PDA

View Full Version : Things I've noticed from Closed -> Open Beta -> Launch product

D13H4RD2L1V3
06-27-2018, 04:25 AM
So, I've played the Closed and Open Beta builds of The Crew 2 for a combined 8 hours, and played around 3 hours of the final build. While my initial impressions weren't......impressive in the closed beta, I started warming up to it by the end of it and I warmed up even further in the open beta to the point of getting the Gold Edition and having early access to the launch product as a result. However, while I have certainly enjoyed my time playing the game thus far, there are issues which I've seen in the beta builds alongside the final build. Some of those have already been discussed but I'll repeat some of them as they can be considered critical.

GRAPHICS
This one is quite a broad topic and there have been multiple threads regarding the game's relatively mediocre-by-2018 overall graphics. I'll break it down and sort them by importance from most important to least. But the game does probably warrant a potential graphical enhancement pack if deemed possible.

Low LODs and render distance. This one has been covered to death but it's because it's the issue that requires sorting out very soon. Even maxed out on PC, the LODs are very low, and texture pop-in is extremely obvious oftentimes, which can prove to be distracting and break the immersion. Same thing goes for the popping-in of objects. During the sleeper street race, it is very common for props like trash bags to appear out of thin air a foot in front of your vehicle. And in some of the rally raid races, the same applies to rocks, which can prove to really ruin your times. Needless to say, the LODs need to be sorted out, especially since modern GPUs have the VRAM capacity to fill in textures and models into GPU memory. The game uses less than 3GB out of my GTX 1060's 6GB, for instance, so there's definite headroom in there.
Temporal anti-aliasing. Another common issue is the forced TXAA, which causes blur when moving. While I can understand why TXAA is used, it being forced is not a good thing as it reduces sharpness when moving and many aren't keen on having blurriness when moving. An option for MSAA or MFAA on NVIDIA GeForce GTX 900+ GPUs would be greatly appreciated as well as having TXAA no longer being forced to "on" by default.
Texture quality. Not my biggest concern but it needed to be mentioned. While the player car models look really good, the world textures and even some on the player's car look pretty low in detail. Such as the road textures which resemble concrete parking-lot pavement or the Audi Virtual Cockpit gauge cluster on the Audi TT RS or R8 V10+ that look really low in resolution for some odd reason. The LODs are a bigger concern right now but I wouldn't be opposed to a potential HD texture pack sometime after launch

GAMEPLAY
There are quite a number of gameplay things I noticed, but for the sake of importance, I laid them down to 2.

Rubber-banding. I understand that rubber-banding is a thing in many racing games in order to provide more "thrills" by having opponents more closely-matched with the player. But in this game, it can be extremely obvious at times, so much so that at one point, I had a 7 second lead from the others but after making a single mistake of just taking a bad line, my lead was eroded to a mere 3 seconds. The rubber-banding in its current implementation makes it so that making a single mistake can prove to be detrimental to sucess or failure. My suggestion is to leave the aggressive rubber banding for hard difficulties but make it a little more forgiving in normal difficulty.
Quick-swap occasionally forgetting your favorite vehicles. I've really noticed this only in the final early-access build but it oftentimes defaults to my starter Audi TT despite selecting my Ferrari 458 that I got from the rewards programme as my preferred mode of ground transportation. I don't know if this was intentional as I haven't unlocked the hypercar class, but it's been happening sometimes for me.
Pedestrians in the racing area. I find it funny when the announcer says "Do not walk into the race area" but there are pedestrians walking about and even crossing the road like they didn't care that there are a bunch of cars racing about. Don't really know if they should be removed when racing or kept in as some sort of a gag.

MISCELLANEOUS
Nothing particularly important but something I'd still like to see addressed anyhow

Vehicle arrangement in the house resetting at times. Didn't really notice this in the beta much but it's apparent in the final build. When rearranging your vehicles, leaving and re-entering the house and going to the garage tends to reset the vehicle arrangement back to its defaults. Don't know if this was intentional but I don't think it should be like this. I'd like it to stay at where I left it. On a side note, if there indeed are more than the 2 houses (Miami and LA for SP owners), have the vehicle arrangement be different for each house for variety's sake a la TDU.

That's all I have for now, but I'll update this thread if I find more that I'd like to see addressed. If you have something you'd like to add, please comment below.

If anyone is curious, I play this game on PC. Specs are listed below;
CPU: Intel Core i7 7700H @ 2.8GHz - 3.8GHz when turbo-boosted (usually stays at 3.4GHz when all 4 cores are utilized)
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 w/ 6GB of GDDR5
RAM: 16GB of DDR4-2133
Storage: OS is stored on a 128GB M.2 SATA drive, while the game is installed on a 1TB 7200RPM HDD

I use an Xbox One controller to play the game, but I use a Logitech G810 + G502 if I need to use the keyboard and mouse. Audio is provided via Logitech G430.

Caelum_NL
06-27-2018, 10:34 AM
I'm on PS4 and noticed these issues too. Certainly the computer forgetting what car is your fave is pretty annoying.

I want to add to this that the GPS is not functioning correctly depending on the vehicle you drive in. It sends my dune buggy through a 30 meter high and a kilometer long mountain wall instead of around it and then through a canyon with stone plateaus of varying heights that are certainly not made for any kind of cars.

Also add Photo ops to your map if I accept one, please. I don't know where the the US Bank tower in LA is as I can't recognise it amongst the rest of the tower buildings.

Next up, I would like it if my arrow depicting my position on the map was another color than white as the map is also white.

And when you are in a crew, make it explicitely clear where they are on the map, please.

Also give more reasons to drive places instead of teleporting. You did such a good job in the crew 1 with that.

In lots of things this game is a downgrade compared to the crew 1 and for reasons I don't really understand why you changed or left it out of the game.

D13H4RD2L1V3
06-27-2018, 12:07 PM
I want to add to this that the GPS is not functioning correctly depending on the vehicle you drive in. It sends my dune buggy through a 30 meter high and a kilometer long mountain wall instead of around it and then through a canyon with stone plateaus of varying heights that are certainly not made for any kind of cars.
Ditto.

The GPS sometimes puts a straight path as if you are in an airplane despite being in a car. And on that topic, TC1 had a floating line which showed you the route to take. While I understand it wasn't everyone's cup-of-tea, perhaps an option for it can be implemented?

QuickNET-Tech
06-27-2018, 01:59 PM
The GPS sometimes puts a straight path as if you are in an airplane despite being in a car.
I had that so many times during the closed beta, and here and there in the open one. I only have the standard edition, so haven't played the release build yet, but this was a major pain for me when it happened.

Lord_Vipes
06-27-2018, 04:13 PM
I'd like to chime in that the Vinyl editor isn't really up to par with the competitors. You can't get things precise, lots of key shapes missing, ect. We don't even have gradient shapes! I could forgive this if there was a way to upload our own images or vectors to apply to our cars but there isn't. Forza is still miles above anyone on vinyl editors.