PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire XII

ImpStarDuece
06-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Does anyone have anygood resources they can recommend, in either published or electronic form, on the Spitfire XII?

Specifically, I would like stuff on;

1. Service entry and performance
2. Aircraft testing and data sheets

and most importantly;

3. Information on the Griffon III and IV engines.

With all the information out there about hte Merlin and its istory it is suprising how much the Griffon is ignored.

Does anyone know what changes were made between the Griffon III and IV?

I have already got everything from Mike Williams Spitfire Performance Testing Page and the 41s Squadron homepage (which are both stuffed with primary documants). Anywhere else I should look?

ImpStarDuece
06-26-2005, 04:44 AM
Does anyone have anygood resources they can recommend, in either published or electronic form, on the Spitfire XII?

Specifically, I would like stuff on;

1. Service entry and performance
2. Aircraft testing and data sheets

and most importantly;

3. Information on the Griffon III and IV engines.

With all the information out there about hte Merlin and its istory it is suprising how much the Griffon is ignored.

Does anyone know what changes were made between the Griffon III and IV?

I have already got everything from Mike Williams Spitfire Performance Testing Page and the 41s Squadron homepage (which are both stuffed with primary documants). Anywhere else I should look?

Low_Flyer_MkII
06-26-2005, 05:04 AM
Was going to point you towards the spitfiretest page till I re-read your post http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif - you could try The Spitfire Story by Alfred Price
ISBN 1-85605-702-X Cassell/Silverdale Books 2002. Lots of performance facts and figures in the appendices. Nicely illustrated throughout.

3.JG51_Stecher
06-26-2005, 05:51 AM
Since you've already looked around, you may know some of this, but here's what I could come up with so far.

Spitfire Mk. XII, the first production Spitfire to use the Griffon engine, entered service with No. 41 Squadron and then No. 91 Squadron, two home defense units, in February 1943. There were only 100 produced, half using Mk. Vc airframes, and the other half using Mk. VIIIs. Clipped wings and retractable tail wheel were standard.

3.JG51_Stecher
06-26-2005, 06:23 AM
As far as I can tell, the only difference between the Griffon III and IV was the reduction gear ratio. 0.451 for the III and 0.510 for the IV. At 2,750 rpm, both produced 1,730 hp @ 750 ft and 1,490 hp @ 14,000 ft.

Utchoud
06-26-2005, 09:14 AM
I just posted a chart with specifications of British aircraft engines in ORR. You will find some basic data on the Griffons there, too.

Utchoud