PDA

View Full Version : Ranked Duel qualifiers are a complete waste of time?!

KitingFatKidsEZ
04-21-2018, 01:22 PM
So yea, fastest way is just to pick whatever, lose 0:3 that way you dont tell your opponent anything.

And there is no downside at all???!! You still qualify for playoffs if you go 0:3, you probably get easier matches overall because you lose more on average, you get better rewards because its easier to win if you dont show the other guys what you are playing.

There is literally no upside to winning ranked duel qualifiers.

What a horrendous failure of a ranked mode.

Vakris_One
04-21-2018, 02:00 PM
So yea, fastest way is just to pick whatever, lose 0:3 that way you dont tell your opponent anything.

And there is no downside at all???!! You still qualify for playoffs if you go 0:3, you probably get easier matches overall because you lose more on average, you get better rewards because its easier to win if you dont show the other guys what you are playing.

There is literally no upside to winning ranked duel qualifiers.

What a horrendous failure of a ranked mode.
Yeah it's kind of a waste of time. There is maybe one advantage if you win all 3 qualifiers: you then face the guy who finished bottom so technically you have an easy win into the Semi-final. But the whole qualifiers stage could be removed and you'd get a much faster tournament needing less time to do.

EvoX.
04-21-2018, 03:38 PM
They're a massive time waste, at least 20 minutes until you're allowed to proceed to the two matches that matter. The best feeling is when you endure all that and win the semi-final, only to lose in the final. Lately this has been happening a lot to me, and it's incredibly frustrating.

KitingFatKidsEZ
04-21-2018, 04:04 PM
are there any rewards for being in a higher ranked tier? (gold / silver / plat /dia) at the end of the season?

Vakris_One
04-21-2018, 05:00 PM
are there any rewards for being in a higher ranked tier? (gold / silver / plat /dia) at the end of the season?
Nope. There are no rewards at the end of a Season, you only get rewards from playing the ranked mode until you are eliminated or win the tournament. Wining the tournament gets you 1 to 2 ornaments for the character you used to win - in the next Season you will only get 1 ornament since they will stop giving out the previous Season's ranked ornaments as prizes. Losing the final gives you a chance to get an embossing although it is up to RNG if you'll get the embossing or not. Losing any match before the final gets you some random colour scheme.

Rank means almost nothing other than determining the matchmaking pool you will be placed in, i.e. it tries to match golds with golds, silver with other silvers, platinum with platinum, etc.

KitingFatKidsEZ
04-21-2018, 05:02 PM
Nope. There are no rewards at the end of a Season, you only get rewards from playing the ranked mode until you are eliminated or win the tournament.

Rank means almost nothing other than determining the matchmaking pool you will be placed in, i.e. it tries to match golds with golds, silver with other silvers, platinum with platinum, etc.

I honestly cant facepalm hard enough to adequately express how stupid of a design choice this is.

Thanks for telling me vakris!

Vakris_One
04-21-2018, 05:20 PM
I honestly cant facepalm hard enough to adequately express how stupid of a design choice this is.

Thanks for telling me vakris!
No problem. And yeah, it definitely isn't like any other PvP ranked mode that I have seen. I mean I do like getting the rewards immediately rather than waiting for the end of a whole Season, I feel that does increase the replayability of it and thus gets more people playing it more often - but the tournament structure is needlessly prolonged imo and the rewards being completely random and not being awarded all previous tiers of rewards upon finishing first or second is frankly ridiculous and needs correcting.

The rank not meaning much outside of as a matchmaking placement tool is an oversight - since most ranked modes in PvP games let you display your rank - but I don't mind that as I'm not one that cares at all about showing off my ranking.

Tyrjo
04-21-2018, 06:31 PM
How to remedy Duel Tournament

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1872231-How-to-remedy-Duel-Tournament

SHRiIVIP
04-22-2018, 02:11 AM
Yeah it's kind of a waste of time. There is maybe one advantage if you win all 3 qualifiers: you then face the guy who finished bottom so technically you have an easy win into the Semi-final. But the whole qualifiers stage could be removed and you'd get a much faster tournament needing less time to do.

Waste of time? Maybe, but the Pegasus Rider ornament on my Warden says otherwise for me.