filwilliamson
07-23-2018, 12:52 PM
Swordmaster Hero Idea:

FACTION: Knight
NAME: Swordmaster
CLASS: Assassin
DESCRIPTION: Feint, Harasser

WEAPON: Arming Sword
APPEARANCE: Mostly leather and gambeson with a robe around the waist and legs. Plate armor on the knees and left shoulder; also wears a helmet.

ABILITIES:
Slipping Dodge: During a dodge you can dodge again (think Shinobi Double Dodge) to go through your opponent (Slipping Dodge). You must be close enough to the target to perform a Slipping Dodge. If you are not in range you will simply do a second dodge towards the target. After any Slipping Dodge you can do a top heavy. The heavy is not guaranteed. A Slipping Dodge can also be followed by a kick to push them forward. The kick is guaranteed and can wall splat. The kick will guarantee a neutral light attack from any direction.
Light Soft Feints: During startup all heavies can soft feint into a light attack in a certain direction (left -> top, top -> right, right -> left). Can be used to start chains and can be used during chains.
Heavy Soft Feints: Swordmaster can also soft feint heavies into other heavies. When he performs this the heavy will become unblockable. Like the Light Soft Feints they have a set direction, but the directions are different then the Light version (Left -> Right, Right -> Top, Top -> Left). The Unblockable heavy can be feinted, but not soft feinted.
Dodge Attacks: Has two dodge attacks. A light and a heavy version. The light is faster, but the heavy can be canceled into a Slipping Dodge. Both types can start chains.
Last Ditch: When out of stamina Swordmaster can do a top lunging stab to interrupt the enemy. This attack forces them back and does half a bar of damage. However it can only be done once per out of stamina and it drains a large amount of stamina. If he misses the attack he is knocked down. Last Ditch has Hyperarmor. (Key binding is the same as the zone attack)
Deflect Leg Sweep: After a deflect Swordmaster can perform a leg sweep that guarantees him a Heavy and Light attack.
Sprinting Attacks: He has two sprint attacks. He can do a left side Light attack or a Slipping Dodge.
Zone Attack: Swordmasterís Zone Attack is a one hit attack from the left. The Zone counts as a heavy when parried.

CHARACTERISTICS:
Light Attacks: Neutral Light Attacks are 500ms from all directions. Chain Light Attacks are 400ms. Neutral Light Attacks deal 17 damage and chain light attacks deal 16 damage.
Soft Feint Light Attacks: Soft Feint Light Attacks are 400ms and deal 16 damage.
Heavies: Heavy Attacks are 700ms from all directions. Chain Heavy Attacks are 600ms. Neutral Heavies deal 28 damage and Chain Heavies deal 25 damage.
Dodge Recovery: Forward dodges have a 400ms recovery, Side Dodges have a 600ms recovery, and the back dodge recovery is 800ms. Swordmaster can cancel his Side and Forward Dodges into a Slipping Dodge 300ms into the dodge.
Dodge Attacks: Light Dodge attacks are 500ms and Heavy Dodge attacks are 600ms. Light Dodge attacks deal 15 damage and Heavy Dodge Attacks deal 20 damage.
Guardbreaks: Guardbreaks are standard speed and guarantee a Heavy Attack from any direction.
Unblockable Heavies: Unblockable Heavies are 900ms from any direction. They deal 33 damage from any direction.
Last Ditch: Last Ditch is 600ms and deals 15 damage. It drains 30 stamina.
Light Sprint Attack: The Light Sprint Attack is 500ms and deals 18 damage.
Zone Attack: The Zone Attack is 500ms and deals 15 damage.
Stamina: Swordmaster has the standard 120 stamina.

CHAINS:
L, L
L, H
H, L
H, H

PLAY-STYLE: Swordmaster is meant to poke down his target. Using soft Feints and two hit combos he can whittle his target down. He can keep people guessing by swapping what he will do. The preset direction on his Soft Feints prevents people from abusing his fast Lights. He mainly uses his mobility for defense, for he has a low health pool. When he is out of stamina he can do a Last Ditch to escape being backed into a corner or just trapped.

Concerns about Design:
I believe that if this character were to ever be released people would probably say that he attacks to fast or is too safe with his Slipping Dodges and Last Ditch ability. That is why there are certain limitations to his abilities. All of his soft Feints come from a direction that is chosen based on the side that he did the original attack. If you can learn the pattern they are easier to counter. Some people would say this would lead to 50/50s, and while the ability is technically a 50/50 it probably wouldnít be like Raiderís for example. Unlike Raiderís 50/50 the starting attack (in Raiderís case his zone attack) is not unblockable. Therefore you can continue to block in the original direction and if necessary change to counter the other option. As for the Slipping dodge, it guarantees a light attack and nothing else. Most bash attack guarantee that much damage. Last Ditch is also a risky ability. If Swordmaster misses the attack he falls over and if he hits it he still loses a lot of progress on getting his stamina back. A player could try to bait out the Last Ditch (which is a strictly top attack) and then dodge it to get a free knockdown on them. Beyond that it can only be done once per out of stamina, so players will have to be conservative with it. Side note: He obviously cannot do a slipping dodge when out of stamina, so Last Ditch is his only major way to get out of a corner.

Key:
1. H = Heavy
2. L = Light
3. GB = Guard break
4. * = Must land
5. A = Dodge
6. -> <- /\ \/ = Dodge/Move Direction[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE]

KSI_TheMadKing
07-23-2018, 08:37 PM
No more assassins

jeffero77
07-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Seriously, TheMadKing is right when we need no more assassins. The spammy, super-quick, ridiculous nature of them on console is enough as is. I'd love to see some another true tank introduced. Call it a Man at Arms and give him an arming sword and a shield or something. That would be more interesting to me, some type of counter to the Viking Warlord.

The Conqueror does a decent job post-rework but still is pretty squishy for a supposed "heavy" character.

A rework of the LB to fit the current meta would also be welcomed long before a new Knight assassin.

filwilliamson
07-25-2018, 09:59 PM
To start I play on Console. I understand the pain of fighting assassins on Console. However I would like to point out how none of this hero's chains go beyond two hits. That severely limits his ability to spam. But beyond that I would like it if you would look beyond the fact that he is an assassin and judge the character for what he is, not what class he is. I posted another version of this character about half a year ago (this version is updated) and your response is very similar to what I received back then. Everybody saw the word assassin and just stopped there. So please actually read through and think beyond the fact that he is an assassin.

However if you really want a heavy Hero here is a link to another post I made:
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1911334-Knight-Heavy-Hero-Idea?p=13601906#post13601906