PDA

View Full Version : Should we pull the plug on Ranked?

Lord_Cherubi
06-17-2018, 09:16 PM
First of all i want to say that i really like the announcer, even losing is fun when you get to hear how he talks smack on your performance. And the teams, while they don't matter a whole lot, are a nice extra.

But i've never got into a 4v4 and i've only played 5 or something 1v1 tournaments. Last night i decided to give it a go after a long time since i really wanted the Mohawk kind of ornament (Pegasus Rider i guess?).

It was a real pain. After waiting for something that felt like forever i got into my first match, the player left almost as soon as the round started and i got a win by forfeit. Then i had to wait again, propably 10-15 minutes before i got matched against the only player still around, propably the only one besides that leaver. Well, we fought tooth and nail for a two intense duels but i had to accept my 2nd place (no ornament, im still holding back my tears :(

I understand that Ubi wanted this game to grow big as a E-sport and at first i wanted it too but should it be a priority anymore while they already have inhumane amounts of work to do with all of the other stuff. They still have a great chance of making the game excellent and appeal to a bigger audience but will it ever be a (for the lack of a better word) "official" E-sport game?

Who knows, maybe they will take the market by storm on October or at some later time and if that's what the players want and if THEY still want it then maybe they could bring it back better than ever at some point. But as of right now, i'd suggest they take down the Ranked mode completely and use valuable development time in something else. (It's not very supported i know but why pay anyone to design exclusive ornaments for a mode that no one even plays for example?)

Knight_Raime
06-17-2018, 09:21 PM
Absolutely. Ranked is barely played to begin with. 4v4 ranked doesn't reward people well enough among other issues. And duel tourney is regarded as an absolute joke by the competitive community. It's more flawed than 4v4 ranked. Unless the devs actually have plans to majorly overhaul ranked/duel tourney I think they should just be scrapped. It sucks that their effort would go to waste that way. But there's no real point keeping the system around if it doesn't work. It just takes up space and semi divides up the population.

Lord_Cherubi
06-17-2018, 10:20 PM
Absolutely. Ranked is barely played to begin with. 4v4 ranked doesn't reward people well enough among other issues. And duel tourney is regarded as an absolute joke by the competitive community. It's more flawed than 4v4 ranked. Unless the devs actually have plans to majorly overhaul ranked/duel tourney I think they should just be scrapped. It sucks that their effort would go to waste that way. But there's no real point keeping the system around if it doesn't work. It just takes up space and semi divides up the population.

Yeah, i feel bad for them as well because at least they tried ;/ . But the very fact alone that they basically have to make new exclusive rewards every season, just so they might get someone to play, is just sad. If you really want the cool ones badly (maybe a few cool ones per season, the rest usually looks like scrap metal planted to your face) , all you have to do is sit trough the painfull waiting period and beat one opponent since after the very first night it released, i haven't seen a full tournament. Not ever...

If it worked and if people would play it, i could see myself playing the tournament. 4v4 im not so sure, i feel like it was never needed and before all of the technical and balancing issues are gone, im wondering why they thought it would work out in the first place.

Alustar.exe
06-17-2018, 11:38 PM
I kind of want to try this out just to see what I can do...

Lord_Cherubi
06-17-2018, 11:56 PM
One more thing i'd like to add and this is not a complaint since it's not anyone's fault but in Ranked duels people always seem to play super passive and cautious since there is something on the line (ornaments). Now this is only natural human behaviour, you need to win to get the best rewards so you do your best to not make a mistake. But unlike in normal 1v1's, the pace and all-around feel of the battle is much slower, as certain heroes i like to play aggressive and keep up the pressure but if my enemy does nothing but block and wait for their turn i get uncomfortable and am somewhat forced to do the same. Then it just comes down to who makes more mistakes or the biggest one, rather than just trading blows with pace.