PDA

View Full Version : FB+AEP Connection Timeout - strange symptom

FlapsJammed
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey Guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm new as a member here at Ubi, but not new to the Il2 franchise. I've been flying the sim since the beginning up through PF. (My favorite being FB+AEP.)

Anywho, my reason for posting here is the problem shown in the thread subject. At first glance it may look like a typical network problem, but hear me out... it's kinda weird.

Version: 2.04
Game: Dogfight multiplayer map
Setup: simple LAN network, basic Gigabit switch (no firewalls)
The machine in question is the newest of mine to have Il2 installed. Unlike ever other of my machines, it's not custom built - it's gamer laptop intended for LAN game sessions (got tired of lugging my tower around, lol). Here's the problem: it can connect to a hosted game just fine, but within 20sec or so, will be booted with this message "Remote host has terminated the connection: Reason = timeout". (The other computers involved have all had no trouble whatsoever hosting and connecting to countless games of Il2.) If this same machine hosts a game, any client that connects to it will be booted at the same time with the same message. To me it seems obvious the problem lies with this laptop. I have tried every trick in the hat I could think of, all to no avail.

Here is a important symptom. If the laptop hosts a game, even though no other computer can keep the connection with it, I can jump in the cockpit and fly around. Frame rate isn't bad and overall pretty smooth, BUT the whole game is slow. It's silky smooth but slow, just as if time compression was at 1/2 speed (or 3/4 speed). But that can't be because time compression is only active during save track playback. This is during live, real-time flying... it's the strangest thing. If indeed the laptop is running the game at a slower reference speed, it's obvious why it can't keep a connection with any host, their "time stamps" won't jive. Question is, why is it doing this.

Various driver settings, CPU affinity change, CPU priority, audio driver settings, Il2 setup settings, etc... adjustments of all of these have yielded no changes. Honestly, I'm a bit stumped.

So, any help or suggestions from you all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Happy Flying,

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

FlapsJammed
02-14-2008, 08:32 AM
Hey Guys http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

I'm new as a member here at Ubi, but not new to the Il2 franchise. I've been flying the sim since the beginning up through PF. (My favorite being FB+AEP.)

Anywho, my reason for posting here is the problem shown in the thread subject. At first glance it may look like a typical network problem, but hear me out... it's kinda weird.

Version: 2.04
Game: Dogfight multiplayer map
Setup: simple LAN network, basic Gigabit switch (no firewalls)
The machine in question is the newest of mine to have Il2 installed. Unlike ever other of my machines, it's not custom built - it's gamer laptop intended for LAN game sessions (got tired of lugging my tower around, lol). Here's the problem: it can connect to a hosted game just fine, but within 20sec or so, will be booted with this message "Remote host has terminated the connection: Reason = timeout". (The other computers involved have all had no trouble whatsoever hosting and connecting to countless games of Il2.) If this same machine hosts a game, any client that connects to it will be booted at the same time with the same message. To me it seems obvious the problem lies with this laptop. I have tried every trick in the hat I could think of, all to no avail.

Here is a important symptom. If the laptop hosts a game, even though no other computer can keep the connection with it, I can jump in the cockpit and fly around. Frame rate isn't bad and overall pretty smooth, BUT the whole game is slow. It's silky smooth but slow, just as if time compression was at 1/2 speed (or 3/4 speed). But that can't be because time compression is only active during save track playback. This is during live, real-time flying... it's the strangest thing. If indeed the laptop is running the game at a slower reference speed, it's obvious why it can't keep a connection with any host, their "time stamps" won't jive. Question is, why is it doing this.

Various driver settings, CPU affinity change, CPU priority, audio driver settings, Il2 setup settings, etc... adjustments of all of these have yielded no changes. Honestly, I'm a bit stumped.

So, any help or suggestions from you all would be appreciated. Thanks!

Happy Flying,

Cheers http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

DmdSeeker
02-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Just a silly gues...

many laptops have a BIOS power saving setting which, depending on conditions such as are you running on batteries or mains, can throttle back the CPU to save power.

Could this be affecting things?

FlapsJammed
02-14-2008, 09:14 AM
You bring up a good point, actually. Answering your question, no, I don't believe I have any power management active in the OS and I don't believe there is any management even available in the BIOS.

Regarding the CPU, if it were being throttled back as you were surmising, wouldn't this ultimately result in a drop in frame rate? Or a drop in audio samples? The game should have some hesitations or even become "jerky", or poor sound quality, etc. But it doesn't. Smooth but slow.

I've wondered, what does the game engine use as a time reference for the simulation? It either has to be the system clock or the CPU clock. If it's the CPU clock, perhaps it is getting fooled by something relating to the CPU and this is fouling up the game time speed. Anybody else heard of problems with IL2 and dual-core? I was wondering about this, but switching the affinity had no effect.

Korolov1986
02-14-2008, 10:54 AM
The speed problem seems like it could be related to display refresh rate? I'd try getting a updated video driver for that.

EDIT: You might also want to try switching between OpenGL and D3D rendering systems and see if you get the same effects.

The connection problem sounds like a port may not be open or a firewall may be on.

FlapsJammed
02-14-2008, 01:34 PM
I could try adjusting refresh rate, see what that does. I have the most recent video driver that I can find installed. (One of those annoying things where Nvidia won't distribute the drivers, only the laptop manufacturer will - so I'm kinda limited.)

No firewalls of any kind, and I think it's important to note that this machine can connect to the hosted game (but will be disconnected shortly), so it's not a obvious network problem. And, this machine has done many a happy hour LAN gaming on other games with absolutely no network multiplayer problems.