PDA

View Full Version : How to break a game. For Honor Character design.

Camemberto
04-23-2018, 09:42 AM
I vividly remember the day, that the Centurion was the ONLY thing in the game that I hated. Everything else I was completely fine with... Look at where we are now... How did that happen? Here is my theory:

1. Create a roster of somewhat balanced heroes and everything is fine
2. Add completely broken characters, that are not fun to fight AGAINST, because they are fundamentally flawed and have never been playtested on the receiving end of their abusive kit
3. Collect data and feedback from the community for WAY too long
4. Break the already broken characters EVEN MORE by nerfing unrelated things to a point, they are no longer fun to play AS

Exhibit A: Centurion. I would still hate to face a Centurion even if all of his attacks did 0 Damage. They way he pushes you around, and makes your screen light up in all sorts of seizure-inducing colors, until it's eternally grey, while shouting three different Latin taunts to no end would never be fun. Never.

DrinkinMyStella
04-23-2018, 10:48 AM
Git-Gud?

Armosias
04-23-2018, 12:21 PM
I vividly remember the day, that the Centurion was the ONLY thing in the game that I hated. Everything else I was completely fine with... Look at where we are now... How did that happen? Here is my theory:

1. Create a roster of somewhat balanced heroes and everything is fine
2. Add completely broken characters, that are not fun to fight AGAINST, because they are fundamentally flawed and have never been playtested on the receiving end of their abusive kit
3. Collect data and feedback from the community for WAY too long
4. Break the already broken characters EVEN MORE by nerfing unrelated things to a point, they are no longer fun to play AS

Exhibit A: Centurion. I would still hate to face a Centurion even if all of his attacks did 0 Damage. They way he pushes you around, and makes your screen light up in all sorts of seizure-inducing colors, until it's eternally grey, while shouting three different Latin taunts to no end would never be fun. Never.

1. OG was not balanced. By season 2 Raider was reworked, PK and Warlord nerfed, a des other changes... Wasn't Conq OP in the game's first days?
2. Exemples of characters that are "fundamentally flawed" by their GAMEPLAY design and not by the game's global mechanics.
3. This is true for Cent(and please understand that he has only one valuable combo which got nerfed by parry changes), not for any other character.
4. Exemples?

Exhibit A: every stunning attack will light your screen in "seizure inducing colors", the fact that cent have two stunning abilities doesn't make it worse than on any other character. Then he doesn't "push you around". Or you have some issues in counter guardbreaking, which probably cause you to be thrown often by anyone.
Waiting for constructive comments with exemple thanks.

Camemberto
04-23-2018, 02:11 PM
I don't just mean stunning attacks. I just find the number of melee attacks, softfeints, cutscenes, unblockable, undodgable and hyperarmor attacks disturbing and that has objectively changed a lot since day one. And for the worse in my opinion.

A lot of these attacks came with the introduction of new heroes. And the old ones were adjusted to fit the new demand. That's the problem.

Also I just felt like ranting a bit ;D

Dane520123
04-23-2018, 02:27 PM
If u canít dodge cents kick or punch u just suck and if u canít counter guard against his heavy feint... u suck. Itís not hard to do what so ever, low skill players will get stomped by any hero just get better.

EDG_Avocado
04-23-2018, 03:30 PM
I am For Honor's best player and have to confirm centurion is INDEED broken

Armosias
04-23-2018, 04:02 PM
I don't just mean stunning attacks. I just find the number of melee attacks, softfeints, cutscenes, unblockable, undodgable and hyperarmor attacks disturbing and that has objectively changed a lot since day one. And for the worse in my opinion.

A lot of these attacks came with the introduction of new heroes. And the old ones were adjusted to fit the new demand. That's the problem.

Also I just felt like ranting a bit ;D
Said like this I can't disagree with you

Dane520123
04-23-2018, 04:20 PM
I am For Honor's best player and have to confirm centurion is INDEED broken
Nice trollololol

Camemberto
04-25-2018, 08:17 AM
To all the Git Gud f*cks:

I am a mediocre player that much is true. The difference is, that fighting against the old cast, I can make multiple mistakes and still be alive to recover from them and win. With the new cast and especially the Cent, it's one mistake and game over.

That's the problem and I seriously don't understand how that could be so hard to fathom.

DrinkinMyStella
04-25-2018, 11:50 AM
To all the Git Gud f*cks:

I am a mediocre player that much is true. The difference is, that fighting against the old cast, I can make multiple mistakes and still be alive to recover from them and win. With the new cast and especially the Cent, it's one mistake and game over.

That's the problem and I seriously don't understand how that could be so hard to fathom.

I was joking about git gud btw. yes one mistake can spell disaster when against a cent but thats the same for most heroes now. cent can be punished badly and he is very reactable now so as long a you don't get baited and can time your dodges then he's not much of a threat.