PDA

View Full Version : How big a Succes was SHIII ?

Delfin1941
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
How big a Succes was SHIII , and will there be an Add-On ??

When is the add-on comming, and what will be included in it?

When will we have 'Wolfpacks' ?

Delfin1941
08-03-2005, 03:40 PM
How big a Succes was SHIII , and will there be an Add-On ??

When will we have 'Wolfpacks' ?

AVGWarhawk
08-03-2005, 05:50 PM
Only time will tell.

bogusheadbox
08-04-2005, 03:02 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Delfin1941:
How big a Succes was SHIII

NOt as big as it should have been. Two main reasons. Starforce and lack of promised content and loadsa bugs.

and will there be an Add-On ??

All the add ons are available from the community who are doing ubi's job

Dunno, still waiting for ubi to fix their fcuck ups first

When will we have 'Wolfpacks'

Most likely when then moon orbits saturn or when SH4 is released unfinished full of bugs. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

jpr21b
08-04-2005, 10:23 AM
SH3 was an enormous success, considering how unpopular simulations are nowadays.

It also got rave reviews from just about everywhere.

Was it a financial success? I think so. It wasn't half life 2 or anything, but it did sell alot because im pretty sure just about all the hardcore simmers bought this game.

EFileTahi-A
08-04-2005, 10:38 AM
SH3 is a success, I can tell you that. No other subsim simulator reached 1,019 ratings at http://www.gamespot.com...
SH3 became truly popular...

JaguarMEX
08-04-2005, 12:32 PM
well we still dont have any sales figures apart from the 26k units in the US. I think it did pretty well in Europe though. Mine is the digital download version so I don't know how they keep track of those too.

viciii3
08-05-2005, 08:49 AM
I totally agree with bogusheadbox...

This sim was a "success" because we all ran out and bought it...and now we are stuck with it. If software was returnable, for a refund, it would not have been a "success" at all, but rather, the most most reviled subsim in history.

I've had "Command: Aces of the deep", "Jane's 688(i)", "SH2" and "Sub Command". All of them, COMBINED, did not have the bugs, problems, glitches...whatever you want to call them...that I have seen in only 5 partial days of trying to use SH3. None of this would be a worry if answers where forthcoming or the hope of fixes was on the horizon. None of that seems obvious, at this point. UBI has already "moved on" apparently...they got what they wanted...our money. We got the shaft...the one with the "screw" on the end of it.

I don't foresee sim dev's changing their ways, in the future...but I sure will. I won't be rushing out to buy the latest software anymore...I'll wait and see what transpires in the forums, like this one, for months before I run out and throw $40 away! If I had waited and read this, and other forums, before buying SH3 I'd still have $40 for a real good Flightsim add-on and some beer! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/cry.gif

Budokan
08-05-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm curious what the sales figures for SH3 are compared to AOD, which was considered a successful sub sim. (Er, wasn't it?)

jpr21b
08-05-2005, 12:05 PM
remember, when Aces of the Deep came out, there were maybe only a select few families who owned computers that could run PC games like that.

Also, it cost a fraction of $$ to produce a game back then compared to the $$ it takes to produce a game now.

Now, an interesting comparison could be this though!

Sales of AOD (/ divided by) total of home computer owners (1990's era)

Sales of SH3 (/ divided by) total of home computer owners (2005)

I think you will see a radical difference of percentage of people who owned AOD compared to SH3. But those were different times, everyone then who owned a computer was nerdy and loved simulations, now we got everyone and their brother owning a computer, so its really hard to sell simulations at the same % rate.

Budokan
08-05-2005, 03:06 PM
Yeah, I think you're right....it's almost like comparing apples and oranges. My bad.

fizilbert
08-05-2005, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately I can't remember where I saw this information, but I remember reading an article about game successes. If memory serves me correctly, they said, on average, for a PC game to be considered a success, it has to sell 100,000 copies or more.

Unofficial word so far is that SH3 sold 26,000 copies in the US.

Wish I could remember where I saw that. I think it was an article about bargain bin games and why some good games get into the bargain bin.