PDA

View Full Version : Radiator: Open or Closed?

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Question: What is the purpose of the opening or closing of the radiator and when should I use each position, open or closed? Thanks!

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:19 PM
Question: What is the purpose of the opening or closing of the radiator and when should I use each position, open or closed? Thanks!

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:23 PM
If the radiator is open, your engine will take longer to Overheat but you will go slightly slower.

If it is closed, your engine will overhead quicker, but you will go very slightly faster.

I usually have my radiator set to 4/6.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:25 PM
You should have it open in turn fights, and when you're travelling long distances on high throttle settings, or any other occasion when high power but not necessarily speed is required.

Close it when attacking bombers, since it increases the probability (I think?) or engine damage. Also if you are running away from someone it should be closed, since that extra speed may be the difference needed for your survival.

XyZspineZyX
09-07-2003, 09:26 PM
radiators cool down the engines cooling liquid and oil.

On air cooled radial engines you don't need to adjust radiator settings but on in-line engines like on the (Bf109, Yak, LaGG3, ...) closing the radiator will most likely cause the engine to overheat quickly.

Unfortunately open radiators cause drag reduceing your speed so try to keep them at minimum. for the Bf109 pos.2 or pos.4 will work in most situations and drag is minimal.

If you experience overheating first try to wider open radiators instead of reduceing engine power permanently.