PDA

View Full Version : Long play sessions crash NVidia display driver 398.36

Carch
07-02-2018, 08:17 AM
398.36 is the "Game Ready Driver" for The Crew 2. Unfortunately it does not appear to be ready for how I play The Crew 2. After playing for some length of time, the game crashes the display driver unrecoverably, the display stops working, and I have to use the PC's power button to shut it down. I have the Steam version of the game.

I can see the following Warning events in the Windows System event log:

Event 4101, Display: "Display driver nvlddmkm stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

followed by

Event 4115, Display: "Display driver failed to start; using Microsoft Basic Display Driver instead. Check Windows Update for a newer display driver."

As I mentioned, I am using the current Nvidia driver, installed using GeForce Experience.

I have tried deleting The Crew 2 directory in My Documents, thinking perhaps there was a corrupted cache file in there or something, but the problem eventually happens again if I play long enough.

My DxDiag can be found here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IXDOHUkMAdCJ6f_WhhSDQ1c3O6-uC_Xa

TG_striker890
07-02-2018, 09:30 AM
This is most likely not caused by the Crew itself. Possibilities are that your gpu is running unstable (heat, power, etc.) or your driver is not working right (try reinstall).
As it most likley is not on Ubsioft's side please go to the Nvidia Forums.

Carch
07-02-2018, 10:41 AM
My GPU temps are fine, and I play lots of other 3D graphics intensive games (Destiny 2, Forza Horizon 3, Assassin's Creed Origins, just to name 3) without issues. I don't have an unusual configuration, either, just a single GTX 970 driving a several year old 1080p monitor

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to use DDU and reinstall, but I am not optimistic that it would help. I suspect it is a rare issue that only occurs after long play sessions (2 hours or more). It wouldn't surprise me if it was a driver issue. I've seen Nvidia issue fixes for this sort of thing before.

X---Alex---X
07-22-2018, 10:33 PM
Can confirm same here! The issues stopped once I went to an older driver.

UbiMatcha
07-23-2018, 09:48 AM
Hey X---Alex---X, thanks for sharing your workaround.

Carch, are you able to revert to a previous driver to see if this solves the issue?

joridiculous
07-23-2018, 02:58 PM
Im playing this game with old trusted 378.78 version. No problems.
"game ready" drivers are bullsh*t. Stick with what community confirms as stable version.

Carch
07-23-2018, 07:56 PM
Well, I recently upgraded to a 1070 ti, and this problem doesn't happen on the new card. On the other hand, The Crew 2 sometimes crashes to desktop with the new card - no error, no crash report, just poof disappears. I'm working through the issue with support, but it's tricky because like the previous problem, I can't make this happen. It just happens after a while.

If the crash happens again on the 1070 ti, I'll try installing the older driver.

joridiculous
07-24-2018, 12:37 AM
Im playing on a 1080ti. And that driver is what i had to update to when installing the card.
I can play the game for quite some times (think 5 or 6 hours is the longest) and (so far) it haven't crashed. (I do use a "aggressive" custom fan setting in Afterburner)
I have had AC-Origins "hardlock" a few times for me though..

angrybearduk
07-26-2018, 01:01 AM
Not sure if it's adding anything to your case but I started having recently a very similar problem. However not only while gaming but also doing other stuff - Adobe XD, even Chrome browser. Randomly once or twice a day both of my screens will go black and display "no signal". The computer works then for a short while and then it freezes. Also only power button restart in my case. It happens more often when I play The Division. I noticed that one of the missions is 100% chance for a crash. I have msi gtx 1070, I was monitoring temperatures at it sits between 60 and 70 C...

maryyamahmed
11-02-2019, 04:36 PM
I had the same issue it was solved through the guide provided on https://windowstipshub.com/fix-nvidia-installer-failed-issue-windows-10/ and iím relieved since then! I would recommend you all to read this blog and get some additional information about it from here.