PDA

View Full Version : How to remedy Duel Tournament

Tyrjo
04-20-2018, 09:05 AM
The ranked modes and specifically Duel Tournament have been in negative feedback loop for a long while. No one plays it because the matchmaking and rewards and terrible, which in turn makes the matchmaking even worse.

A five point plan to revitalize Duel Tournament.

1. Make the tournament a special game mode, it's only natural to not have tournaments open all the time. Have it open on weekends, Friday to Sunday. This will direct the activity to a shorter time span and will results in better matchmaking.

2. Introduce a 1vs1 ladder that is always open, for competitive play during times the tournament is closed.

3. Increase the steel and XP rewards by 50%. Reward forfeit wins as well.

4. Each season, issue a season order to get a placement rank in Duel Tournament. This order rewards 2000 steel. Once this order is completed each weekend you get an order to participate in a Duel Tournament. This orders rewards 500 steel.

5. Create reward tiers depending on which rank you achieve after the season is finished. If you finish higher up in the ranks you get more interesting rewards.

Tyrjo
05-11-2018, 06:52 AM
Bonus
6. The whole tournament needs to be snappier. The wait timer in between matches needs to be cut down by half. I'm not talking about waiting for the other matches to finish, I mean the actual time when the all matches are decided until your next match starts.

Do we really need to see the whole "Whetstone Wankers vs Screaming Ballsacks" intro? It's irrelevent, no one cares. Scrap it.

PDXGorechild
05-11-2018, 09:45 AM
I approve. Currently have little interest in Tournaments, this would get me back on it.

I also think they should get rid of the first 3 "qualifier" rounds as they are essentially pointless. You can lose all 3 and then continue to win the tournament anyway. Plus you're invested and have to play them games. Say a player gets steamrolled in the qualifiers by superior players, using classes that player has difficulty with, they have very little incentive to continue and a fair few people drop out. If it was an event at the weekend, population would be high, so why not strip it back to basics and make it a 32 player tournament consisting of a potential 5 rounds. 32 initial players, then 16, 8, 4, 2. If you lose a round, you're out. Simple.

BonusDo we really need to see the whole "Whetstone Wankers vs Screaming Ballsacks" intro? It's irrelevent, no one cares. Scrap it.

Made me laugh. I enjoyed this at first but it wore thin very quickly. How about a unique cut scene showing the two players emblems instead. Or the two players characters facing off in a zoomed up camera shot.

Tyrjo
05-15-2018, 07:40 PM
If you opponent rage quits on you as you've just won the match, you just get disconnected from the match and get absolutely nothing. No steel, no XP, no gear. This needs to be fixed.

relosaoZ
05-16-2018, 12:03 PM
Sounds nice

Tyrjo
05-19-2018, 09:54 AM
Regarding the old seasonal ornaments

What if there was a chance that the old ornaments dropped if you won a tournament? The chance should be greater the further up the tiers you move. This would create incentive to actually rank up and not smurf in the lower tiers like some do.

Diamond 50%
Platinum 40%
Gold 30%
Silver 20%
Bronze 10%

Klingentaenz3r
05-30-2018, 09:56 AM
Overall very good conceptional ideas Tyrjo. I like this 6 step improving plan. Looks sound to me and should do to the trick to get things more populated.

I would just not endorse point 5 as to me this could lead to people just picking the most effective (cheesiest) class (or just lag switch here and there?) to get and improve their rank since the rank is connected to your account overall and not to that hero you play (how would the system know for what characters I would need my rewards?). And if you did, there would be just way too much time and effort to be spend to get into some of the desired rank brackets with most of your mains/subs/whatever.

The additional point here that bothers me is that once the season starts and you hypothetically miss out on the first tournament events you have a much harder chance to get to a higher rank as the seats are already taken and hence one would have to work a lot more to get into upper brackets than those who got there right in the beginning. Besides that there stands the point what happens to people who just get a good rank quickly and then don't play anymore until end of the season? Can you just say "oh they need to play on each event and defend their title?" - no, you can't. With this only people who play all the time and could afford that and could gain those high tier rewards at the end of the season which would be an anti-incentive for a lot of people and possibly discouraging them to participate.

Soldier_of_Dawn
05-30-2018, 06:19 PM
I approve. Currently have little interest in Tournaments, this would get me back on it.

I also think they should get rid of the first 3 "qualifier" rounds as they are essentially pointless. You can lose all 3 and then continue to win the tournament anyway. Plus you're invested and have to play them games. Say a player gets steamrolled in the qualifiers by superior players, using classes that player has difficulty with, they have very little incentive to continue and a fair few people drop out. If it was an event at the weekend, population would be high, so why not strip it back to basics and make it a 32 player tournament consisting of a potential 5 rounds. 32 initial players, then 16, 8, 4, 2. If you lose a round, you're out. Simple.

If Duel Tournament was an event, you think they could fit in a 100,000 steel raffle for each winner or semi finalist? For example:

* Win quarter final = 15,000 steel raffle entry
* Win semi final = 50,000 steel raffle entry
* Win final = 100,000 steel raffle entry

With the above in mind, there would no cap to the number of entries a player could earn. The raffles would take place after the event finishes.

Tyrjo
06-10-2018, 03:03 PM
Another frustrating issue is that you gain no rank for a forfeit win. I think you should get like 10% rank for it. It's pretty frustrating to climb the ranks when people quit out of the tournament, games you probably would have won.

Game 1: Win
Game 2: Loss
Game 2: Forfeit win

Now your rank is at best the same.

Playoff match 1: Win
Playoff match 2: Loss

You made it pretty far, but still didn't rank up. Frustrating. If you were unlucky your win didn't really give you much, but your loss did.

Another thing which is pretty frustrating is to play against unranked players who clearly better than you are. Parrying your feints into lights etc. Unranked players should be in a separate pool.

Tyrjo
07-26-2018, 06:06 PM
I'm happy to see some of my suggestions actually made it into the game.

Soldier_of_Dawn
07-27-2018, 10:25 AM
I'm happy to see some of my suggestions actually made it into the game.

You're a genius!

Tyrjo
07-27-2018, 06:56 PM
It's still a shame about the steel gain though. I fear that having Tournaments on the weekends won't help enough. I mean, like why should you object yourself to that wait time? It just seems like tournament will be an disrupting annoyance for the 1vs1 ranked ladder.

Give tournament players more steel.
Give tournament players more rank up for wins.
Give tournament players ORDERS.

I don't buy it "we don't want to force anyone into a game mode". Then don't play it. I think the sooner players can get into 1vs1 fights and off 4vs4 (gank) Dominion the better. People complain about ganks so much, well hey, in 1vs1 mode...THERE IS NONE!

Soldier_of_Dawn
07-27-2018, 08:05 PM
It's still a shame about the steel gain though. I fear that having Tournaments on the weekends won't help enough. I mean, like why should you object yourself to that wait time? It just seems like tournament will be an disrupting annoyance for the 1vs1 ranked ladder.

It was said during the last Warrior's Den that the Ranked Duels and Duel Tournaments are open to feedback. We'll see what's improved and what will need fixing.

Tyrjo
08-28-2018, 07:34 AM
A good video on the topic from Dogiii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZLAP66OdPQ

Tyrjo
10-01-2018, 09:34 AM
By now it's kind of obvious that XP tickets are not enticing enough for people to play ranked tournament. It's always on LOW.

Community orders need to reward steel. Period. I also think playing in tournaments should increase the flat XP you gain while playing. Throw in some XP tickets as well.

g3g3n
10-01-2018, 07:57 PM
A really big help would be to allow players in lobby to watch games in progress. I don't know how hard it would be to implement, maybe the players who are watching do not need to enter the match, but rather watch it from lobby as a stream.

Not only is it a great way to kill time, but you can actually see how your enemies fight before you get to fight them and think about your strategy/approach. It will also mean you get to see their chosen hero (and they get to see yours!), but since you are able to switch heroes every match this should not be an issue, and will introduce more mindgames when picking a character.

Tyrjo
04-17-2019, 07:27 AM
It's been a while and we still haven't got a decent ranked 1vs1...

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/2039624-im-winning-every-game-in-bronze-and-only-getting-1-xp