PDA

View Full Version : Guardbreak through light attack

ChampionRuby50g
06-06-2018, 08:12 AM
Can someone explain to me why this is a thing? I can understand why itís possible to GB out of a heavy attack due to feinting and all that, (it still feels like you get punished for playing offensively) but why is it possible to get GB out of a light attack? It happens to me on a consistent basis, with 500ms attacks on my LB and Warden, but I can never seem to land it myself. When It happens to me it just feels cheap and I get punished for attacking when the opponent just happened to press GB. It seems more random than skill-based too, so I just donít get why itís a thing.

Tyrjo
06-06-2018, 08:33 AM
I agree. I have been pointing this out for a while. Even created a topic on it a while back, no real response.

Jazz117Volkov
06-06-2018, 08:56 AM
If I recall, light attacks have a 100 ms vulnerability window on start-up, if a guardbreak lands inside that window, you get shafted. It's not humanly possible to do this deliberately, so, as lame as it sounds, it's just bad luck, which is why it feels random. It is random.

Most actions in the game have a 100 ms "warm up". I've found it particularly annoying when trying to counter strike light attacks with my Warden if I have to guard switch. I'll often get snagged by the light during the CCS start-up; if I'd used a regular parry, it would be fine, since that's instant, but CCS has to be nerfed because fcuk my special parry move :'(

ChampionRuby50g
06-06-2018, 10:31 AM
For some reason I was under the impression it was 200ms, but maybe thatís what heavy vulnerability is and hence why I was mixed up.

That is so, so stupid that in a skill based fighter they have this mechanic. Why should players get punished on a random basis because of pure bad luck? If Ubisoft really want this to be a competitive game, why is there something that completely negates a players skill and punish them? It reinforces the defence meta almost, because now I have to think twice about the light attacks I throw out because thereís an off chance that I will be GB through them at random.

I didnít realise what was affecting my CCS as Warden until you mentioned that Jazz. So many times Iíve thought Iíve landed It but it just didnít work. Must be that delay thatís effecting me.

Vakris_One
06-06-2018, 10:58 AM
Yeah I find it annoying as well, just the whole random bad luck nature of it. If you think Warden has it bad you should see Aramusha. I've been GBed randomly out of his lights and even on the startup of his zone just because my opponent was silly enough to throw out a random GB at around the same time I chose to attack.

Jazz117Volkov
06-06-2018, 03:51 PM
For some reason I was under the impression it was 200ms, but maybe that’s what heavy vulnerability is and hence why I was mixed up.I had a feeling most heavies were more than that...it's like 300 or 400 in some extreme cases, like Raider Fury, but I may be mistaken.

I didn’t realise what was affecting my CCS as Warden until you mentioned that Jazz. So many times I’ve thought I’ve landed It but it just didn’t work. Must be that delay that’s effecting me.Yeah, crushing counter strike has painfully precise timing, you're likely to only get it against someone who either makes a mistake or doesn't know what they're doing. It's very frustrating to be denied access to one of my hero's core abilities for senseless timing nonsense. I should be able to use it in every situation that a regular parry works.

It's tough to not feel sabotaged by maining Warden; I think all but one adjustment made to the kit since launch has been a nerf, granted, many of them were needed, but it still feels sh!t. Light attacks reign supreme in the new For Honor and my core defensive ability only works against them consistently if my opponent is an idiot. And charged shoulder bash remains one of the most useless moves in the game.

But that's my rant.

BTTrinity
06-06-2018, 03:59 PM
It happens to me quite often lately, it irritates me so effin bad

ChampionRuby50g
06-07-2018, 10:47 AM
I had a feeling most heavies were more than that...it's like 300 or 400 in some extreme cases, like Raider Fury, but I may be mistaken.

Yeah, crushing counter strike has painfully precise timing, you're likely to only get it against someone who either makes a mistake or doesn't know what they're doing. It's very frustrating to be denied access to one of my hero's core abilities for senseless timing nonsense. I should be able to use it in every situation that a regular parry works.

It's tough to not feel sabotaged by maining Warden; I think all but one adjustment made to the kit since launch has been a nerf, granted, many of them were needed, but it still feels sh!t. Light attacks reign supreme in the new For Honor and my core defensive ability only works against them consistently if my opponent is an idiot. And charged shoulder bash remains one of the most useless moves in the game.

But that's my rant.

So it could be ranging anywhere from 200-400... thatís a pretty decent amount of time considering that light attacks are 400ms. Gives a player a lot of time to react with a GB.

With CCS, I understand why itís timing is so harsh because itís a lot of damage as it almost always would lead into a SB -> double light combo so to have it as the same timing as parry may be a bit much IMO, but considering it only comes from top could balance that out. Maybe relax the timing a small amount because of the Guard switch delay? The other day I did land 2 CCS against another Wardens top light, the first was pure luck but actually landing the 2nd on a reaction felt amazing. But it still feels really inconsistent, and that a lot of that has to do with chance.

Iíve got Warden at rep 18 and want to play her a lot more now I finally got my LB to 50, but yeah it always feels like a uphill battle nowadays. I really wonder which Knight hero out of LB and Warden will receive a balance pass/rework next, as they are both pretty deserving of it at this stage. LB just waiting for the block shove, relying on his bombs (feat issue not character issue, but without them his slot as a strong dominion force would drop drastically) and the impale. Warden having the shortest novelist in the game speaks for itself, with everything fairly easy to react to and counter/punish. I canít remember the last time I used a fully charged SB because itís just a free GB for the enemy 99.99% of the time.

But back to the topic. I really would like some clarification if possible for why the Gb through light startup exists. Surely there has to be a reasoning behind it, or is it a mistake that the devs have it in the game.

Knight_Raime
06-07-2018, 05:25 PM
Every attack in the game can be gbed in the start up. Point of this is so mix ups can be viable. if this wasn't a thing people would just spam those attacks.
Lights have a 100ms window of vulnerability. heavies depends on the speed. If it's under 600ms I think it's like 300ms? Not remembering. I just know the window is small but not as small as a lights. Attacks that are 700ms or higher can be GBed in start up on reaction. But anything faster than that and it was likely an accident and not intentional.