PDA

View Full Version : New Hero - The Shaolin Monk

K1dR0b
05-01-2018, 08:16 AM
I posted this on the Feedback and Suggestions forum. I would like to see a new character created. The Shaolin Monk. The Shaolin Monks are in the world of ancient and even modern warriors a fighting force unto themselves. They have defied all the odds, lived and battled through the most extreme conditions, from natural disasters, to wars, to faction fighting, to revolutions to official government attempts to shut them down, and yet they persist. Trained from a very young age, they have demonstrated a physical prowess the world has never seen. To leave them out of a game such as this is tantamount to insult. They are, without a doubt, the world's most elite warriors even to this day. It is my understanding that they prefer not to kill their opponents if at all possible, rather to knock them out, which comes from their Buddhist philosophy, and as such, their main weapon of choice is the staff. This is not say that they have never intentionally killed their opponents. I would like to see Ubisoft create this class using a staff and give him multiple knockdown capabilities and crowd control abilities. A Shaolin Monk of the battlefield will certainly command the respect of any enemy, both in game - and out.

So, would you like to see the Shaolin Monk character created?

https://youtu.be/i9Ac3P52wco

Archo-Vax
05-01-2018, 12:42 PM
I posted this on the Feedback and Suggestions forum. I would like to see a new character created. The Shaolin Monk. The Shaolin Monks are in the world of ancient and even modern warriors a fighting force unto themselves. They have defied all the odds, lived and battled through the most extreme conditions, from natural disasters, to wars, to faction fighting, to revolutions to official government attempts to shut them down, and yet they persist. Trained from a very young age, they have demonstrated a physical prowess the world has never seen. To leave them out of a game such as this is tantamount to insult. They are, without a doubt, the world's most elite warriors even to this day. It is my understanding that they prefer not to kill their opponents if at all possible, rather to knock them out, which comes from their Buddhist philosophy, and as such, their main weapon of choice is the staff. This is not say that they have never intentionally killed their opponents. I would like to see Ubisoft create this class using a staff and give him multiple knockdown capabilities and crowd control abilities. A Shaolin Monk of the battlefield will certainly command the respect of any enemy, both in game - and out.

This is exactly what we don't need. Given how fast his attacks would be, he'd be irretrievably overpowered.

BTTrinity
05-01-2018, 12:54 PM
This is exactly what we don't need. Given how fast his attacks would be, he'd be irretrievably overpowered.

You're telling me you dont wanna deal with Samurai Centurion?

Ill have to agree lmao, as much as I love stuff like this... I feel like theres no way to balance this class out.

Ianoneshot
05-01-2018, 01:22 PM
By looking at a lore standpoint of this, this wouldn't make any sense. Japan didn't and wont have Chinese monks.

By looking at a gameplay standpoint this characters attacks would be pretty fast, probably faster than the average Shinobi which would probably be a sign of OP.

By looking at a sensible standpoint Monks were never really supposed to fight in huge battles. They dueled maybe. However they usually wrote papers and did religious stuff.

However I do not want to reprimand your idea making here. Just polish out a hero idea and then suggest it. I used to be not that good at making hero ideas either until i kept doing it and kept getting feedback to make a hero idea better and more balanced. You can do the same :) .

Roseguard_Cpt
05-01-2018, 01:35 PM
Before we go and start pulling the history card lets not forget that we have 2nd and 3rd Century Romans with 13th and 14th Century Arthurian Knights.
The concept of the character is interesting, but I don't think it could be balanced without breaking the game, seeing as a Monk character would be fast and in this case presumably punching people in platemail for the same damage as a Pole-Axe.

BTTrinity
05-01-2018, 02:37 PM
Before we go and start pulling the history card lets not forget that we have 2nd and 3rd Century Romans with 13th and 14th Century Arthurian Knights.
The concept of the character is interesting, but I don't think it could be balanced without breaking the game, seeing as a Monk character would be fast and in this case presumably punching people in platemail for the same damage as a Pole-Axe.

A class like this would need some SERIOUS thought before actually attempting to put it into the game, just trying to think about it makes my head hurt... For some reason, I imagine a Kung-Fu-Centurion (Lots of UB bashes/kicks) with Aramusha mixups lmao

Anyway balancing through means of logic/realism was a thing that stopped happening the moment shaman was released, biting through platemail for MORE damage than a pole axe >.>

Devils-_-legacy
05-01-2018, 04:26 PM
I would love a monk hero if he had a bo It would be my new main and it could work would be a bit similar to Valk have easy access to stuns and maybe cc sweep be a good addition to samurai
Also from a lore point of view it could work Sōhei are the japenese equivalent
And from a game balance pont imo there's no reason why it can't work. if shaman can bite through metal I could beat someone up with a stick lol

BTTrinity
05-01-2018, 06:10 PM
I would love a monk hero if he had a bo It would be my new main and it could work would be a bit similar to Valk have easy access to stuns and maybe cc sweep be a good addition to samurai
And from a game balance pont imo there's no reason why it can't work. if shaman can bite through metal I could beat someone up with a stick lol

This is the kind of Monk I would honestly look forward to seeing, a Bo staff Monk would be dope af

TatoRezo
05-01-2018, 06:18 PM
By looking at a lore standpoint of this, this wouldn't make any sense. Japan didn't and wont have Chinese monks.

By looking at a gameplay standpoint this characters attacks would be pretty fast, probably faster than the average Shinobi which would probably be a sign of OP.

By looking at a sensible standpoint Monks were never really supposed to fight in huge battles. They dueled maybe. However they usually wrote papers and did religious stuff.

However I do not want to reprimand your idea making here. Just polish out a hero idea and then suggest it. I used to be not that good at making hero ideas either until i kept doing it and kept getting feedback to make a hero idea better and more balanced. You can do the same :) .

Wow seriously?
1) Japan did have their own monks they looked something like this; it doesn't have to be a shaolin http://i41.tinypic.com/bhg2h.jpg Also Nor did European knights have had any centurions or gladiators fighting on the battlefield. Shamans were priests not cannibalistic berserker warriors. And ninjas lol, what the hell would they be doing on the battlefield. But it's a game, a not very realistic one so they can be.
2) Things like that get balanced in games. He could have same speed as shinobi or shaman.

Also we don't really need new heroes. We need reworks to the current roster so that 80% of them is in the same tier atleast.

Devils-_-legacy
05-01-2018, 06:37 PM
They look closer to kensie from there rl portraits then the game from above but it close specially the guy on the far right . the japenese Buddhist warrior monks were the sohi they didn't really use a bo I just said it as it's a personal favourite

Knight_Raime
05-01-2018, 07:03 PM
I don't think a "fist only" style hero would really work in for honor. It would sort of break the fantasy. Not to mention you'd need to explain why some hits are really fast or really slow. I wouldn't mind seeing a stave type hero. Or a glaive hero though. maybe even a spear/pike hero (valk doesn't count. she uses her shield as a weapon.

Devils-_-legacy
05-01-2018, 07:30 PM
I would be against a bare fist fighter just because the rest of the cast are armed it wouldnt really fit imo but I was hoping for a more offensive form of the nobushi with her nagata maybe a male monk with a guandao(if one could be called the green cresent blade would be a huge +) if they don't go for a bo based hero

UbiJurassic
05-01-2018, 07:52 PM

It's a cool sounding suggestion for sure and there have been a number of players before on the forums that have shown a large amount of interest in seeing a Shaolin Monk added into the game. I'll be sure to pass the suggestion along/ :)

K1dR0b
05-01-2018, 08:18 PM
Thank you UbiJurassic for passing this along ot the Devs. I mean, it really is a glaring hole in a game which features fantasy medieval fighters and not have a Shaolin Monk represented. The Knights of Europe are gone. The Vikings are extinct. The Samurai have perished. The Shaolin live on. It's like telling "the winners" you don't get a spot. It's like making a famous player basketball game and leaving out Michael Jordan. Or a famous Boxing game and leaving out Muhammad Ali. Golf - Tiger Woods. The Shaolin have proven themselves time and time again. They will persist. They will endure. If nothing more than respect, they should have a spot in this game. They don't need to be "overpowered". I would like to see them have more crowd control abilities. Multiple knockdown combos (combos which knockdown multiple opponents would be great crowd control, especially in matches other than 1v1. And their weapon - the Staff. Not the sword, not the spear, not the Halberd, or daggers. The Staff. Using their staff, they trip their opponents, drain their stamina, and do damage. I would also give them a "no execution" execution, that is, if you are knocked out by a Shaolin Monk, there is a penalty to the revive effort, a much slower revive. MUCH slower, say 30 seconds since they cannot "execute" someone. Just a thought. I think they should have a offense stance and a defensive stance like Highlander, and their moveset should be staff strikes, fist strikes, and kicks, each with varying degrees of stun. Their feats should be aimed primarily at buffing the group, one maybe only one personal feat that gives the Monk a special ability or something.

Anyway, if you put the Shaolin Monk in the game, it will totally revitalize the game for that one character alone in my opinion. You WILL attract new and old players alike to play the game.

High-Horse
05-01-2018, 09:22 PM
I don't see why not, except that I'd rather see the rest of the cast polished up before adding something new.

Fist weapons and a steel bo staff would fit just fine here. This isn't an historical simulator, it's an alternate reality melee fantasy, so the real question is not "is it realistic" but "is it balanced and fun for both sides".

From a lore standpoint, I don't see why there couldn't be some kind of secluded monastery that has until season X tried to stay neutral but has encountered some reason to join the fight.

Gameplay wise, it would be awesome to see another Highlander type playstyle that can switch between a bo staff and gauntlets, staff would be for defense like blocking and parrying while gauntlets would be for offensive kung fu combos.

Ianoneshot
05-01-2018, 09:47 PM
By a lore standpoint I didn't mean our Earth history but rather For Honor's history. I think they hinted that either the Chinese died out or on a completely new continent.

Ianoneshot
05-01-2018, 09:49 PM
Wow seriously?
1) Japan did have their own monks they looked something like this; it doesn't have to be a shaolin http://i41.tinypic.com/bhg2h.jpg Also Nor did European knights have had any centurions or gladiators fighting on the battlefield. Shamans were priests not cannibalistic berserker warriors. And ninjas lol, what the hell would they be doing on the battlefield. But it's a game, a not very realistic one so they can be.

I mean FOR HONOR's lore not OUR LORE today!

2) Things like that get balanced in games. He could have same speed as shinobi or shaman.

Ubisoft is not one to take into very thoughtful consideration on balancing. We have seen this again and again.

Devils-_-legacy
05-01-2018, 10:14 PM
I think they havnt given too much on there world lore they havnt given us a lot to go on by the story mode beyond some of the current dlc heros they have been quite vague.

Hormly
05-02-2018, 01:38 AM
I can picture him now with my knowledge of the devs logic...

Endless lightning fast chains, super fast mobility, and most importantly... EVERY, ATTACK, UNBLOCKABLE

Hell even him walking into you would be considered unblockable 😄 he would just be a ball of orange fire! since as we all know, you can block and parry large weapons, but never a foot, fist, or head

PDXGorechild
05-02-2018, 08:36 AM
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/blackadder/images/9/9f/Friar_Tuck.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120830201449

Here's the monk everybody really wants to see.