was perfectly stable and took off no problem. Interesting how the AI was not affected by this.

plumps_
11-26-2005, 12:08 AM
It's actually possible to take off yourself, even in a thunderstorm. I just played the mission.

As soon as the mission has loaded lock the tail wheel. Now the plane won't move until you start the engine. While you're doing this, hit the brakes and apply full rudder. Open the throttle immediately, so that the propeller blows enough air over the rudder to make it effective. Release the brakes when the aircraft points into the right direction.