PDA

View Full Version : Question about being spoted

Silverwolfsub
06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Last night I was playing career mode and found a merchant ship along my patrol route. It spotted me well before I could slow down and dive (allowing me to set up for a decent torp shot).
Now that ship zigged left then right....avoiding any chance of a torpedo hitting (and they didnt cause I tried). Every time I tried to manuver to intercept for a good shot it would do the same thing. Ruining any chance I got.
I finally managed to destroy the ship by speeding ahead of it and fireing a aft torpedo. It was all a bunch of luck Im sure.
So my question (please hold your applause) is whats the best way to handle a situation like that? Instead of just chaseing the ship for 30 mins.
Oh, and I know not getting spotted is one of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Silver

Silverwolfsub
06-11-2006, 07:12 PM
Last night I was playing career mode and found a merchant ship along my patrol route. It spotted me well before I could slow down and dive (allowing me to set up for a decent torp shot).
Now that ship zigged left then right....avoiding any chance of a torpedo hitting (and they didnt cause I tried). Every time I tried to manuver to intercept for a good shot it would do the same thing. Ruining any chance I got.
I finally managed to destroy the ship by speeding ahead of it and fireing a aft torpedo. It was all a bunch of luck Im sure.
So my question (please hold your applause) is whats the best way to handle a situation like that? Instead of just chaseing the ship for 30 mins.
Oh, and I know not getting spotted is one of them http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Silver

lecek
06-11-2006, 10:09 PM
Are you manual targeting?

Best is to either set up to shoot as if he was traveling his previous course, and then shoot after of where you intend to hit. (With manual targeting you can just set the speed down a half knot for each speed rating it has. Example -0.5 for slow, -1 for medium, -1.5 for fast.)

If the target is zigging away from your close on his position. Try to be 400 - 500 meters away. If the target is zagging towards you back up for the same range.

The other option is to turn tails out of visual range and then run an hour ahead of the ship by his speed. (13kms for slow, 17 for medium.) Wait for him. 1 hour after he last spotted you he will stop zig zagging and you can nail him properly. Works best if you are an hour an a half ahead.

Silverwolfsub
06-11-2006, 10:33 PM
Im not manual targeting. Not quite good enough for that yet lol. I didnt realise they would stop zig zagging after a set time. Thanks for the reply. =)

Kaleun1961
06-12-2006, 08:24 AM
Another tactic is to fire your torpedoes as the target ship is just completing its turn to one side and is about to begin turning to the other side. At this point [midway between the zig and the zag] it will be on a relatively straight course. If you really want to be certain of a hit, you could set a torpedo to run under the keel and set to detonate by magnetic pistol. This way, even if your torpedo is off slightly, your chances of a hit are increased.

Silverwolfsub
06-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Ill have to try that as well Kaleun. Now correct me if Im wrong here. But I have been setting my torps to "impact". The way you describe the "magnetic" setting is when they detect anything metal they explode?
Also Ive had problems with torps hitting but bouncing off and exploding when they hit the ocean floor.....very annoying and blowing any chance of a surprise attack. =)

Thanks for the replys everyone, there really helping.

edit: also, what depth is considered under keel depth? 6 meters?

Silver

TheRealWulfmann
06-12-2006, 12:34 PM
It is certainly easier to dive in the path before being sighted but remember it was zigzagging that got the Lusitania sunk.
When you can't do something like this case try and experiment as a lesson for future use.
Time the zig zags. because it is a lone merchant it can not hear you so you can go to flank speed.
Once you know how long it takes to amke its complete ZZ attempt to position your self. Guessed wrong? If you noted what you did you learned for the next time.
Do not make wild shots and make sure your fish impact flat against the ship hull. Think of launching a fish like throwing a ball with the wind. If it leaves at a 30 degree angle after it curves and straightens out what course with respect to the side of the ship, will the torpedo make. Since I have to do this manually and usually do it can be done less than 100%. But, less than 100% sometimes gives you the chance to hit the ship but not at a flat angle and I suspect you may have hit the ship a few times.
Wulfmann

pcisbest
06-12-2006, 12:38 PM
Well what period of the war are you currently in? This will have a lot to do with torpedoe reliability, especially with something like Real Uboat installed.

Eels can bounce off for a couple of reasons; either they have a bad pistol, or the impact angle was too great. Try to hit as close to perpendicular on the hull plate as possible. If you are using magnetic pistols in early war, remember that they will be even more unreliable then usual.

As for "under keel" depth, 6 meters is a little too far. 1.5-2 is considered the norm. But keep in mind the sea state. If the seas are very rough, the keel of the ship may sink past where you would expect it to be at normal waterline.

Safest bet is to just look at the draught in the recognition manual, then add 1 meter to this number, then set your magnetic pistol for this depth.

Good hunting!

Silverwolfsub
06-12-2006, 02:58 PM
Right now Im at year 1940 and about half way thru that if I remember correctly. I have had a few hit and bounce off.

Ive been using the preset depth of 5 meters, occasionally switching to 4 meters.

Useing the recognition manual has not been easy the one time I tried to use it. I could not find the ship I wanted. Any ideas on how to find the ship you are looking at?

One more bit of info....I am playing on the easiest setting right now. I want to understand what I am doing before I head for greater realism.

Silver

Littlecharlie
06-12-2006, 03:16 PM
when i first started playing this game about six months ago i had the same difficulties and i bet most of us had the same experience if not all. the sign that you got a great game when you got a high learning curve and this game certainly got it ,and after a few more patrols you probably start raising the difficulty level and enjoy it even more ....have fun

KaleunFreddie
06-12-2006, 06:32 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Ive been using the preset depth of 5 meters, occasionally switching to 4 meters. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
No No No.. Always set 'IMPACT @ 2M' full stop.
Fire 2 torps at a ship with 0.5 degs spread. On a smooth sea, only go to magnetic if you're at latitudes below 60 or so (not sure here, but you have to find out)..
http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif

Kaleun1961
06-12-2006, 07:44 PM
There are two reasons why torpedoes bounce off of the hull. The first is if it strikes the hull at an angle to the vertical plane of the hull. It's easy to visualize this if you can imagine yourself throwing a tennis ball straight at a wall in front of you. If you throw it perfectly straight it will bounce straight back at you. If you throw the ball at an angle to the wall, it will deflect. With your torpedoes, you want to make them hit as close to 90 degrees as possible in order to minimize having them deflect. The German torpedoes had impact triggers that sat on the nose of the torpedo. They were designed to set off the warhead when it struck the hull, but it didn't always work so well when it hit at an angle.

The second reason torpedoes deflect is if you hit the lower hull, down toward the keel. That part of the hull is rounded and greatly increases the possibility of a torpedo bouncing off of the hull. To reduce the chance of this happening, set the running depth deeper than the draft [draught?] of the ship. For magnetic shots, you want to make sure the torpedo actually goes under the keel. As others have already noted, this can be affected by heavy seas.

Personally, I only use magnetic shots when the seas are relatively calm or I am forced to attack from less than ideal angles, or, if I need to hit a ship in the middle of the convoy column which has a deeper draft than the outer ships. That way, I can fire the torpedo so it sails under the outer columns and hopefully hits the target without being set off by an unintended victim.

Silverwolfsub
06-12-2006, 07:50 PM
Wow, even more great advice. I just started a new mission. Had destroyed 2 war ships on my way but they must have called in for reinforcements. I couldnt escape and ended up in a watery grave. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/sadeyes.gif

So, I deleted that profile and made a new one to start all over again. I took pride in sinking those two ships. The first really gave me a run for my money and I was about to give it up when I attacked again and hit twice, sinking him.

There is hope for me yet. Once I learn to use the recognition book I think Ill do better as well. Thanks again for all the great advice.

Silver

Sgt_Hatcher
06-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Great advice so far, but also keep in mind that torpedoes have a minimum range of about 300-350 meters. Fish that impact before this range will bounce off and continue on.

hueywolf123
06-15-2006, 06:38 PM
If you've been seen anyway, and it is a merchant, get thy self to the surface and belt stink out of him with the deck gun

KaleunFreddie
06-15-2006, 07:19 PM
Deck-Gun crew on deck... Maybe http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_cool.gif