PDA

View Full Version : Having Torpedo problems, lots of them!

PBNA-Boosher
04-21-2005, 06:10 AM
November 21st, 1939, sector AN16, just east of Scapa Flow:

Heavy seas, 3 meter swells, no rain, foggy.

My boat, U-48, a type VIIB, completed its mission in AN41 four days ago. I decided I wanted to bring up morale before heading back to base, so entering the mouth to Scapa flow Harbor, I let myself be chased back to AN16 by a Canadian V&W destroyer. Now it is 7:34 AM, it's getting light outside, and I notice that 3 more destroyers (2 V&W's and a J-Class) are headed my way. IF any of you read my previous topic about my crazy tactics, you would know I am ecstatic about this news. The Destroyers seem to form a circle, doing one pass at a time at the place they think I am. And then it happens, the J Class Destroyer is about to pass directly behind my stern. A Mk. II torpedo is in my stern tube, and I fire it. I track its progress and make a turn to 070 degrees. I cheat a tiny bit and look at it on external view. I can tell it's going to hit, right at the waterline.... the excitement builds up. This would be my crew's first sinking, and we would have first sunk a destroyer...

50 meters... 20 meters... 10 meters... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, CLANG!
Even though the torpedo hit at a perfect 90 degree angle against the side of the ship, it bounced off. I had it set to percussion detonation. This makes the 6th torpedo that did that to me, both type I's and II's. All at perfect 90 degree angles, all just below the waterline at the flat part of the hull, all moving at good speed. In total it's the 9th torpedo I fired. This being my 2nd patrol, 2/3 of my torpedos have struck their targets, and of those, all of them have failed to detonate.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Now that I've savegamed, I would really like to know if it is or isn't normal, so I could continue my dance of death with these destroyers (and a Hawker Hurricane) or head back to Kiel for my next patrol?

PBNA-Boosher
04-21-2005, 06:10 AM
November 21st, 1939, sector AN16, just east of Scapa Flow:

Heavy seas, 3 meter swells, no rain, foggy.

My boat, U-48, a type VIIB, completed its mission in AN41 four days ago. I decided I wanted to bring up morale before heading back to base, so entering the mouth to Scapa flow Harbor, I let myself be chased back to AN16 by a Canadian V&W destroyer. Now it is 7:34 AM, it's getting light outside, and I notice that 3 more destroyers (2 V&W's and a J-Class) are headed my way. IF any of you read my previous topic about my crazy tactics, you would know I am ecstatic about this news. The Destroyers seem to form a circle, doing one pass at a time at the place they think I am. And then it happens, the J Class Destroyer is about to pass directly behind my stern. A Mk. II torpedo is in my stern tube, and I fire it. I track its progress and make a turn to 070 degrees. I cheat a tiny bit and look at it on external view. I can tell it's going to hit, right at the waterline.... the excitement builds up. This would be my crew's first sinking, and we would have first sunk a destroyer...

50 meters... 20 meters... 10 meters... 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, CLANG!
Even though the torpedo hit at a perfect 90 degree angle against the side of the ship, it bounced off. I had it set to percussion detonation. This makes the 6th torpedo that did that to me, both type I's and II's. All at perfect 90 degree angles, all just below the waterline at the flat part of the hull, all moving at good speed. In total it's the 9th torpedo I fired. This being my 2nd patrol, 2/3 of my torpedos have struck their targets, and of those, all of them have failed to detonate.

Is this normal, or am I doing something wrong? Now that I've savegamed, I would really like to know if it is or isn't normal, so I could continue my dance of death with these destroyers (and a Hawker Hurricane) or head back to Kiel for my next patrol?

Johnny_JG2
04-21-2005, 06:17 AM
There are more duds in the beginning of the war, for one thing. Im in June of 42 and I rarely get duds now - though I usually DO have 1 or 2 out of my 14, even on perfect shots.

In the beginning of the war I used magnetic mostly, and surprisingly I didn't have too many duds. 1.3-1.5 meters beneath the keel.

Now, I'm targetting fuel tanks with impacts, and it's later in the war so I'm having good success.

I still ALWAYS use magnetic on destroyers though- and they always go down with one shot under them, after probably 15-20 destroyers killed.

You are having some bad luck it sounds like - so I'd go with magnetic around 1.3 meters under the keel for a couple patrols and maybe impacts will treat you better then.

PBNA-Boosher
04-21-2005, 06:20 AM
Thanks. As I'm sure you know, it's very frustrating. Now I have to wait 10 more minutes for my torp tubes to load. I think in that case I may just be better running back to Kiel.

Messervy
04-21-2005, 06:21 AM
I would suspect that if they circle around, you might be close enough to surface and spit on them, but not far enough for your torpedoes to arm. 300 - 400 meters.

horrido1962_
04-21-2005, 06:23 AM
With 1.1 and 1.0, I never got steam torp duds at the default settings. And I mean never. I used to always shoot slow speed - M/I - the defaults, at a very close range (400-600 meters). I played 100% realism, with the exception of external views. I just got my stuttering problem worked out, so have only played 1 patrol with 1.2, and got 2 kills last night with no duds. Personally I think something is broken (or NOT broken if you get my drift lol).

Oh, btw for the record, the stuttering problem was due to up to date drivers for my Nvidia card. I went back to old drivers, and now its gone.

W.Irving
04-21-2005, 07:06 AM
Perhaps the torpedoes don't arm after a certain distance travelled, but rather after a certain time since launch.
There's a slight difference in time between the slow and high speeds of the T1.

PBNA-Boosher
04-21-2005, 10:18 AM
Oh, maybe that's it. Maybe I am too close with some of them I know that with some I was inside 200 meters range. It's stormy seas, so I can't surface and hit them with the deck gun, and though I would love to very much, they are destroyers, so...

That last shot though, I fired the torp from 700 meters range. It should have armed by then.

mightyduck100
04-21-2005, 10:47 AM
In the early days its better to go with the impact pistol if you can. There were problems with the magnetic pistol on early war torps which was resolved mid to late 1940 (I think).

300M is the arming distance. If you fire within this including the distance the target may close on you then you are firing blank.

Add a buffer of 100M distance on the minimum firing range to give you some leeway in arming the fish.

This will usually account for any delta in distance between you and the target during the torpedos travel.

horrido1962_
04-21-2005, 08:09 PM
Don't get history confused with this game. In the early days of this game, properly fired M/I torps have no duds at slow speed.

Tyke909
04-21-2005, 08:35 PM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PBNA-Boosher:
Oh, maybe that's it. Maybe I am too close with some of them I know that with some I was inside 200 meters range. It's stormy seas, so I can't surface and hit them with the deck gun, and though I would love to very much, they are destroyers, so...

That last shot though, I fired the torp from 700 meters range. It should have armed by then. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have had the "clang" frustration too it is pretty irritating, but part of the game. When it comes to range it is vital you are at more than 300m by the time the torp leaves the tube and if the target is closing it must have travelled 300m to arm.

As others have posted the dud rate drops right off later on in the game, but when you still get one bouncing off a T3 tanker at 90 degrees and 400m it is still an ARGHHHHHH moment.

nstutt
04-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Well Im with the bloke above who never got duds with steam based torps in 1939/40. Ive never got one! Mark2s are a different matter using them I seem to get quite a few duds. I think that the steam torps are bugged in the game and so I will switch to Mark2s from now on. Using steam are just too darn easy to get kills.