PDA

View Full Version : I have had it with the ‘External Block’ trial.

GayForShugoki
04-25-2018, 02:04 PM
The bonus objective to not get hit isn’t really a challenge, nor is it fun to attempt. It’s simply there to annoy you as much as possible and make you angry. I have been attempting this trash bonus objective for three days.

The funny thing is that the objective is not skill based. It can’t be because it’s complete and utter bullcrap. Okay, the first two you face are fun, you need to time it right and find the right balance, assuming you don’t cheese it and just toss them off the edge. And then you get to the PK and the stupid shield lady and that’s where it goes downhill. If you’re not lucky to get a successful grab onto the PK and, by some stroke of luck, have the saw instakill her, which 9/10 it won’t, you’re going to fail.

Don’t even get me started on the fact that the shield lady does not attack, so you cannot stun her and ship them both down. No, you need to throw them both into the godforsaken saw and pray it kills them.

And then, if you’re like me, and manage to kill the PK, the stupid shield lady spams her unblockable move and hits you, even if you dodge, because why not?

Long story short. You have to fight 4 people without getting hit in the name of a challenge. A challnge, which I may add, that seems to be broken. Whoever made this, and allowed this to be accepted... I have no words.

Trials should be based on skill, not cheesing and luck.

Lowhappyface123
04-25-2018, 02:49 PM
i know this is cliche right now but . . . git gud scrub

dodge valks sweep at the right time left or right never back and gb her

pk- you dont have to ledge her just fight

the trials are based on skill -_-

PDXGorechild
04-25-2018, 03:07 PM
Yeah did it first time no trouble...

Sorry, you just need to practice.

EvoX.
04-25-2018, 03:21 PM
Everything you said is wrong. The two Wardens you just ledge and be done with it, it's not cheese - they're bots. Then just move slightly to the side of the saw, opposite of the direction the 2 enemies come from, Guardbreak the PK and throw her into it. Works 10/10 times, she never CGB's. Then you just have the Conq to do the same to, or fight normally.

Aurockson
04-25-2018, 03:29 PM
I probably had the most trouble with this one as well spent about 30 minutes on it... The most annoying part is if you do get hit on the conq/pk part you got to redo the wardens and its not hard at all its just tedious and that 1 little hit screws you unless you are in the unblockable attack then it will take the hit and not count against you

Vakris_One
04-25-2018, 03:40 PM
Sorry guys but maxing many of the trials is not at all based on skill. They aren't hard to do, they've just been made annoying to do - big difference. Take the trial the OP talks about for example, the bots are all designed to gimp themselves for you and all you have to do is figure this out and then cheese them in the safest ways possible. That's not skill nor is it a genuine difficulty level, it's artificial difficulty by simply making the bots annoying until you understand their built-in weakness patterns. It's like having bullet sponge bosses in first person shooters with very dumb AI, it's not hard to do it's just tedious.

The two Wardens:
Every time you externally block one he then stops doing anything and stands completely still, becoming a free dummy target for you. As soon as you switch to him the other Warden is coded to immediatelly attack you so you can get an easy external block on him and then you have two stunned targets both waiting to be easily dispatched by the Zerker's combo. Or just ledge them.

The PK and Conq:
The PK gets stunned when you externally block her. The Conq does not. Externally block the PK to stun her, switch to her, block or parry the Conq, GB the PK and throw her into the saw. Repeat until PK dies and then face off the Conq who only has 2 patterns of attack. She either throws two heavy attacks after which you get a free GB on her, or she shield bashes and lights if she connects.

Once you understand their patterns they become simple to dispatch without taking damage but it's not because of great skill on the player's part it's because the player is cheesing the AI's endless, leming-like repetition of the same moves. It would have been genuinley skill based if they just let you fight two level 2 Wardens followed by level 3 Conq and PK. Win without taking damage against that and then you can call that trial skill based.

These trials don't do a good job of teaching a new player how even mediocre human players will gank, it's just about learning how to cheese the AI in a custom built environment.

SpaceJim12
04-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Hah, based on skill. Yeah...maybe.
While trials are useful (a lot, I think) for new players, it's really just annoing for someone who play this game since launch.=)
Let's say, for example, first warrior trial. The side objective is block 30 attack. 30! I almost fell in sleep, while block LB attacks. Block and block again. And there is no simple counter, so you just sit and wiat when objective will be done. Not annoing enough for you?
The revenge trail where the objective is "Not block a single attack". Really? They asking us to NOT block. It's just impossible when two chars spam attacks from different directions. And by the way I tried parry them first two time. Thought do not block means parry. =_=
So trials are really annoing for veterans I believe.

ArchDukeInstinct
04-25-2018, 08:58 PM
And then you get to the PK and the stupid shield lady and that’s where it goes downhill.

And then, if you’re like me, and manage to kill the PK, the stupid shield lady spams her unblockable move

How dare you.

GayForShugoki
04-27-2018, 06:34 AM
i know this is cliche right now but . . . git gud scrub

dodge valks sweep at the right time left or right never back and gb her

pk- you dont have to ledge her just fight

the trials are based on skill -_-

Incredibly cliché because that offers no advice. Clearly it’s my skill and not the fact one bonus objective was designed to be as infuriating as possible. There is no skill in some of the trails bonus objectives, it’s just asinine time waste with a goal to infuriate you.

Yeah did it first time no trouble...

Sorry, you just need to practice.

Assuming that I haven’t completed it. I was remarking about how unfun and infuriating the objective was.

Everything you said is wrong. The two Wardens you just ledge and be done with it, it's not cheese - they're bots. Then just move slightly to the side of the saw, opposite of the direction the 2 enemies come from, Guardbreak the PK and throw her into it. Works 10/10 times, she never CGB's. Then you just have the Conq to do the same to, or fight normally.

Nothing I said was wrong.

I probably had the most trouble with this one as well spent about 30 minutes on it... The most annoying part is if you do get hit on the conq/pk part you got to redo the wardens and its not hard at all its just tedious and that 1 little hit screws you unless you are in the unblockable attack then it will take the hit and not count against you

Yes.

Sorry guys but maxing many of the trials is not at all based on skill. They aren't hard to do, they've just been made annoying to do - big difference. Take the trial the OP talks about for example, the bots are all designed to gimp themselves for you and all you have to do is figure this out and then cheese them in the safest ways possible. That's not skill nor is it a genuine difficulty level, it's artificial difficulty by simply making the bots annoying until you understand their built-in weakness patterns. It's like having bullet sponge bosses in first person shooters with very dumb AI, it's not hard to do it's just tedious.

The two Wardens:
Every time you externally block one he then stops doing anything and stands completely still, becoming a free dummy target for you. As soon as you switch to him the other Warden is coded to immediatelly attack you so you can get an easy external block on him and then you have two stunned targets both waiting to be easily dispatched by the Zerker's combo. Or just ledge them.

The PK and Conq:
The PK gets stunned when you externally block her. The Conq does not. Externally block the PK to stun her, switch to her, block or parry the Conq, GB the PK and throw her into the saw. Repeat until PK dies and then face off the Conq who only has 2 patterns of attack. She either throws two heavy attacks after which you get a free GB on her, or she shield bashes and lights if she connects.

Once you understand their patterns they become simple to dispatch without taking damage but it's not because of great skill on the player's part it's because the player is cheesing the AI's endless, leming-like repetition of the same moves. It would have been genuinley skill based if they just let you fight two level 2 Wardens followed by level 3 Conq and PK. Win without taking damage against that and then you can call that trial skill based.

These trials don't do a good job of teaching a new player how even mediocre human players will gank, it's just about learning how to cheese the AI in a custom built environment.

Exactly what I’m talking about. It’s not skill, it’s pure cheesing. That is my major gripe. You don’t do the trial with skill, you HAVE to cheese it to get that objective.

Hah, based on skill. Yeah...maybe.
While trials are useful (a lot, I think) for new players, it's really just annoing for someone who play this game since launch.=)
Let's say, for example, first warrior trial. The side objective is block 30 attack. 30! I almost fell in sleep, while block LB attacks. Block and block again. And there is no simple counter, so you just sit and wiat when objective will be done. Not annoing enough for you?
The revenge trail where the objective is "Not block a single attack". Really? They asking us to NOT block. It's just impossible when two chars spam attacks from different directions. And by the way I tried parry them first two time. Thought do not block means parry. =_=
So trials are really annoing for veterans I believe.

Most of them were stupidly counterintuitive to the game.

How dare you.

;’)

Stupid

Shield

Lady

CandleInTheDark
04-27-2018, 08:28 AM
I managed to do it after I learned the pattern without using the saw or ledges but yeah the arena is the most useful part of the update.

Mind you it's not the worst challenge, I get the point of it, the one I have a problem with, and I mean conceptual, not ability, is the revenge one. You need to block to fill the revenge meter, you need to pop revenge to get an a and for most of the challenges...except one challenge that says complete without blocking, I wound up doing two runs.

Mia.Nora
04-27-2018, 09:25 AM
Main problem with all trials is that they are minigames based on game mechanics, NOT tutorials that properly explain in what situations those mechanics are meant to be used.

How hard is it to make the feint tutorial that Bots attempt to parry every attack you do (and successfully parry unless feinted) so you bait a parry with feint and parry that incoming heavy yourself. But instead it is just a minigame around feint mechanic that doesn't translate into PvP properly.

CandleInTheDark
05-03-2018, 11:20 PM
Coming back to this, I think some of us might be looking at it with the eyes of people who have a lot of experience with the game.

I kind of think the arena and the campaign mode do what they are supposed to do for new players. I got For Honor again on PC, completely new controls and muscle memory needed which I was stumbling on at first though I have a wireless adapter if I eventually cave and decide I want to use the controller. I am eleven hours game time in, hitting the keys smoother, finished the trials (all A grade with all side missions) and halfway through the campaign (realistic, getting all observables and breakables) and that has likely done me a good deal better in terms of base mechanics than if I had just jumped right into multiplayer which I will after I have eventually finished the campaign.

Vakris_One
05-04-2018, 01:14 AM
Coming back to this, I think some of us might be looking at it with the eyes of people who have a lot of experience with the game.

I kind of think the arena and the campaign mode do what they are supposed to do for new players. I got For Honor again on PC, completely new controls and muscle memory needed which I was stumbling on at first though I have a wireless adapter if I eventually cave and decide I want to use the controller. I am eleven hours game time in, hitting the keys smoother, finished the trials (all A grade with all side missions) and halfway through the campaign (realistic, getting all observables and breakables) and that has likely done me a good deal better in terms of base mechanics than if I had just jumped right into multiplayer which I will after I have eventually finished the campaign.
Cool man, so you're on PC now? Feel free to add me on Uplay if you ever want a teammate. My tag is the same as my forum name. You're not still fighting for those Volcano obsessed Knights are ya? :p

CandleInTheDark
05-04-2018, 01:23 AM
Cool man, so you're on PC now? Feel free to add me on Uplay if you ever want a teammate. My tag is the same as my forum name. You're not still fighting for those Volcano obsessed Knights are ya? :p

My name is also same as on here, and no I switched this offseason.

This is going to make me sound like a bandwagonner but I was split between the vikings and knights when I first got the game, peacekeeper was what swayed it and I was waiting to see if her rework made me interested in putting the reps into her right away. There are characters I like in samurai also, ultimately it came down to liking the berserker slightly more than the orochi, highlander better than aramusha (not a fan of the pure heavies, so always was going to try at least one of those, eventually both) and valkyrie and nobushi about on the same level. So currently around campaign sessions working on getting used to valk, berserker and highlander in arena. I'll always have characters in all the factions but I go where I will spend the time with the characters of most. I am planning on working a mix of comfortable favourites, valk, berserker, nobushi, a little later peacekeeper, and characters I either have a rep or two in or haven't started like kensei (possibly sooner rather than later, not feeling raider as my vanguard after the campaign so if am going for all eighteen to 7 he will like as not be one of the latter ones), orochi and highlander. I got four of the knights to rep seven on xbox and didn't enjoy the three reps between lawbringer and centurion so focussing on others first.

Honestly it isn't just the volcano as an asset sink with the knights though, the whole mess has turned the atmosphere on the knights subreddit pretty toxic and it has spilled out into the main for honor reddit on occasion.