PDA

View Full Version : Kensei

Awlkara
07-21-2018, 11:41 PM
He has unblockable into grab, armored lights, chargable heavies, totally invincible side heavy. He has more tools than any hero I've encountered and easily one of my worst matchups.

In short, I'm struggling against this guy. Does anyone know how to fight him or any tips? He just has so many layers to counter play that I really can't fathom any way to beat him.
It's a free win any time I go against one because he has an answer to any sort of counter play that I try to use against him.

That armor is BS for such a small man I'd say though.

Vakris_One
07-22-2018, 12:34 AM
He has unblockable into grab, armored lights, chargable heavies, totally invincible side heavy. He has more tools than any hero I've encountered and easily one of my worst matchups.

In short, I'm struggling against this guy. Does anyone know how to fight him or any tips? He just has so many layers to counter play that I really can't fathom any way to beat him.
It's a free win any time I go against one because he has an answer to any sort of counter play that I try to use against him.

First off I have to address your misconceptions about him. He cannot charge his heavies. His side heavy is not invincible and he only gets hyper armour on his light and side heavy finishers.

Now that that's out of the way, how to fight him:
● Be patient and learn what he can do and when. Best way to learn what he can do is to play him in the training arena and figure out what he has to do in order to pull off the moves that are problematic for you.

● Every time he goes for the top heavy from neutral you can stuff him out of anything he attempts with a 500ms light attack on reaction.

● Don't be ultra aggressive against him unless you are playing a character with lots of hyper armour. Kensei thrives against super aggressive play so try to play more of a "shut him down" style. Always be ready to expect a side dodge heavy when you attack him. Learn to bait him into those for an easy parry. Swift strike is the slowest dodge attack in the game, the only part about them to get used to is that they come from the opposite direction of his dodge.

● Be patient when reacting to his soft feints and make sure to know when he has fully committed to a strike before deciding to parry it. This is most important for his top heavy unblockable finisher. The key thing about fighting a Kensei is don't react too early. By being patient and waiting for him to commit to an attack before you decide to parry it or block it you also give yourself enough time to counter GB any of his soft feinted GB attempts.

- The best way to learn the timings of when exactly he can no longer soft feint out of his unblockable finisher is to go to the training arena and set the bot to do the unblockable finisher soft feint on a loop. This will help you to recognise the timing of his cancels.

Hope that helps.

Knight_Raime
07-22-2018, 04:42 PM
^ Vakris is pretty much the Kensei dude on this forum. You should take his advice to heart.

pennywise83
07-23-2018, 12:59 AM
All the above, plus kensei stamina drains out pretty fast while feinting. Cancel a heavy to bait a parry. he will most likely try to parry or side sweep. if the kensei smell the bait, he will use headsplitter tho.
Just remember a good kensei will never hit with the first top heavy. if you see a first top heavy opener, will most likely be a pommel strike or side light feint.

voiddp
07-23-2018, 07:22 AM
Also helm spliter comes very fast and good start of two hits combo with top heavy unbreakable. So keep static guard on top in neutral, react on sides. Not advised trying to parry any of the top heavies it will be softfeinted in 90%.

SpaceJim12
07-23-2018, 02:34 PM

Fight with Kensei not that hard, that you discribed.=) I have problem with him too, when he just got his rework. Now the fight mostly depends on char you play for. Which character you play?
On PK, for example, I have really bad times against Kensei. On Lawbringer otherwise I feel myself very comfortable.
On average play a lot of Kensei play...little dirty. They wait your attack and than do dodge heavy. And they will countinue, if you not stop em. The easiest way to punish this move is to use hard feint. Do simple heavy, than cancel it, look at Kensei dodge heavy and than just parry him. Profit.
About his feints. While Kensei's attacks very slow, you have enough time to think.=) As Vakris said, be patient. Most Kensei softfeinted heavy into lights, so better block it. But if you clearly see how one of his attacks slowly overflow to another in softfeinting, this mean he made another heavy. Parry it.
And annoying opener, pommel strike. Most Kensei start this move from simple top heavy. So, if you see top heavy, just keep in mide that you probably will need to dodge quickly. Again, somethimes it depends on character. I leveling Nobushi now and really happy about potential of her Hidden Stance. In any incomprehensible situation use HS to avoid danger. Sometimes I think Nobu could survive nuclear blow with her Hidden Stance.

AkenoKobayashi
07-23-2018, 11:30 PM
He has unblockable into grab

Nope. Unless he's using his Unblockable feat. Kensei can't use Pommel Strike after the first heavy.

armored lights

Uninterruptable. Not armored. You can still kill him as he attacks.

chargable heavies

Wrong. Hit top heavies are just slow.

totally invincible side heavy

Again, uninterruptable. Not invincible.

Kensei relies on Swift Strike, so get used to parrying his attacks. His lights are fast, but you can block them.

pennywise83
08-01-2018, 05:26 PM
Kensei has the GB soft cancel from top finisher (unblockable) and Pommel Strike starts from first top heavy only.

AzureSky.
08-02-2018, 08:30 PM
Kensei is balanced and all the characters should be toned up into his level (with toning down on conqueror and zerker)

CRIMS0NM0NKEY
08-03-2018, 01:30 AM
Kensei is balanced and all the characters should be toned up into his level (with toning down on conqueror and zerker)
How can you say that Ken is balanced then on the other hand that all characters should be tonned up to his level? With the exception of kens unblockable feat I agree with you. You just have a funny way phrasing it.