PDA

View Full Version : How can we avoid the UAC prompt on launch?

altenbach
06-27-2018, 08:10 PM
I have reported this in the open beta, hoping it will be fixed in the released version, but it still occurs:

Whenever the program is launched from within Uplay, Windows 10 throws an UAC prompt (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User_Account_Control) that needs to be accepted to continue.

Other Ubisoft games don't do that. Why does it happen and how can we avoid getting it?

Phat_Monkey
06-27-2018, 10:01 PM
Just turn UAC off, command promt admin, paste: reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

To turn back on paste: reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

You can also do this via control panel, user accounts, system and security, change use account and control settings, then move the slider all the way down to the bottom / never notify.

altenbach
06-27-2018, 10:44 PM
Thanks, but I am not looking for a global setting (I am aware of that procedure).

I guess I am looking for a reason why Crew 2 triggers this and if it can be made to behave like other ubisoft games without turning UAC off globally. I think this should be solved on their end.

UbiGabrinth
06-27-2018, 11:52 PM
Hi, altenbach. Are you running Uplay as administrator (https://support.ubi.com/en-gb/faqs/000025662/Run-applications-with-administrator-rights/)? Please see if this issue continues after setting Uplay to run as admin.

rymdriddaren
06-28-2018, 05:00 AM
Just turn UAC off, command promt admin, paste: reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f

To turn back on paste: reg.exe ADD HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Pol icies\System /v EnableLUA /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f

You can also do this via control panel, user accounts, system and security, change use account and control settings, then move the slider all the way down to the bottom / never notify.

As a power user and many years in the IT tech industry NEVER do this. the UAC might be annoying but it is there for your protection. Only user with good knowledge of computer should ever turn off the UAC and even then only for short experiments in sandboxes. Doesn't matter how careful you are a computer with UAC off is far easier to hack/break cause trust me. A UAC prompt is there to tell you, something is about to happen that needs elevated rights and its up to you as a user to trust the source of the software that triggered the UAC and or investigate it.

With the UAC off your computer is far easier to hack and be used for nefarious tasks.

Hi, altenbach. Are you running Uplay as administrator? Please see if this issue continues after setting Uplay to run as admin.

This is also bad practice, nothing should need to be needed be run constantly as administration.

Phat_Monkey
06-28-2018, 01:55 PM
As a power user and many years in the IT tech industry NEVER do this. the UAC might be annoying but it is there for your protection. Only user with good knowledge of computer should ever turn off the UAC and even then only for short experiments in sandboxes. Doesn't matter how careful you are a computer with UAC off is far easier to hack/break cause trust me. A UAC prompt is there to tell you, something is about to happen that needs elevated rights and its up to you as a user to trust the source of the software that triggered the UAC and or investigate it.

With the UAC off your computer is far easier to hack and be used for nefarious tasks.

This is also bad practice, nothing should need to be needed be run constantly as administration.

As a music producer my software requires I turn it off to prevent errors, I have not had it on for years but you are right, unless you are PC savvy maybe it is best to leave it on, but as long as you have good protection in place norton security / malwarebytes u should be ok...

magicAl0ns0
06-28-2018, 02:30 PM
Thanks, but I am not looking for a global setting (I am aware of that procedure).

I guess I am looking for a reason why Crew 2 triggers this and if it can be made to behave like other ubisoft games without turning UAC off globally. I think this should be solved on their end.

I know how you feel, I'm having the same "issue" and it is not the first game. Also the Uplay client itself wants the admin rights too.
I usually ignore them and click No at UAC prompt except if I expect some update or installation.. The Crew 2 works fine if you click No at UAC. Only the first time you have to allow it because it installs DirectX update and some other libraries.. Next time it runs ok without the privilegies..
Hope this helps.

noxxys
06-28-2018, 03:48 PM
It's a wild guess but, did you install your game inside the Program Files folder? If so, this might be why Uplay and the game need admin access to make modifications to the files.
I always install all my games in a Games folder at the root of one of my hard drives, and I never had such problem.

magicAl0ns0
06-28-2018, 04:13 PM
It's a wild guess but, did you install your game inside the Program Files folder? If so, this might be why Uplay and the game need admin access to make modifications to the files.
I always install all my games in a Games folder at the root of one of my hard drives, and I never had such problem.

I did, I always install it to another partition on another physical disk... It still asks for UAC.. And it is true, if it is installed in Program Files and needs to modify a single file in it, it has to have admin rights.

I say, on my OS uPlay asks for UAC, I say no and it starts fine. Game asks for UAC I say no, wait a moment and it starts fine.. It was like that with Far Cry.. it like that now with the Crew 2. Origin and Steam as well as their games works fine and doesn't ask for uac. They are however installed itself on another disk. Uplay is installed in program files so I know it will ask for admin rights almost every time. But clicking No works ok for me.

altenbach
06-28-2018, 05:26 PM
Thanks for all the comments. Apparently I am not alone here. It's not a big deal to click that thing and I guess I have to live with it for now

To answer some of the questions:

No, the game is not installed in C:\Program files, but in a custom folder on a second disk (D:\games\ubisoft ....)
If I run it directly from the installed folder, it does the UAC prompt
If I run in from within uplay, it pops up the UAC prompt
If I run Uplay as administrator, Uplay pops up the UAC prompt, but the game later does not.

Similar to some android apps, the permissions don't seem to be properly vetted and are set a bit too greedy for no good reason at all, especially since some of you observed that it runs fine even when rejecting the permissions. Obviously, the permissions are needed for the first install and presumably for later software updates, but they should not be needed if no updates are pending. I still believe that this is something ubisoft should try to investigate and fix on their end. The UAC prompt should only appear if it is really necessary (patch install, etc.).

Thanks for all your contributions here.

Ze6rah
06-29-2018, 06:27 AM
It does it for me because it tries to install microsoft visual c++ redistributables, if yours have same reason you want to delete all versions that came out after the one that game tries to install
P.s. you can find out what version it is by launching it manually in game_folder/Support

altenbach
07-01-2018, 05:17 PM
It does it for me because it tries to install microsoft visual c++ redistributables, if yours have same reason you want to delete all versions that came out after the one that game tries to install
P.s. you can find out what version it is by launching it manually in game_folder/Support

Well, again this is advice that is only appropriate if I have a PC dedicated to exactly this single game. Many programs require a specific version of the redistributable, and if you uninstall some of them, other programs might fail to run. This is not a gamble I am willing to take.

This is a relatively new, quite lean computer (very few program installed) but here is a list of the VC++ redist. versions currently installed (2008. 2010, 2012, 2013, 2015, both x86 and x64, except 2008 is x86 only.). My older computers have a much longer list!

The support folder contains 14.0.24210.0, while my computer has 14.0.24215.1 installed, i.e. a very, very slightly newer version.

I doubt that just checking if a compatible version is installed requires elevation, so they seem to do it the cheap way, just trying to install and let windows figure out if it is needed or not. The only time this installation attempt needs to be done is during installation of the game, not during every single launch.

Yes, running as admin, flashes something about VC++ for a very short time, presumably attempting to install, but figuring out that an installation is not needed. At this time (or during installation!), it could set a permanent flag that it is not needed and never try again. I am sure they could figure something out! :D

altenbach
08-09-2018, 10:03 PM
Still getting that UAC prompt every time I start this game. Is there a command line option that can be set to skip the completely pointless "VC++ redist" installation attempt?

(No, I won't uninstall my slightly newer version of that redistributable)

FinalDrive360
08-10-2018, 08:52 AM
Try creating an elevated shortcut.

https://winaero.com/blog/create-elevated-shortcut-to-skip-uac-prompt-in-windows-10/

altenbach
08-10-2018, 09:16 AM
Yes, I know there are workarounds. I still believe this needs to be solved by ubisoft.

Ze6rah
08-10-2018, 06:19 PM
.I still believe this needs to be solved by ubisoft.

I agree with you, but this is a uplay issue. Have you created a support ticket under uplay section?

Ze6rah
08-10-2018, 06:25 PM
...if you uninstall some of them, other programs might fail to run.

If it bothers you, you could uninstall newer version, run the game so it installs its version and registers it in manifest file, then install newer version again.
Just proposing a good way to get rid of yor problem, you do what you want.

altenbach
08-10-2018, 07:22 PM
I don't know where the newer version came from. ;) I'll try a few things ....

joridiculous
08-11-2018, 10:28 PM
If it bothers you, you could uninstall newer version, run the game so it installs its version and registers it in manifest file, then install newer version again.
Just proposing a good way to get rid of yor problem, you do what you want.

if you look through the registry you will find that the VC is installed. And still the game wants to install it again and again.
If the d*mned uplay_intall.state was editable you could remove the vc BS from that. But it aint.

zedsepic
07-22-2019, 07:36 PM
Ok guys i tried hard with this since 1 hour. Solution as follows:

1. Install Microsoft Application Compatibility Toolkit
2. Install Windows ADK since Windows 10 1903
3. Start compatadmin.exe
(C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Assessment and Deployment Kit\Application Compatibility Toolkit\Compatibility Administrator (64-bit))
4. Klick fix Button on top toolbar -> Name = something, Vendor = something, Path = [YOUR STEAM PATH HERE]\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SpaceJunkies\Suppor t\UplayPC\UplayInstaller.exe

Repeat step 4 with Steam.exe and maybe upc.exe, UplayService.exe and Uplay.exe in your Ubisoft Game Launcher Installpath.

It works!

UbiMorning
07-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion zedsepic.