PDA

View Full Version : I flew on a Sixty Plane Server with 56k modem, Whoohooooo!

Jumoschwanz
12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
On Hyperlobby there was a server that said "1942 server". I clicked on it and the list of pilots on it was so long it went from the top to the bottom of my monitor and I had to put my taskbar on the side to see the "join" button. There were almost forty pilots on it. I joined to see what would happen, and to my surprise I had no problems at all!
The checktime speeds were set to default 17/20. But there was only minor lag on this server once in a while. None bad enough to screw up anyone's shooting or enjoyment.

What was really cool was it was a Eastern front server, limited to 1942 and earlier axis/russian craft. So it was just like flying online in the early days of the sim.

I flew as long as I wanted to then disconnected myself. I did not get booted or warned about my ping once. I hope this is the direction things are going to go as far as server performance. I don't know if the server was using the new dedicated software or not, but I never would have put money on not being booted from a server, with that many other pilots, and no ping or lag problems. Wow!

S!

Jumoschwanz

Jumoschwanz
12-01-2004, 01:39 PM
On Hyperlobby there was a server that said "1942 server". I clicked on it and the list of pilots on it was so long it went from the top to the bottom of my monitor and I had to put my taskbar on the side to see the "join" button. There were almost forty pilots on it. I joined to see what would happen, and to my surprise I had no problems at all!
The checktime speeds were set to default 17/20. But there was only minor lag on this server once in a while. None bad enough to screw up anyone's shooting or enjoyment.

What was really cool was it was a Eastern front server, limited to 1942 and earlier axis/russian craft. So it was just like flying online in the early days of the sim.

I flew as long as I wanted to then disconnected myself. I did not get booted or warned about my ping once. I hope this is the direction things are going to go as far as server performance. I don't know if the server was using the new dedicated software or not, but I never would have put money on not being booted from a server, with that many other pilots, and no ping or lag problems. Wow!

S!

Jumoschwanz

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-01-2004, 01:45 PM
No ping, no lag problems.. maybe no ground objects? Maybe the host got really lucky and was using all 56kbps. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Jumoschwanz
12-01-2004, 01:55 PM
There were no ships, but the airbases looked like they had the default helping of long and short aaa chattering away.

I was really stunned and pleased at this, because of the performance of the server, and because I miss Eastern front style of servers that we don't see so much anymore since the pacific theatre was added. This server was packed with pilots though, indicating that maybe I am not the only one missing them? S!

Jumoschwanz

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-01-2004, 02:00 PM
Have to agree with you there, although I do like the new aircraft and maps... I still do miss the Eastern front. If I had DSL or Cable I think I would run Eastern front maps myself.

crazyivan1970
12-01-2004, 02:03 PM
I think Jumo didn`t word it correctly... Jumo was on 56k http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Well if thats the case then Jumo you got lucky. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-very-happy.gif Sadly I barely hold a 26.4kbps connection with AOL and cant hold a good ping down to have a good time on WarClouds or Greatergreen(when it was up). Heck, even with little to no ground objects I still ping high. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif Maybe I should move the 30 miles to get DSL. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif

crazyivan1970
12-01-2004, 02:27 PM
Drop AOL and go with MSN, much much better service. I use to have it before cable... pings were in mid/low 200s

Jumoschwanz
12-01-2004, 07:46 PM
Yes, I was on 56k, I am sure the server was broadband.

I was just hoping that some refinements in the new dedicated server patch made some difference in 56k performance.

I don't think anyone will ever have good 56k performance getting thier service from any corporation. They **** up your computer with software that is always using up bandwith in the background. I get mine from a local independent isp that has no software whatsoever to install, and it is only $9.95 a month.
Also I run an external hardware modem, which is supposed to use less resources.

This last year has been my worst as far as getting kicked from servers. Probably two out of three times I joined I got kicked this year. It has always changed with different patches and drivers. So I am hoping now with all this new stuff we have for the sim that things will turn around for a bit. S!

Jumoschwanz

Willey
12-01-2004, 07:59 PM
I also flew on the Virtualpilots when it first had the new 3.02bm 128 player server. It was 45-80 players and I had very little stutter from respawn or flak and close to no lag. It was more fluid than some 8, 10, 12 player host'n'play servers, especially stutter-wise.

_VR_ScorpionWorm
12-01-2004, 08:16 PM
I was part of an independant ISP that charged 9.95 a month. Then I cancelled due to other matters and they kept charging me for months I never got online..... still arguing with them to this day.. and that was 4 months ago..

LEXX_Luthor
12-01-2004, 08:20 PM
What map were they using?