PDA

View Full Version : My EMPTY fuel tank on fire and exploding

KeenFox
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
The subject says it all, I crashlanded out of fuel.. and my plane caught fire?!? Being japanish I couldent eject.. so I waited about 30sec.. then BOOM! my plane explodes..

KeenFox
11-02-2004, 09:19 PM
The subject says it all, I crashlanded out of fuel.. and my plane caught fire?!? Being japanish I couldent eject.. so I waited about 30sec.. then BOOM! my plane explodes..

CdtWeasel
11-02-2004, 09:35 PM
well fuel vapor is far more flammable than liquid fuel, so that is about right. If something else caught fire and heated the tank it would explode like that.

KeenFox
11-02-2004, 09:47 PM
In denial arent we little weasel? Surly, even you must see the absurdity of this.

actionhank1786
11-02-2004, 10:17 PM
I dont really see how it matters either way.

Jester_159th
11-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Weasel's right On this one.

Guess someone owes Weasel an apology! http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/1072.gif

necrobaron
11-03-2004, 12:26 AM
I'm no expert, but I don't see anything absurd with fuel vapors igniting.

actionhank1786
11-03-2004, 12:38 AM
I've always hoped that we could light planes up by putting tracers into the fuel they leak while running away
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/784.gif

ELEM
11-03-2004, 01:43 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeenFox:
The subject says it all, I crashlanded out of fuel.. and my plane caught fire?!? Being japanish I couldent eject.. so I waited about 30sec.. then BOOM! my plane explodes.. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why can't you bail out because you're Japanese? Open canopy and hit Ctrl+E just like any other nationality!

Oh! and weasel is correct. The fuel vapour is what burns, not the fuel on it's own. Think what is happening when it goes through a carburettor or injector.

Tully__
11-03-2004, 03:40 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELEM:

Why can't you bail out because you're Japanese? Open canopy and hit Ctrl+E just like any other nationality! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some Japanese units left parachutes out to save weight. The full mission builder now has an option to disable bail out to simulate this practice. From comments here I understand a number of the available campaigns make use of this option.

Ruy Horta
11-03-2004, 03:47 AM
The option is there, but I haven't seen it in use yet.

But shouldn't the option be limited to no parachute, as in you can always jump, but if you don't have a parachute it means you'll reach the ground at terminal velocity?

In that case if your a/c is on the ground, you can still "bail".

OTOH, if in the above example the player had opted for "mission end" it would probably had left him alive.

ELEM
11-03-2004, 03:52 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ELEM:

Why can't you bail out because you're Japanese? Open canopy and hit Ctrl+E just like any other nationality! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Some Japanese units left parachutes out to save weight. The full mission builder now has an option to disable bail out to simulate this practice. From comments here I understand a number of the available campaigns make use of this option. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah! I didn't know about that option. But, the original poster said he had crash landed and could not eject. So does this option stop Ctrl +E working even on the ground? I don't think even the Japanese would sit in a burning a/c if he could get out.

Oilburner_TAW
11-03-2004, 03:59 AM
I've been testing this in a mission I'm building and it seems when you eliminate parachutes the pilot/crew cannot bail (ctrl+e does not work).

Ruy Horta
11-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Should qualify as a "bug" or at least a minor flaw.

ELEM
11-03-2004, 04:18 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Oilburner_TAW:
I've been testing this in a mission I'm building and it seems when you eliminate parachutes the pilot/crew cannot bail (ctrl+e does not work). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Crazy!!

Chuck_Older
11-03-2004, 06:34 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KeenFox:
In denial arent we little weasel? Surly, even you must see the absurdity of this. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Foxman-

Have you ever seen a puddle of gasoline on fire? I was quite the little pyro when I was a kid, so I have.

Do you know, that it is not the liquid gasoline that is burning, it is the vapor?

Let's take an average everday automobile with a standard four cylinder gasoline powered internal combustion engine as a very simple example.

The fuel is atomised as it is introduced into the combustion chamber. Why? Because the fuel/air mixture will explode, to put it in very basic terms. They don't just pour raw gas into the cylinders for a reason. The expansion from that explosion drives the piston down, again in very simple terms. It's very much like the example of the puddle of gas, except now we have a set volume and compression. If the fuel just burned, the crankshaft wouldn't turn because the pistons wouldn't be driven down. The gases (fuel/air mix) exploded.

You should take a look at the definitions of volatility and flashpoint. A full gas tank doesn't explode as often as an almost empty one.

You owe Weasel a bit of an apology

munnst
11-03-2004, 07:38 AM
Even when out of fuel your tanks will still hold a small quantity of petrol.
This petrol combined with the vapour in the now nearly empty tanks would ignite, burn and explode quite spectacularly.

Deckard71
11-03-2004, 08:06 AM
I used to work at an airfield and unfortunately there were a couple of crashes. One was a forced landing due to lack of fuel. The pilot panicked in the circuit, cut his crosswind leg and came in rather hot, touching down about halfway down the runway. He over-ran onto the neighbouring golf course and clipped a tree.

There was an impressive bang a big gout of flame and not much else... we were racing over in the fire truck so we'd get there in time to put anything out! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

I think that in game, an empty fuel tank should burn, but not for too long. It could even explode (iirc, this was what tragically brought down a 747 just after it took off in the US a few years ago?). But no, it shouldn't burn for a long time, maybe 2-3 minutes or so?

munnst
11-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Several years ago I had the misfortune to see a Kingcobra crash at an airshow in the UK.

The plane hit the ground at quite some speed vertically. There was a crump (not a bang), a hugh ball of flame and then not much else.

I guess the full tanks ruptured and most of the petrol ignited instantaneously. After that there was not much left to burn.

actionhank1786
11-03-2004, 08:48 AM
One time i had a cup of Gas, and i threw it in a fire...the flame travelled up the gas, and into the cup.
I dropped that cup fast
the end.

Owlsphone
11-03-2004, 08:59 AM
Weasel is right. Firefighters biggest fear for car fires is an empty gas tank, not a full one. The vapor is what causes explosions, not the liquid gasoline itself. Less gas in tank = more vapor

mortoma
11-03-2004, 10:50 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tully__:

Some Japanese units left parachutes out to save weight. The full mission builder now has an option to disable bail out to simulate this practice. From comments here I understand a number of the available campaigns make use of this option. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Nope!! If you play a Dgen campaign there's no option, you are forced into the no chute thing. The only way 'round it is to pre-edit the .mis files in notepad or open up the mission in FMB and de-select it. This is a pain but the only way to get out of it.

Philipscdrw
11-03-2004, 10:54 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by munnst:
Several years ago I had the misfortune to see a Kingcobra crash at an airshow in the UK.

The plane hit the ground at quite some speed vertically. There was a crump (not a bang), a hugh ball of flame and then not much else.

I guess the full tanks ruptured and most of the petrol ignited instantaneously. After that there was not much left to burn. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I was at that airshow. Was it Biggin Hill 2001?

I was waiting for the toilets at the other end of the runway at that time.