PDA

View Full Version : Is there trick to counter guard break on PC?

Sintax.nolife
06-14-2018, 05:29 PM
Why I ask is that, I always see only 2 types of players, one who I can guard break and ones who always counter it, no matter what I do. Even when I try to mix it out and make not so obvious they still be able to counter my guard break. Is there better key bind for guard break? (i have bound it to my mouse side button). Or is it that some chars have longer guard break animation? (I am playing Orochi). I feel like I am missing something out and those why my counter to guard break isn't so efficient.

SpaceJim12
06-14-2018, 05:45 PM
If it's wait type guys, turtling in fron of you, thay just can react fast, it's not so hard.
If not, and your GB really unpredictable, so it could be cheat, similar with block trigger.

Wobbleshnort
06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
I do think the keybind is important. I'm on pc with controller and am getting very good at countering. I don't think I ever could do it using the default button, which required that I move my thumb over to the button first.

If the mouse button you're using is one that your thumb rests on already you're probably good. If you have to move, then click you'll need to be godly to pull it off.

Different characters do have different guardbreak animations. I don't know for sure, but shugoki's and lawbringer's seem faster than some others.

SangLong524
06-14-2018, 05:50 PM
Buy a controller.
There's no trick to counter gb as far as I know. The window to counter gb is less than a second. However, u can bait a gb, or expect to be gb. Or after a whiff, mid side steps often prone to be grabbed as well. These situations are uncounterable. So first step is practice generic guardbreaking and counter. Once u get it down to instinctive level, move to the next. Remember all the situations of uncounterable guardbreaks so u can do that as well as measure your steps to be out of range in those situtations.

Vakris_One
06-14-2018, 07:27 PM
There's players out there that have been playing this game for a year or more. One of the things you learn eventually as you play a lot is to get your counter-GB reactions to an instinctual level. I used to be terrible at counter-GBing within my first month and a bit of playing but eventually it just clicked one day and now it's very hard for me to miss a counter GB no matter when the opponent mixes it in. The only truly challenging ones are the heroes who can soft feint an unblockable attack into a GB.

The_B0G_
06-14-2018, 07:32 PM
Fake a heavy, then gb, a lot of people hover the GB button, if you fake the heavy and gb and they CGB it, next time fake the heavy, switch directions and light.

FH is 80% mind games.

Legion25846
06-14-2018, 08:08 PM
It comes with time man I just started playing about a month ago now and i said the same exact thing u did i could have swore everyone was cheating in this game with GB i couldnt land one to save my life.

Few weeks later not only have a learned to mix GB into my combos but I can now also GB opponents 75% of the time im still no pro by a long shot but it honestly just comes with time and practice and learning characters knowing when a character will throw a Gb is one of the biggest things.

All characters in this game have the same combos and abilities so knowing the characters will give u a good idea of when someone will throw a GB Not every player plays the same but you can pick up on it pretty quickly.

Legion25846
06-14-2018, 08:13 PM
Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure response time from your Mouse to your computer is slower then keyboard to computer change your hot key to your keyboard.

Normally this would not be an issue in pretty much everything else but in this game split second is all you get for gbs.

I used to have it on my mouse and i now find it works allot better on my keyboard.

Xinlyfenne
06-14-2018, 10:33 PM
Once you get used to it, it's second nature to counter GB on reaction. It's like with parrying certain attacks, you automatically react accordingly - but you don't need to switch guards.

UbiJurassic
06-15-2018, 01:34 AM
Why I ask is that, I always see only 2 types of players, one who I can guard break and ones who always counter it, no matter what I do. Even when I try to mix it out and make not so obvious they still be able to counter my guard break. Is there better key bind for guard break? (i have bound it to my mouse side button). Or is it that some chars have longer guard break animation? (I am playing Orochi). I feel like I am missing something out and those why my counter to guard break isn't so efficient.

I generally time counter-guardbreaks with when the opponent actually touched my hero. You can also try setting up some practice for counter-guardbreaks in the Arena or by doing the Warrior Trials. Both are extremely helpful and low stress, since you don't have to worry about being punished by the opponent too hard for messing it up. :)

Sintax.nolife
06-15-2018, 02:58 AM
Don't quote me on this but im pretty sure response time from your Mouse to your computer is slower then keyboard to computer change your hot key to your keyboard.

Normally this would not be an issue in pretty much everything else but in this game split second is all you get for gbs.

I used to have it on my mouse and i now find it works allot better on my keyboard.

To what key did you bind it?

Sintax.nolife
06-15-2018, 03:14 AM
I have seen games were you play half a year with wrong config till someone says "Hey, your break free from boss chain attack is too slow, if its still on mouse 3 then change it to keyboard" and then you see why you failed to counter boss attacks. If its just behind experience that is fine. It would be just stupid year later to find out that I have been missing most of my GB counters, because my key bind or my peripherals was limiting my reaction speed.

Tyrjo
06-15-2018, 07:10 AM
If you are new to the game maybe you don't know that, some specific hero moves which misses, a whiffed heavy attack, and dodges give you recovery frames. A heavy attack has attack startup vulnerability frames. Light attacks also, but only 100ms. These circumstances means you can't counter the GB.

What I think is happening for you is that you are caught by a GB in a dodge, and then you can't counter it.