PDA

View Full Version : To DIE or Not to DIE?

Max_Schnell
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Howdy Gang!!

I've been playing SHIII for a few years now and early on whenever I died (got killed in action), most of the time I would start a new career starting from the time I was killed, instead of just reloading previously saved game.

Other times I would often start a career from the beginning again.

Now, at this point, the way I respond to be killed in action (KIA) is that I pretend it was a bad dream that the Captain had, and when I reload the saved game I don't make the same mistake I made before to get myself killed.

I was just wondering how you all respond to being KIA, besides the usual cursing and apologies to the crew while your boat sinks deeper and deeper, down, down, down, into the dark abyss.

I note it here that when I would start new careers, I never made it past 4 to 5 patrols. It seems that being KIA was a sure thing. So many lost souls.

Now with my "Bad Dreams" excuse I am on my 31st patrol, I know it's quite unreal, but I just wanted to make it into the later years of the campaign. It's fun none-the-less.

What are your ideas, routines, thoughts?

Thanks you,
Max

Schnell!!!! Schnell!!!!

Max_Schnell
07-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Howdy Gang!!

I've been playing SHIII for a few years now and early on whenever I died (got killed in action), most of the time I would start a new career starting from the time I was killed, instead of just reloading previously saved game.

Other times I would often start a career from the beginning again.

Now, at this point, the way I respond to be killed in action (KIA) is that I pretend it was a bad dream that the Captain had, and when I reload the saved game I don't make the same mistake I made before to get myself killed.

I was just wondering how you all respond to being KIA, besides the usual cursing and apologies to the crew while your boat sinks deeper and deeper, down, down, down, into the dark abyss.

I note it here that when I would start new careers, I never made it past 4 to 5 patrols. It seems that being KIA was a sure thing. So many lost souls.

Now with my "Bad Dreams" excuse I am on my 31st patrol, I know it's quite unreal, but I just wanted to make it into the later years of the campaign. It's fun none-the-less.

What are your ideas, routines, thoughts?

Thanks you,
Max

Schnell!!!! Schnell!!!!

Stingray-65
07-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Usually what I do is start another career in 1941 so that I can start with a type 7 boat & I go until I'm killed again. I've yet to make it until the end of the war.

PhantomKira
07-06-2010, 02:48 PM
My current careers are being run with a "start where you left off" mentality. I start a new career the month after a loss.

As per not making it though many patrols, all you have to do is look at the history and the numbers of people killed. That's how it was. Dangerous business.

MartiniMik
07-06-2010, 02:58 PM
Max,
I kinda do both to a degree. Whenever I meet a target or possible pursuer I always "save". If I meet my demise I replay from the "save" point as a learning experience. Once I'm able to make it out of the situation, (if I ever figure it out), I acknowledge the loss of my sub & start a new career. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-sad.gif

Max_Schnell
07-06-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks Guys! Great feedback.

Please keep it coming.

Stingray, I played it like you for a long time, and I never made it to 1943. '42 is a bad year for U-boats.

Needless to say, the Captain has many bad dreams. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

VONHARRIS
07-06-2010, 10:52 PM
I play by the DEAD is DEAD rule. If I am depth charged and sent to the abyss then it is OVER. I only save a game when I don't have time to finish a patrol.

Max_Schnell
07-07-2010, 11:39 AM
Wow, Vonharris, I admire your resolve.

What is the most number of patrols you have survived?

Do you restart in the same year, or do you have some kind of rotation?

Have you noticed any patterns or repetitive game play, or does each new life play differently? Does my question make sense?

I used to play as you do, starting each new life in 1939, I rarely made it to 1942.

Thanks for the info.

VONHARRIS
07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I always start at 1939 every time. My last career ended in January 1945 in an IXD2 off the Spanish coast when I engaged a Task Force. The usual number of patrols are between 29 and 32 , that is when I don't use the 'realstic career length' of the SH3 commander. Of course due to work it takes months of real time to complete 'the whole war'. The events are random in each career. The messages sent by BdU though , are always the same. I don't finish my patrols at sea, I always try to return to home port or any other port or to any supply ship or milk cow available. If I run out of fuel then ......
I use the GWX 3.0 gold.
I have been playing SH3 for ages. I just love it.

jajtam
08-24-2010, 08:10 AM
HI)
as for I never continue after being killed...
i always start my carrier in 1939 in 7th flotillie with VIIB type u-boat... realism of the game is 88% now and i have advanced to 1941 making 14 patrols sinking about 900000 tons...
good luck to all)) me also)
P.S. never use saves to restart... it is unfair... prefer to miss all five toprs than to sink from the 2nd attemp...

Kaleun1961
08-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I play by the "Dead is Dead" method. I never reload a saved game if I get killed from my own actions. I had a very promising start to my previous career, using GWX Gold and a goodly number of realism enhancing mods. On his maiden patrol, my Kaleun had wracked up over 70K and was going after a convoy, surfaced in murky weather when a dark shape loomed out of the mist. Too late I realized it was a BB and it opened up on me with every small gun it had. I immediately ordered a crash dive but the seconds it took to get under felt like eternity, and well, they became eternity for me and my men.

My only exception to DiD is if I have an accident due to time compression. I'm nuts about this game, but I am not going to play a whole patrol at 1x. When my current skipper is killed or retired by SH3 Commander I begin a new career in the same month and year. That way I experience the whole progression of the war. The only way you'll get killed early war is if you are too aggressive or too stupid, have one of those bad luck moments or have a time compression accident. If you get killed, then you should accept it, learn from it and start a new career. But how a player chooses to play is his own choice. You paid for it, play it your way.

I really enjoy the retirement feature of SH3 Cmdr, as it limits my career length to historical reality. Sure, I get PO'd if I get retired after only four patrols, but that's what adds excitement to the game, never knowing when your career will end. As well, it does much to prevent ridiculous tonnage scores or super uber crews. I think the longest career I ever had using this feature was about eight or nine patrols, my average being around six. The career randomization "roll" occurs every time you use SH3 Cmdr; if you play one patrol over several saves and game restarts, you should disable the feature until your final loading prior to completing the patrol. If you reload a patrol several times before completing it you increase your odds of a career retirement.