PDA

View Full Version : Racing Pedals for Pacific Fighters

S.h.r.i.k.e.
03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I need a low cost alternative for rudder pedals for PF. I'm sick of using the rocker on my X-45.
Anyway I want to make sure that some regular cheap old racing pedals will work with PF without a whole lot of hassle. Will they work and is USB or Gameport better for PF?

Thanks

S.h.r.i.k.e.
03-18-2005, 11:36 PM
I need a low cost alternative for rudder pedals for PF. I'm sick of using the rocker on my X-45.
Anyway I want to make sure that some regular cheap old racing pedals will work with PF without a whole lot of hassle. Will they work and is USB or Gameport better for PF?

Thanks

heywooood
03-18-2005, 11:37 PM
enter LEXX Luthor....

Hiriyu
03-19-2005, 12:17 AM
Yes, racing pedals will work in either USB or gameport guise - but it's down to your actual hardware, OS and device drivers as to how well you'll be able to configure them for use as your rudder pedals.

On my Win2K box, I use an old set of gameport Thrustmaster racing pedals, along with a USB flightstick and various other gameport, PS/2 and USB devices for in-game flight/view controls, and all works without hitch once controller IDs and in-game config are set correctly. Many folks report that USB and gameport devices will not work concurrently, but that has most definitely not been my experience.

Good Luck!

LEXX_Luthor
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
exit heywooood....

I use 40$ Logitech Formula GP racing wheel/pedals. Found them at Circuit City (I think, one of those big stores). You don't need the 60$ force feedback wheel, as you only use the pedals.

Pedals plug into the Wheel with phone cord (supplied). The Wheel plugs into USB port. Keep the wheel upside down on the floor so it won't roll around. Long cords keep the wheel from getting in the way.

System comes with NO software or drivers -- no CD in package. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Just plug the wheel into USB port (Windows is running) and start FB/PF. Very Simple.

Use the FB Controls Menu (HOTAS section at bottom) to set Rudder control to the pedals.

Pedal movement is sufficient although they say not as deep as the 400$ Flight Sim pedals. Your feet are fairly close together, but you get used to it. It helps that I have medium~small feets. Yes the "racing" pedals look slightly different as they are made for Racing Sim, but both pedals work identically in a Flight Sim.

The only minor issue was the pedals displaced my joystick USB device number. It took a few minutes to figure out I had to change something in my FB/PF "conf" file to get joystick back. I can post my file later...see what you come up with first.

I had always used keyboard rudder or mapped rudder to joystick throttle, and I always had Extreme problems hitting air or ground targets. I plugged in my new pedals and as first gunnery test I easily kept my firing on a ground target. Pedals also radically change the takeoff and landing experience...for the better! These things work: Flight Sim rudder pedals for the working class.

Waldo.Pepper
03-19-2005, 12:35 AM
I built a set from scratch recently. I think I might have spent about $30.00

I used a couple gears, a pot from radio shack, a game port end (I think it was 15 cents from Rp electronics) a gameport to usb adapter, some scraps of wood and metal. They work perfectly, and are great. It was easy to build and fun even.

My wife thought I was a nut case till I showed her some pictures of cockpits people had built.

ARM505
03-19-2005, 12:45 AM
Maybe you guys can help, since NOBODY else has even come close! I have a Logitech MOMO racing force, and a Saitek Cyborg Force Feedback joystick, both USB. Now, the problem is that when they're plugged in together, the wheel is always the first device. I can obviously change the axis assignments in PF etc, but THE FORCE FEEDBACK ALWAYS COMES THROUGH THE WHEEL!! Ugh! This happens in all sims, MS FS, PF, LOMAC etc. The joystick is all floppy without its centering force, and its a bit odd to see the wheel jiggle around as I fire my guns! What they hey do I do??

ARM505
03-19-2005, 12:46 AM
Need I even add that all I got from Logitech and Saitek are form reply letters?

S.h.r.i.k.e.
03-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Awesome! Thanks for the advice. I will definitely be going out to get a racing wheel/pedal set. Finally, my immersion into the game will be complete! TrackIR2, Throttle/Joystick (X-45), and rudder pedals!

LEXX_Luthor
03-19-2005, 01:09 AM
Post back if you have ANY problems or need help in maximizing rudder use.

For max feel, use socks or bare foot on the pedals. No boots. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

For max immersion, don't forget you can take screenshots of maps in the Full Mission Builder, and view and PRINT these maps (.tga file) from a paint/photo editing program.

Waldo.Pepper
03-19-2005, 02:26 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ARM505:
Maybe you guys can help, since NOBODY else has even come close! I have a Logitech MOMO racing force, and a Saitek Cyborg Force Feedback joystick, both USB. Now, the problem is that when they're plugged in together, the wheel is always the first device. I can obviously change the axis assignments in PF etc, but THE FORCE FEEDBACK ALWAYS COMES THROUGH THE WHEEL!! Ugh! This happens in all sims, MS FS, PF, LOMAC etc. The joystick is all floppy without its centering force, and its a bit odd to see the wheel jiggle around as I fire my guns! What they hey do I do?? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Try this utility it might work...

http://www.wingmanteam.com/files/Tools/JoyIDs/

JoyIDsInstall.exe

Art-J
03-19-2005, 02:37 AM
I've got an oldschool Trust FF Race Master II (USB) and it's pedals work fine, as a second controller, under W2K. But I also have a friend who was unable to force another, gameport type wheel, to work under XP. So as guys pointed out, the USB/gameport/OS/drivers have significant influence on the idea of using racing pedals with PF. You better try to borrow and check ones before You plan to purchase them.

han freak solo
03-19-2005, 09:38 AM
About these racing pedals....

Are you able to equalize the force between them? Because the brake (left) pedal is always stiffer than the gas (right) pedal. Is there a spring or something internally you can modify?

S.h.r.i.k.e.
03-19-2005, 04:59 PM
I just went out and bought a cheap USB racing wheel/pedal set. Anyway, I installed it and loaded up Pacific Fighters. I had to make a few changes to in "Controls" because my X-45 was changed to joystick ID 2.

Anyway, everything is working like a charm, except that when I assign the pedals to the "Rudder" under the HOTAS Control. Only the pedal I assign will work. The other is unfunctional. The left pedal is called the U
Slider Axis and the right pedal is the Y Slider Axis. The other funny thing is that when I start flying, the rudder default position is full left when not pressing the pedal at all. How can I set it up so that both pedals will work at the same time?

ARM505
03-19-2005, 05:35 PM
Thanks WP.

Shrike, it sounds like you have a two axis pedal set, ie the gas and brake are on individual axes. This is great for racing (can use gas and brake at the same time) but won't work for simming. Thats why the CH pedals have a little switch to change between dual axis and single axis. There's nothing you can do about it that I'm aware of short of rewiring the internals. The rudder is deflected when you release the pedal because technically, that axis is at the limit of its calibrated travel, ie 'hard over'. You would have to press it to the halfway point to get the rudder central. I have done it before, when test flying sims with my wheel still plugged in, just for fun - its amazing what your fine motor skills can adapt to!

LEXX_Luthor
03-19-2005, 05:51 PM
I got Logitech Formula GP, non~force feedback. Both pedals work fine (that's 20$/pedal http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif). If you must, return what you got and try the Log.

S.h.r.i.k.e.
03-19-2005, 09:10 PM
It's a shame my Saitek ones wouldn't work. Got them for $19.99. Anyway, I will definitely go for the Logitech Formula GP (non-force feedback). $40 Logitech are still quite a bit better than $90 CH pedals for a poor guy like myself. Thanks for the tip on the Formula GP's Mr. Luthor.