PDA

View Full Version : Damage

AirbusA340-300
10-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Is it me or does it take to much ammo to take a plane out? ive seen some movies wher it only takes like a 3-5 second burst. maybe the movies are wrong. but in this game if im in a bf-109 and im up against another plane i seem to have to keep firing and firing and firing.
adam

AirbusA340-300
10-02-2004, 04:54 PM
Is it me or does it take to much ammo to take a plane out? ive seen some movies wher it only takes like a 3-5 second burst. maybe the movies are wrong. but in this game if im in a bf-109 and im up against another plane i seem to have to keep firing and firing and firing.
adam

Atomic_Marten
10-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Depends. Yesterday I was flying offline career mission (Bf109F2) and I get myself on the tail of LaGG-3. I decided to fire only with MG's. On my great surprise after one 2-3sec. burst LaGG fell into spin and crashed (from about 500m alt).

And usually it takes more then one burst to down that sturdy plane. It is all about where you hit him. IMO the most powerfull armament in the game is Mk108 and T9. With their projectiles it usualy takes 1-3 to down enemy plane.

And yes, I don't think that any fighter in IL-2 can endure 3-5sec. of accurate 12,7 x 6 MG's burst.

tHeBaLrOgRoCkS
10-02-2004, 05:03 PM
Depends a lot on what you flying and firing at it with also if your firing two soon (although you may be hitting) you could be outside the maximum effective range of your weapons. Try getting MUCH closer and you may find that you have more punch per pound. Definately do not take what you see in the movies as an accurate depiction of how effective ordinance was. Movies and reality are not good bed fellows.

HART_dreyer
10-02-2004, 06:27 PM
3-5 seconds? That is extremely long. I never fire more than 0.5 second burst and if I do I slap my self-silly as punishment. You know it does not matter how many seconds of fire you use unless you actually hit the target right?

BTW, don't use the AI to compare, it's ******ed.

LStarosta
10-02-2004, 07:13 PM
I'd say that when your adrenaline is pumping, your brain goes into overdrive, and things seem to be happening in slow motion, hence the illusion you were firing for several seconds.

Tully__
10-02-2004, 11:42 PM
If you line up directly behind another plane and hose it, you will probably need to get a lot of shots into it before you do enough damage to bring it down.

If you get a bit of angle and aim at the engine or the wing roots, you often find it only takes a quarter to a half second to bring 'em down.

clint-ruin
10-03-2004, 01:21 AM
As Tully says - there is a lot going on in FBs damage model and some shots are more effective than others. The type of rounds a gun fires, the angle and speed of impact, the type of surface hit, and previous damage taken to that spot are taken into account.

If you stand still and let yourself get shot up by the AI - you will often see that although the visual representation of damage doesn't change much, the damage is effecting plane handling, control systems, destroying your weapons, etc.

There's a post a couple of forum pages back with the FB ammo data tables in it, take a look at that and you'll get a bit better idea of which guns are firing which rounds how fast. One other thing that will boost your understanding of FBs gunnery model is turning on 'arcade' mode in the FB conf.ini file. Open the file conf.ini [it's in FBs base installation directory] with Notepad and scroll down to the line "Arcade=". Change this to arcade=1. This turns on extended bullet impact graphic effects in FB - you will see exactly what type of rounds hit where from what angle, shown as arrows sticking out of the plane. Just play the game normally with this setting on, and you'll get a very clear impression of which shots are doing the most damage.