PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Weekend Warrior

HazelrahFirefly
04-30-2018, 05:55 PM
Thanks to a deathball series I experienced on Saturday night. When my friends are on the best thing to do is play Dominion. It's been deathballs for most of the season, I know, but the pain of it finally clicked.

It's not that it was unplayable. In fact, my team even won some of the matches, but my god it just isn't fun. Facing a swarm of players every battle is as boring as it gets. I don't want to do it anymore.

I'm going to log on to do the daily orders every day, but only really play on Saturday nights from now on. This stands until the deathball is fixed, because no other game is so boring right now. I have a decently sized backlog to get to anyway.

Card1acArrest
04-30-2018, 06:43 PM
I dont get it.

With 3 zones to capture and 2 to hold. How can you fail as 1 player if the ball is 3 or 4?

explain?

Vakris_One
04-30-2018, 06:50 PM
Thanks to a deathball series I experienced on Saturday night. When my friends are on the best thing to do is play Dominion. It's been deathballs for most of the season, I know, but the pain of it finally clicked.

It's not that it was unplayable. In fact, my team even won some of the matches, but my god it just isn't fun. Facing a swarm of players every battle is as boring as it gets. I don't want to do it anymore.

I'm going to log on to do the daily orders every day, but only really play on Saturday nights from now on. This stands until the deathball is fixed, because no other game is so boring right now. I have a decently sized backlog to get to anyway.
Give Tribute a try instead. Especially with friends it can be very fun and death balling isn't a problem at all there because whichever side chooses to roam as a gank squad opens themselves up to getting their flag(s) stolen.

I dont get it.

With 3 zones to capture and 2 to hold. How can you fail as 1 player if the ball is 3 or 4?

explain?
There are tactics to use against a death ball for sure but it's the fact that going around in a gank squad murdering everything in sight is just too rewarding for how simple a tactic it is to pull off. Dominion is basically Skirmish but with capture points and that's just not really what the mode should be like. There needs to be actual strategy and team play going on in this mode instead of either murder death balling or running away from a murder death balling. That's pretty boring.

Alustar.
04-30-2018, 06:56 PM
I dont get it.

explain?

Because the majority of the maps are not big enough to promote actual strategic map control. Yes, one clever assassin can run around and cap points behind the deathball, but their ability to roll through a group quickly and recapture any lost points negate the one person doing this. Combine that with groups that deathball exclusively focus on voting the smallest maps possible to accommodate this play style.
They need bigger maps for objective based modes with more creative objectives that enforce strategy to break this meta.

HazelrahFirefly
04-30-2018, 09:44 PM
I dont get it.

explain?

Didn't read the post?

Its not about failing. We can still get wins and kills, but it isn't fun. Knowing that every fight is a series of external blocks until revenge is boring after only one or two dominions.

As Alustar said, bigger maps with better objectives would cause variance in the kind of battles that would be undertaken - a team that deathballs the entire time would never win and would desist in their deathball activities.

HazelrahFirefly
05-01-2018, 05:19 PM
I think that Tribute is a great idea. I enjoy it, but two of my crew are not fans. I can see why as the mode does need some work, but still. The sheer amount of actual fights compared to deathball sounds like a great idea.

The big problem though: no one plays tribute. During the week you shouldn't even bother, but it will probably be fine on Saturday.