PDA

View Full Version : Anyway to pick the skins for the AI?

Jaggy.
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm assuming this can of course be changed in the IL2 editor. But is there any other possible way, like using the Stab mod? Oh and this is for custom missions/campaigns, not the DGEN.

Jaggy.
07-03-2008, 04:25 PM
Title pretty much says it all. I'm assuming this can of course be changed in the IL2 editor. But is there any other possible way, like using the Stab mod? Oh and this is for custom missions/campaigns, not the DGEN.

DKoor
07-03-2008, 05:37 PM
No easy way.
You can set Ai planes custom skins in your DGen folder by editing certain files (.db files), so your planes can boast winter skins on winter maps etc. (for instance Finnish Brewster Buffalo doesn't have winter skin, so by placing one in Paint Schemes folder and editing certain .db file I think Gulf of Finland or just Finland.db or something you can have all Buffalos wearing this winter skin, or perhaps every different unit to have different pain scheme!).

However to set specific skins for Ai in custom made campaigns you'd have to edit .mis file and pick plane by plane there by editing thru Notepad, or like you mentioned you can also do this thru IL-2 Editor.

WTE_Galway
07-03-2008, 07:28 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Panzer76:
Title pretty much says it all. I'm assuming this can of course be changed in the IL2 editor. But is there any other possible way, like using the Stab mod? Oh and this is for custom missions/campaigns, not the DGEN. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not the actual skins themselves but you can do something about the markings.

IL2MAT is a big install but absolutely essential for accurate realistic looking offline games, replacing the overly bright and shiny default aircraft markings with nice customisable weathered varieties that are historically more accurate.

http://aces_artwork.airwarfare.com/MATfiles.htm

Jaggy.
07-03-2008, 10:31 PM
Ok thanks for the info. Btw, I'm curious is it possible using the MissionMate mod? I know its only for single missions, no campaigns.

I tried that Mat manager too but it didn't seem to work for me. I must of done something wrong. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/compsmash.gif

Enforcer572005
07-06-2008, 01:42 AM
You can easily change the skins in AI planes in the FMB and QMB. It has an interface for picking them out of the planes folder. Of course, you must copy the skins to that plane's folder to do so.

Nothing to it actually. The interface is pretty easy.

And for those that are using mods, vpmedia has a skin mod that allows putting skins on static planes, though it involves changing the default for them.

RickRuski
07-06-2008, 02:11 AM
Hi Panzer76,

The answer is "YES". "Mission Mate" will do the job very well. You can do what you are inquiring about through the "Editing Section". You must select AI aircraft first then each flight has to be edited individually or else only the flight that is highlighted will change. Just make sure that the skins that you want, are in the skins folder relevant to the aircraft.

DuxCorvan
07-06-2008, 03:03 AM
That data is not hard-coded and can be edited without the need of any mod. Lowengrin's DCG allows to do it easily in its dynamic campaigns.

SeaFireLIV
07-06-2008, 09:57 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
That data is not hard-coded and can be edited without the need of any mod. Lowengrin's DCG allows to do it easily in its dynamic campaigns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. No need to mod what can be done through safe utilities. DCG is highly recommended.

mortoma
07-06-2008, 03:40 PM
Ahem, ahem!! Much misinformation in this thread. You can easily mod DGEN campaigns so that your squad and/or all the aircraft of a certain type sport a certain skin and never have to do it again after you make the edit. According to some in this thread, they seem to think you have to do it before each and every mission. This is not true. I used to do it all the time. Since I have not done it in a while I will have to go and do it again so I can refresh myself on the technique before I can instruct others on how to do it.

I'll post back in here again in a day or two and
teach you guys a few things. A lot of the misinformation is purposely promulgated by the pro-DCG/anti-Dgen crowd. They wish to make it appear as though you can do more with DCG and make few mods to Dgen. Anything but the truth.
Dgen allows so much modding it makes one's head spin.

Be back soon........................

mortoma
07-06-2008, 03:43 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by DuxCorvan:
That data is not hard-coded and can be edited without the need of any mod. Lowengrin's DCG allows to do it easily in its dynamic campaigns. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Agreed. No need to mod what can be done through safe utilities. DCG is highly recommended. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What, Dgen is unsafe? I have tried DCG numerous times and never liked it at all. And I remember once I clicked on the wrong button accidentally and ruined an entire campaign! You call that safe?? Plus DCG is hard to understand and very user-unfriendly. You never know what you're supposed to click on without messing something up. I was always scared to click on buttons with DCG. There's simply nothing self-explanatory or intuitive about it at all.

I don't recommend it because it can make dangerous changes to your IL2 install. DCG is bad news, period.

Bearcat99
07-06-2008, 04:14 PM
Cant you do that with MM & the UQMG as well?

DuxCorvan
07-06-2008, 05:07 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mortoma:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by SeaFireLIV:

Agreed. No need to mod what can be done through safe utilities. DCG is highly recommended. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>What, Dgen is unsafe? I have tried DCG numerous times and never liked it at all. And I remember once I clicked on the wrong button accidentally and ruined an entire campaign! You call that safe?? Plus DCG is hard to understand and very user-unfriendly. You never know what you're supposed to click on without messing something up. I was always scared to click on buttons with DCG. There's simply nothing self-explanatory or intuitive about it at all.

I don't recommend it because it can make dangerous changes to your IL2 install. DCG is bad news, period. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Mortoma, I don't have anything against DGEN, nor think SeaFire has, either. When talking "unsafe" he referred to some hack-mods which can alter severely the installation, not DGEN.

I like DGEN. The only reason I prefer DCG over it, it's because DGEN is a bit... er... boring, and allows less options (this is, without file editing).

SeaFireLIV
07-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Need I say anything? No. because Dux has said it all exactly right.

I`m not sure why mortoma has chosen to so misunderstand what we are saying.

Jaggy.
07-06-2008, 07:26 PM
Ok great, thanks for the info guys. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/clap.gif