PDA

View Full Version : Best game to start my adventure with Anno

Wojciech_Rodzik
05-13-2018, 10:19 AM
Hi,

I am looking for a best game to get into the series...
I am not biased against any setting, and I know that these games are complicated regardless of it (I will rely on tutorial and youtube for basics).

So any advice?

dmdilks
05-14-2018, 12:49 PM
You can start with the first one 1602. But Anno 1404 with the Mod Iaam 3.4. It gives you so much more then the base game 1404.

http://iaam1404.projectanno.de/index.htm

Info on how to install it. https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1464174-I-A-A-M-1404-Mod-Version-3-4?

GameMasterFox
09-14-2018, 08:07 PM
Now, as others said 1404 (which I believe is Dawn of Discovery in the US) is a good place to start but if you want a good place to start but also want a good challenge then have 2070 on your list.

Thorgias
09-18-2018, 08:10 AM
if you start with Anno 1404, do it with the addon Venice. it is better in my opinion then just the original. after you have played this game you can do the mod iaam 3.4 like dmdilks said.
If you start anno 1404 strait away with the mod you will miss soo much of the base game that is really good. you will explore and discover the base game and when you start to get bored and don't know any more what to do. this is the perfect time to start playing with the iaam mod. and you can start exploring and discovering again.

Branes1951
10-24-2018, 01:46 PM
Although the earlier versions are great, Anno 1404 makes building much easier than the earlier games. It took what made the first 3 great and expanded on it with a simpler interface. With the right click menu option and hot buttons for ships and towns, getting around is faster and easier. And it looks beautiful.
The only real advantage to the modern games like 2070 and 2205 is that you can put down a lot of houses at once, whereas in 1404 you have to place them one at a time.

No matter which game you decide to play, don't reinvent the wheel. Look up building layouts online for whatever game you're playing. Memorizing a few layouts, or keeping printouts handy will make doing production and city building much easier.
These games require a lot of patience and attention to detail. Although they are real-time, they aren't high speed, high intensity like fps's or rts's. The emphasis is on building and trading. Combat is very simplified and not considered an important part of the game, although in some cases it is necessary. In earlier games you had to create individual unit groups to make an army. In 1404, you just place a camp near where your enemy is and you troops automatically go to engage them .
You can, however, create a continuous game with no enemies and no disasters if you wish.

That is one of the beauties of the game. You can create whatever game style you like and even decide which map layout you want by using map seeds which can be found online.
I would highly advise playing through the tutorial scenarios first. To do this, you have to start the game without the Venice expansion.
Warning, like the Civilization series and other building games, Anno games can be very time consuming. More than once I've stayed up into the wee hours of the morning with the thought, "I'll got to bed as soon as my citizens grow to where I can make tools"...then patricians then.....et cetera.

One of the main issues you'll face starting the game is by the time you get to where you can make tools, your tax revenues will be low. One very good way to make steady money early on is to build 4 hemp plantations strictly for rope production, then sell it to Lord Northburgh by ship. Or you could do linen as well. Both are very profitable. Rope, however, isn't needed by your people so if you sell too much, it won't impact growth like linen would.
Also, starting another development early on will help with revenues, but remember, you have to provide their necessities, like fish and cider.
If you feel overwhelmed, there are very good Let's Plays on YouTube. Good luck.

Forgot to mention. Try to grow your Oriental settlement to where you get carpets as quickly possible. Then build some carpet production and sell it to either Northburgh or Al Zahir. Once you get a good carpet business going, money is never a problem again. And when you get pearls it starts rolling in.

dmdilks
10-25-2018, 08:56 PM
if you start with Anno 1404, do it with the addon Venice. it is better in my opinion then just the original. after you have played this game you can do the mod iaam 3.4 like dmdilks said.
If you start anno 1404 strait away with the mod you will miss soo much of the base game that is really good. you will explore and discover the base game and when you start to get bored and don't know anymore what to do. this is the perfect time to start playing with the iaam mod. and you can start exploring and discovering again.

Plus the 2nd one I would play is 1701. It is very close to 1404 / dawn of discovery. The campaign were really good. Plus make sure you get the addon too for 1701 The Sunken Dragon.