PDA

View Full Version : Buy a computer now or wait for SOW:BOB

acenot
05-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Hello I am getting close to purchasing a new coputer. ATM I have only an old laptop, been offline for a while but I am a Flight sim aholic from a few years back.

I have played 1946 on my brothers computer and love it. One part of me wants to buy a computer now so I can get stuck into that like the rest of you. But the other part of me is aware of the new BOB coming out. So I am thinking on the other hand it might be best to wait for that game to come out.

The BOB era is one of the most interesting for me, but there are so many awsome theatres in 1946 as well, not to mention aircraft. I am sure there will not be that many aircraft in BOB but if the game is a step up from 1946 then it would be worth it. I am one of those freaks who like to sit for half an hour or so flying to the destination so quality is better the quantity for me.

Anyway thought I might throw this out there for any ideas you guys might have. I have been pondering this issue since first learning on BOB so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

acenot

acenot
05-31-2007, 04:10 AM
Hello I am getting close to purchasing a new coputer. ATM I have only an old laptop, been offline for a while but I am a Flight sim aholic from a few years back.

I have played 1946 on my brothers computer and love it. One part of me wants to buy a computer now so I can get stuck into that like the rest of you. But the other part of me is aware of the new BOB coming out. So I am thinking on the other hand it might be best to wait for that game to come out.

The BOB era is one of the most interesting for me, but there are so many awsome theatres in 1946 as well, not to mention aircraft. I am sure there will not be that many aircraft in BOB but if the game is a step up from 1946 then it would be worth it. I am one of those freaks who like to sit for half an hour or so flying to the destination so quality is better the quantity for me.

Anyway thought I might throw this out there for any ideas you guys might have. I have been pondering this issue since first learning on BOB so any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

acenot

JG52Uther
05-31-2007, 04:19 AM
Its a tough one this.If I needed one now,I would build one,a reasonable machine for not a lot of money.BoB will hopefully be out at the end of the year,so if you can hold off then do so,although we should have more of an idea of required system specs around August.

BBB_Hyperion
05-31-2007, 04:59 AM
Rumors tell when SoW:BoB comes out, it will ship be available as package with a Quantum Computer to play it on full Details. Add least until the addon arrives which reduces performance to half.

capt_frank
05-31-2007, 05:18 AM
I went ahead and bought a new computer just so I could enjoy the new sims (FSX and SHIV) now and still have plenty resources for BOB and KOS. 1946 runs like a scalded ape...

I use it only as a gaming machine so it's pretty fresh.

tagTaken2
05-31-2007, 06:32 AM
Unless you can't even get the Il-2 demo to run on the laptop, I'd wait. It may be a good six months... or eight... or even two weeks... before we see it. Even if you buy the moment the disc is in your hands, you won't be getting the best experience- that won't come until the game has been out for a year (based on past games).

In the meantime, look up some older stuff. MiG Alley, CFS2, original Il-2, EAW. There's a lot of fantastic sims out there for the underpowered user.

Scorpion.233
05-31-2007, 06:59 AM
There's no reason to wait with buying a new computer.

You can already get a system that'll be able to run BoB on high.

Swivet
05-31-2007, 12:11 PM
No need to wait..The game is going to be graphics heavy...Just get a dual core processor some fast ram and decent video card (SLI) if you prefer, or if you can afford it, Then you'd be all set...Then get a couple of sata drives if ya wanted....SOW:BOB, is going to be my reason for building another system...Once the bug reports, patches, complaints, praises, whines, etc. are done, then i will begin to build another "frankenstien rig" http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Until then i got enough "WW2 Action" from 1946 to last me a looongtime http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

crazyivan1970
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
If you dont have any computer now to play 1946, then get one. It will be a while before SOW comes out.

@Scorpion.233 you are too optimistic, i doubt there is a computer out there right now that can run BOB on highest settings. Anyways, Oleg promised to talk about system req`s in August, i`ll make sure he didnt forget http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

fordfan25
05-31-2007, 09:13 PM
yea i agree with that moderator fellow :P. try to plan ahead and get a PC that will be cheap enough to allow for another or up grades in about a year. life is to short to put off haveing a great time for so long a streatch. if we were talking a month or two or if you had a PC that allowed you to play at all id say wait but in your case .....

Doolittle81
05-31-2007, 10:12 PM
Because my old Puter went belly-up in one big disaster, two weeks ago I was forced to go ahead with my new Rig....I had been thinking of holding off another 3-6 months or so.

I went with the following, which is near cutting edge right now...but it is upgradeable to Quad-core, upgradeable to 8 GB RAM, upgradeable to two GTX8800 cards (in SLI Config). I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll be able to run SOW:BofB at max settings upon its release...with my rig as it currently exists, or with some of the upgrade options mentioned, if necessary.

ASUS P5N32-E SLI
Dual core E6700 Cpu
2GB OCZ PC2 8800 (1100Mhz) RAM
BFG 8800GTX Graphics card
Audigy2 ZS
4 Seagate 400GB hard drives in a 0+1 RAID array
Plextor PX-800A
Samsung SyncMaster 244T 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor with 1920X1200 native resolution
Windows VISTA 32bit

acenot
06-01-2007, 05:04 AM
Guys, thanks for the replies, I found them to all raise good points. I think I will put off at this stage and at least wait till August when we hear a bit more. I am very excited to learn that BOB will be the beggining of a series! Purchasing a computer will be a big expense for our family so I will try and get the most bob value out of it I can.

Is there any info re aircraft etc that will be available in the game??

Also what internet speed is the minimum for a good online experience?

Cheers

acenot
06-01-2007, 05:58 AM
Disregard last two q's. Found answers

http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

TgD Thunderbolt56
06-01-2007, 06:19 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by capt_frank:
I went ahead and bought a new computer just so I could enjoy the new sims (FSX and SHIV) now and still have plenty resources for BOB and KOS. 1946 runs like a scalded ape...

I use it only as a gaming machine so it's pretty fresh. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did the exact same thing...and right now, I think I made a good decision. All my current apps run crazy-fast and by the time BoB is released (or KoTS too for that matter) I'll be prepared to acquire a new VC and that should do it. My current VC is a 7950GX2 (single-slot sli card) and it renders beautifully, but I'll want a bit more horsepower for the next-gen games.

TB

MadBadVlad
06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
I'm holding off until BoB is out for a new PC. By then anything cutting edge will be able to run FSX flat out too so for me it will be like getting two new sims in the same month http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

papotex
06-01-2007, 07:02 PM
i have a relatively old computer.
with AGP graphics. ATI 850xt
and pentium4 3.4 extreme edition with 2 gigs ram

right now i can play lomac maxed, landscape covered with trees and lots of buildings and smooth frame rates.

maybe i can upgrade the video card to a faster AGP with 512 megs of video.(should be dirt cheap by then) and a new Xfi sound blaster

and i will be stuned if i cant run bob with good detail for simple solo missions and multiplayer. at least for a year after BoB is released. by then BoB would had been all patched up too.

right now it runs everything i throw at it like a scalded ape too.

Deacon352nd
06-01-2007, 08:53 PM
I would imagine that any computer that runs 1946 decently will also run BOB the same way. If they are programing BOB now (and they should be pretty far along), they can't do it with technology that isn't invented yet. So the hardware is already out there and available. They have to be testing the code on something already, right?