PDA

View Full Version : Where to hit a 24k ton passenger liner?

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
They have no ammo stores I think.
Where is the fuel tank?
I have not FredmodVulnabilityAddon, not shure if I´m going to install it.
I have never seen the weak spots of the ships in the reconition manual, despite within 1000m range and within 15 degrees gyro-angle. How to see this info?

I don´t think they´re "worth" more than 4 torps. I did´nt manage to sink it with 4.
I met one of these outside Firth of Clyde in 1940. Maybe its route was between Alexandria to Liverpool? It was a British not an neutral US that´s more common in convoys.

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 10:54 AM
They have no ammo stores I think.
Where is the fuel tank?
I have not FredmodVulnabilityAddon, not shure if I´m going to install it.
I have never seen the weak spots of the ships in the reconition manual, despite within 1000m range and within 15 degrees gyro-angle. How to see this info?

I don´t think they´re "worth" more than 4 torps. I did´nt manage to sink it with 4.
I met one of these outside Firth of Clyde in 1940. Maybe its route was between Alexandria to Liverpool? It was a British not an neutral US that´s more common in convoys.

ltforce
05-01-2005, 11:16 AM
u wanna kill innocent ppl??

Maj_Solo
05-01-2005, 11:19 AM
I encountered one as part of a convoy at the same spot as you, soo, must be used to ship troops then, blast it! Weakspot? don't know ....

Sidmo
05-01-2005, 11:31 AM
Do what I did. Bang it up with a couple of Torps, then ram the sucker. Killing half your crew and having to float back to base. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 11:31 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ltforce:
u wanna kill innocent ppl?? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
But it gives you renown, the big deal in this game.
Related issue:
Are the US "neutral" C2 or C3 so innocent when it´s transporting the Brits Hurricanes or ammo/oil from USA to GB! I don´t think so. It doesn´t seem like neutral to do that kind of things.

Athlonics
05-01-2005, 12:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CaptainBeefhead:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ltforce:
But it gives you renown, the big deal in this game.
Related issue:
Are the US "neutral" C2 or C3 so innocent when it´s transporting the Brits Hurricanes or ammo/oil from USA to GB! I don´t think so. It doesn´t seem like neutral to do that kind of things. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, by the way, since you're at it,

Hit the kitchen and then the engine room, so they'll starve and die slowly.
Follow them, you never know, maybe they'll eat each other to survive.
Or you can always throw out some of your food to see silly passengers diving at high sea.

Well after that, I hope you would have satisfied the devil sleeping inside you.

http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif

admiral_sem
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
In wartime passengerliners were often used as troop transport. So no innocent kills there.

V-MAN1981
05-01-2005, 12:06 PM
^^^

Yanks and Brits were quick to whine and complain about the Lusitanina but the ship was still loaded up with ammo and shells bound for the western front.

quillan
05-01-2005, 12:57 PM
Use torpedoes set for magnetic detonation. Fire one under the center of the aft funnel. Place a second a bit farther astern from there. If both hit, it should go down without problems. That's how I sank the only enemy liner I've encountered so far, and it went down in less than two minutes.

S VIIC_41
05-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Eh? Is this marked as an enemy?

Because I thought sinking neutral ships gave you a renown hit.

In related news, in what was probably my crappest and most boring patrol ever a few days ago, I was ordered to patrol around the Canaries.

All I sank was like... 2 coastal merchants or smalls I'm not sure.

But I DID see my first (and neutral) American ship... but even when I went along the shipping lanes and towards Gibraltar I saw **** all in the way of convoys and big ships.

I almost ran out of fuel.

Aragorn87
05-01-2005, 01:50 PM
Yeah i sank a liner. Dont let the tonnage fool you, its not armored and 2 magnetic should do the trick. They are very fast though. I got one hit in the rear which brought the sucker to a hault and then the second eel finished her

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 02:02 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by S VIIC_41:
Eh? Is this marked as an enemy?

Because I thought sinking neutral ships gave you a renown hit.

In related news, in what was probably my crappest and most boring patrol ever a few days ago, I was ordered to patrol around the Canaries.

All I sank was like... 2 coastal merchants or smalls I'm not sure.

But I DID see my first (and neutral) American ship... but even when I went along the shipping lanes and towards Gibraltar I saw **** all in the way of convoys and big ships.

I almost ran out of fuel. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At least the passenger liner I met sailed with the "Red" British flag (don´t know what´s it called) so its definition would have been an enemy ship.

Sinking neutral ships gives a negative effect at renown. Better don´t do this.

SteveConnors
05-01-2005, 03:55 PM
The "red british flag" is the Canadian flag from that era, we did not change to the maple leaf unitl 1969

alanschu
05-01-2005, 04:15 PM
The "Red British Flag" is also the flag for british shipping.

The white one with red in the corner is for the Royal Navy.

Canadians and Brits use the same flag in this game.

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 04:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveConnors:
The "red british flag" is the Canadian flag from that era, we did not change to the maple leaf unitl 1969 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_confused.gif I dont think so. The Canadian flag has an additional shield on it. I didn´t see that. The shield IS modelled on the Canadian flag in this game. The British use it w/o the shield.

Maj_Death
05-01-2005, 04:37 PM
I just sink them with 4 torpedoes, they go down every time that way. Or chew on them with the deck gun all day, that works too.

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 04:50 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by CaptainBeefhead:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ltforce:
These ships are armed from 1942.
Some ppl must man the guns. Innocent?

alanschu
05-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Would "everyone" man the guns?

They have guns because people like you try to kill them.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-01-2005, 05:00 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by alanschu:
These ships are armed from 1942.
Some ppl must man the guns. Innocent? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Would "everyone" man the guns?

They have guns because people like you try to kill them. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
And that's the way how wars are started. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 05:40 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SteveConnors:
The "red british flag" is the Canadian flag from that era, we did not change to the maple leaf unitl 1969 </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I think Canadian passanger liners are´nt included in this game. Looked at the museum.
I just did see a funny thing when I was in the museum: A passenger liner and a liberty cargo merged to each other, and the liberty cargo did sink in the museum! I got some screens from it but I have not been able to make it work in photobucket. the pictures gets 90 % plain black
only the bottom line of the pictures is visible. I have tried to resize and rename to gif, jpg but with no success.

Lovo_Kasistan
05-01-2005, 05:52 PM
I have tried to resize and rename to gif, jpg but with no success. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hope by renaming you meant converting because simply renaming a file won't change the filetype.

There's also imageshack.us or freefilehosting.net. Just upload it as jpg there.

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 05:57 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">converting </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I think I did convert the files in ability photo paint by save as... and to a new type of file like jpg to make the file smaller than a bmp.

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 06:22 PM
http://img203.echo.cx/img203/8144/ssh3img25200513135008lg.jpg
http://img203.echo.cx/img203/6609/ssh3img25200514265629kz.jpg http://img203.echo.cx/img203/673/ssh3img25200514432964wn.jpg

Lovo_Kasistan
05-01-2005, 06:26 PM
Hilarious, I hope they absolutely don't fix that bug. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

CaptainBeefhead
05-01-2005, 06:47 PM
I think it´s a landing ship not a liberty cargo as I mentioned at first.

Aragorn87
05-01-2005, 08:57 PM
How did you get that to happen in museum?

WereSnowleopard
05-01-2005, 09:23 PM
It will give you -20,000 renown for sunk this liner.

lwaun
05-01-2005, 11:21 PM

No we changed to the Maple leaf flag in 1965 and the old red flag you mention with the union jack in the corner is called the Red Ensign.

axeman3d
05-02-2005, 02:48 AM
Meanwhile, back on topic...

I have seen only one Liner in the game, part of a convoy I attacked a few days ago. I fired a salvo of 2 torps at it, of which I certainly saw 1 hit below the aft funnel, and the thing sank within a couple of minutes. Hard to say if my first torp hit it below the for'd funnel, I was firing 5 torps at 3 ships at the time, whilst trying to get out from under a C2 heading my way, so I may have missed the first hit.

jmurphy997
05-02-2005, 03:45 AM
I ran into a lone Brit Passenger Liner the other night. I targetted the fuel tanks and sent 3 fish her way. All three fish hit and the third one sent her to the bottom. Talk about some good tonnage on that patrol.

JebUSMC
05-03-2005, 12:10 PM
Enemy liners are worth 840 renown. More than many warships. Just make sure its not a neutral because you'll take a -840 renown hit.

Stuntcow
05-03-2005, 04:47 PM
Over 25 patrols, only saw one and it was neutral......and no, I did not sink it. But I did think about it.

cammando429
05-03-2005, 10:32 PM
To sink a passenger liner you need to set the gas powered torps to run under 26 meters with magnetic detenators I sunk one with one torp although I fired 3, 1 blew up under the stern and she slowy started to drag then she slid under, otherwise you will waste torpedoes trying to sink it with impact detenators so launch two bescause one might not sink her immediately.

twistedpretzel
05-03-2005, 10:34 PM
Encountered my first enemy liner, saw it and it was sailing 7kmh.

I made the mistake of approaching surfaced, thinknig since it was big it couldnt get away, my bad.

30 minutes later all i see is its smoke on the horizon after it sped away at an amazing 20kmh, then a destroyer decided to ram me after i put up a fight with my deck gun.

VF-17_Jolly
05-04-2005, 01:10 AM
http://flagspot.net/flags/gb-ensig.html
The Red Ensign
http://flagspot.net/images/g/gb~rens.gif