PDA

View Full Version : Fixing Multiplayer with player levels higher than yours

TMG_Ken
06-15-2018, 03:22 PM
Hi there, this I feel has been talked about already so I'll keep it concise.

I believe that The Divison 2 needs a way for players in different level gaps to still be able to play with each other in PVE. For example in the first division, I picked the game up day 1 and cranked out level 9 in a couple of hours. I put it down to wait for a friend because he was picking it up on the weekend because payday. I Joined his game when he entered Manhattan and he was level 4 so we started doing his missions to get him up to speed. Unfortunately the game had all the AI leveled up to my level 9 and basically making my level 4 friends useless for PVE so they couldn't do anything and just sat there.

Here's what I propose. Have a way to either downscale the higher level players damage to equal out to the lowest players, or do what dead island did and kind of match the damage and health where if say I'm level 10 the zombie will deal level 10 damage to me and take level 10 damage, but to my level 2 friend it will deal and take level 2 damage.

Kynlore
06-15-2018, 05:24 PM
Multiple characters solves that issue. One you play solo and level at whatever pace you want. One you only play with your friend and stays the same level as them. Currently you can even pass equipment between your two characters.

Giralus
06-15-2018, 10:27 PM
They should add a mentoring option like Eq2.

When a high level player joins a group (of 1 or more other players) with lower level players there is an optlon to Mentor to a group members current level.
It reduces the Mentoring players skills/dmg/etc.etc.. to the lvl of the other player..

I believe it was a percent based decrease... so the mentoring player still had access to their skills/gear/etc.. so the Mentoring player would still be slightly more powerfull then the player they mentor, but not so overly powerfull so that the content is stll challenging for the group, and not a complete easymode cake walk.

Komrade_Zen
06-16-2018, 02:40 AM
It looks like some things (like weapon damage) will be kept baseline, and not much will modify damage output. That maybe one way the devs are trying to "normalize" the statistical variance.

Label07
06-16-2018, 05:33 PM
Multiple characters solves that issue. One you play solo and level at whatever pace you want. One you only play with your friend and stays the same level as them. Currently you can even pass equipment between your two characters.

NO. This works yes, but some of us do not want multiple characters. This is bad design mentality. In a co-op game they should always be looking for ways to push players to group up.

Agree OP. Guild Wars 2 did this quite well. No matter your level you could join another person (unless scaling up, doesn't work like that nor should it) assuming it was down-scaling. Each zone has a min-max recommended, if would always put the higher leveled character to the max of the zone.

I've always hated this in games, where a friend joins late and they have to catch up solo, not fun.

Xeelee102868
06-16-2018, 07:13 PM
I didn't play Destiny 1, but Destiny 2 seems to a good job of implementing this seamlessly for most activities.

It's why you can have a bunch of lvl30's and lvl10's doing the same public event, and the 10's aren't getting splattered all over the place.