PDA

View Full Version : So, I will quit this game for a while.

OrderOfLGBT
05-30-2018, 07:53 PM
Im about to leave this game for at least a while, Im only making this post in hope either Devs will read it or at least some people will share these concerns and to let some of my frustration go.

I always liked For Honor, the idea, the core gameplay and I've played actively until/including Season 3. I skipped Season 4 and second half of Season 5.
I came back for the new season and decided to at least grind this new awesome looking gear (which was completely impossible, even by spending 10.000+ steel on scavenger crates), but there are two things, nope actually three, that made me just Alt + F4 the game on a regular basis.

1. The new mode, imo, is actually pretty awesome. Would be my favorite mode if it wouldnt take 10min+ to find a match, which is probably more of a MM bug than a lack of players. But still, annoying I can't play something I actually enjoy.

2. The insane light spam every class does now. Having some characters who are based on this is fine, but this seems to be the modus operandi by now. And I admit:
I don't have the reflexes for that. But the thing is... Im not even a casual player. Maybe Im not a For Honor expert, but I usually have good reflexes and Im good at other games which require fast reflexes. I convinced four people in playing this game and three of them quit saying "this is just too fast, I cant react to this!" and that was even before the Orochi and Peacekeeper rework.

I know, there are people who can parry almost every light attack, and if youre one of them - good for you! But this concept is just not good for attracting a wide player base, which a game simply needs to do if you want it to sustain. As we speak of the player base and player skill...

3. This is my main reason: the matchmaking is utterly garbage. I haven't really played for months yet and everytime Im getting matched with people 100+ or even 200+ while Im just 90 myself. And aside from the prestige, I admit, all those players are much better than I am. And thats fine, but how can I get matched like this every single time?

When I havent played in months and I choose to play the warden (Prestige 4), just for fun to get back into the game Im getting matched with a Lawbringer 50, an Orochi 44, a Peacekeeper 32 and a Conquerer 24.

Sorry, but unless this horrendous matchmaking has been fixed in terms of level and actual player skill there is just no joy in this for me anymore. And Im not the only one I know, just the last one who stood with the game.

I really hope to see some things change in the future,

see you guys :)

CandleInTheDark
05-30-2018, 08:03 PM
In terms of the matchmaking the devs said last thursday that it is pretty much their number one priority and they are trying a few things. They do acknowledge it is an issue, apparently that and balance are their two main sources of complaint.

I hope that if and when you peek in to have another look it is somewhat better.

bannex19
05-30-2018, 09:33 PM
Sad to see you go.

This really highlights one of the questions I had about the game. Is it better to construct and balance a game around the ability of pros or average gamers. While most people claimed they pros are the standard, I find I'm I'm the same boat as the OP.

I play the heck out of the game but there are things I just can't react to. I practice, I pvp but at the end of the day I end up on pve because even though I love the game I hate feeling like I'm either not playing the right hero, I can't react or somehow there are dudes that can literally predict my every move.

I'm not calling hacks but man sometimes it really feels like it.

HazelrahFirefly
05-31-2018, 12:41 AM
I'm with ya TC. After tonight I am done until new content drops, even if that's S6. I can't take the deathball any longer. It's boring beyond measure. FH has become one of the most boring games I've ever played.

Loi2e
05-31-2018, 01:30 AM
Im with you. I keep trying to play but just really cant stand it anymore. These devs dont know what theyre doing. This game has become so stupid its not even funny. Like Ive said before, I always thought this game was more about finding a character that relates to your skill set and gameplay but now I just feel I need to be a robot and learn every little detail to stand a chance, while the devs just ruin my personal play style and the characters I have become used to. They really are nothing but a bad joke. This game blows.

Hammelsneid
05-31-2018, 12:40 PM
Is it better to construct and balance a game around the ability of pros or average gamers. While most people claimed they pros are the standard, I find I'm I'm the same boat as the OP.

This exact same question I asked myself everytime, the devs said on stream or a video (like the one yesteray came out) that they work closely with the so called "top players". In my imagination, this is just a small percentage of players, I can't tell if that's the case or not.

But let's assume, that we are talking about 3-5% of the playerbase, who are actually capable of playing like those, Ubi works with. If the game and the heroes are rated, balanced and tuned after the abilities of players, which lets say 70-80% of the actual playerbase will never be able to develop, because of human nature, then there will be always a massive amount of players getting frustrated after reaching their peak of skill and facing those "best players". But should For Honor only be a long-term game for the best players and those non-best players, who got a very high pain threshold?

Fact is, that there are natural borders for every single player, when it comes to the mximum skill (reaction time, full-time or casual-player, eye-hand-coordination, even hardware can make a difference). At first sight it seems to be wrong, to shape this game only for the creme de la creme. But that's something, we can see in many other games, too. Just look at World of Warcraft and the top progress guilds, who kind of dictate the speed of new content and development, even if the non professional WoW players still stuck at the add-on content released two years ago and now need to skip it, because it makes no sense to play the old stuff anymore. Different scenario but same reasons.

Now I see some problems here:

First is, that the majority of the playerbase including newcomers get frustrated like hell, shaping a negative opinion about this game and finally leaving the game behind. That's the worst thing.

Second thing, that happens is, even if somebody could be capable to develop those pro skills, it takes time to do so, but it's very likely, that some of them get sucked in the whirlpool of players from my first point.

Third thing, that might happen is, that the continous breaking away of players by the first two points could lead to a state, where the veterans aka old best players and the ones who actually did it to reach that state, get bored because they're pretty alone there on the Mount Top-Players. This could result in getting bored and finally leaving the game as well.

In my opinion Ubisoft should not brag with the fact, that they are building the game around the top players, because that's something, that may sound pretty good at first sight, but on second sight it's not optimal. I definitely think, that Ubi should include players of lower skill capabilities, too, in their developement process, because, let's be honest, thats the majority of players and we all need them to keep the game alive on the long run.

They need to find a way, that satisfies both partys, they need to make trade-offs, every party can live with. Because if 100% of the playerbase is only 80-90% happy, it's better than only 5% of the players are 100% happy and 95% aren't happy at all or not enough happy, to continue playing the game.

Just my two cents,
as always kindest regards,
Hammelsneid

Alustar.
05-31-2018, 01:00 PM
There is a lot to be said about balancing, Hammelsneid covered most of it. I think part of the problem is that Ubisoft has/had this desire to make for honor a competitive esports title. which in my opinion, esports are what's degrading the culture of enjoying games as activities you do for fun and enjoyment. A good example is Smash Bros, Nintendo has openly stayed many times they don't optimize for competitive play. However, that title is featured in many tournaments the world over. I think of the devs focused more on meaningful balance changes that promote quality of life, they would strike a better chord that could actually propel them into that arena sooner that optimizing a game for the select few top tier players and hoping that hype could carry the title in that direction.
Over all they need to come to a consensus of views as to what is going to constitute high level play. And that's not something the players should determine, that should be determined by the game and it's internal mechanics.

SpaceJim12
05-31-2018, 02:07 PM
The insane light spam every class does now. Having some characters who are based on this is fine, but this seems to be the modus operandi by now. And I admit:
I don't have the reflexes for that. But the thing is... Im not even a casual player. Maybe Im not a For Honor expert, but I usually have good reflexes and Im good at other games which require fast reflexes. I convinced four people in playing this game and three of them quit saying "this is just too fast, I cant react to this!" and that was even before the Orochi and Peacekeeper rework.

It's mostly depend on latency. 400ms attacks ar not 400 actual. So you could block/parry/deflect god on the arena, and loose every single fight in the game.
I don't have enough time to train and practice, so I just play PvP, and if I need to learn new char I do itin field. The thing that save me, it's cause I play from the beginning. And I don't have any idea how new average deal with it.
I can't say I play bad, I can't say I play good or perfect. I'm ok with my skill. Have my best moments and worst. While I really think the core mechanic are are too complecated, too stupid and become more and more complecated with new heros, new mechanics etc. I still like For Honor, Cause of animation, visual all this.
So I decided for myself, that I can't be good enough for this game. I just try new chars and try my best in fights.
Still, I thing devs should do this game less complecated. Let the mass players enjoy it, game worth it.