PDA

View Full Version : Input Delay in For Honor

FredEx919
04-12-2018, 06:00 PM
Hey everyone,

We've just posted our latest entry into the Dev Blog series covering Input Delay in For Honor. This is the first step, and more improvements will be made to this in the future. Check the link below for the full details!

Input Delay in For Honor

(http://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-us/news-community/152-321584-16/input-delay-in-for-honor)Once you've had a look, feel free to share any thoughts and questions below for the team.

Shawn2572013
04-12-2018, 06:29 PM
Thank you

TheDemiurgos
04-12-2018, 09:55 PM
Great changes! Thank you so much for this

Alustar.exe
04-12-2018, 10:21 PM
Great read, and it also lets us know you are actively working on solutions. Okay me say, that this should be the way changes and tweaks should be presented. Preferably as often as warriors den updates, but I can understand if time constraints make that difficult. Please keep up this trend, as this level of transparency would be strides in the right direction to redeem the lack of past communication problems, because let's face it, the warrior's den do not really operate the way they are intended.

SpaceJim12
04-13-2018, 10:29 AM
It's something that we see with next patch? April 19th?

Really want to see how it work. But hope for the best.

FredEx919
04-13-2018, 03:23 PM
It's something that we see with next patch? April 19th?

Really want to see how it work. But hope for the best.

Correct. This will go live with the next patch on Thursday - 4/19.

wolfman25br
04-13-2018, 03:44 PM
1-Dont you guys think that the input lag could jeopardize the measures (hero changes) against the def meta ? More time to react, more defense etc...

EvoX.
04-13-2018, 07:13 PM
I have to say, I am learning quite a lot on how to do business from you guys. I couldn't think of a way with which you could get out of your ''lag compensation during Season 5'' promise, but here I am, astonished: this is apparently only the 1st part of it. What a way to keep the promise without giving what was promised.

Oh and let's not forget it's very experimental, great. A 33ms LC. So how many parts to this will there be, twenty five? Are we going to see a stable lag compensation system implemented before 2019?

Seriously, my hat's off to you, Ubi. Not even mad at this point, just amazed.

Vakris_One
04-14-2018, 12:43 AM
1-Dont you guys think that the input lag could jeopardize the measures (hero changes) against the def meta ? More time to react, more defense etc...
It's not meant to give us more time to react per say it's meant to normalise the timing of getting blocks and parries on each respective move across the board rather than having wierd occurences where an attack seems to cut straight through your block.

This video by Mege does a good job of explaining how the lack of lag comp affects the game:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5PUqoHDk8lw

I have to say, I am learning quite a lot on how to do business from you guys. I couldn't think of a way with which you could get out of your ''lag compensation during Season 5'' promise, but here I am, astonished: this is apparently only the 1st part of it. What a way to keep the promise without giving what was promised.

Oh and let's not forget it's very experimental, great. A 33ms LC. So how many parts to this will there be, twenty five? Are we going to see a stable lag compensation system implemented before 2019?

Seriously, my hat's off to you, Ubi. Not even mad at this point, just amazed.
So basically:

if they wait any longer to give us lag comp = people complain
if they give us lag comp = people complain

There's just no pleasing some people.

EvoX.
04-14-2018, 01:11 AM
if they give us lag comp = people complain.

They haven't, though?

Vakris_One
04-14-2018, 01:26 AM
They haven't, though?
Yeah because the 33ms input delay is nothing, right?

Alustar.exe
04-14-2018, 01:28 AM
I don't remember them ever saying lag compensation was scheduled for season 5, my recollection was that it was on the docket after dedicated servers went live and were successful, I never saw any sort of hard date for lag compensation. Which as far as I'm concerned, that's a regular and accepted business tactic, typically done so that you don't have parts like above, when you know you probably won't be able to deliver.
And in defense of Ubisoft, regardless of how they have handled anything in the past, this is a major step in the right direction. As I mentioned, this not only highlights the problem they are having, but also details the methods they are working with. It's called transparency, and it's a good thing.
Or you, know, they could just go back to the old "hurry up and wait, it's coming, we will tell you the week before we have a fix in the works." Type of answered that they had in the past.

EvoX.
04-14-2018, 03:35 AM
Yeah because the 33ms input delay is nothing, right?

This is not what anyone expected when they heard lag compensation is coming to For Honor, and yeah, it kind of isn't.

I don't remember them ever saying lag compensation was scheduled for season 5, my recollection was that it was on the docket after dedicated servers went live and were successful, I never saw any sort of hard date for lag compensation. Which as far as I'm concerned, that's a regular and accepted business tactic, typically done so that you don't have parts like above, when you know you probably won't be able to deliver.
And in defense of Ubisoft, regardless of how they have handled anything in the past, this is a major step in the right direction. As I mentioned, this not only highlights the problem they are having, but also details the methods they are working with. It's called transparency, and it's a good thing.
Or you, know, they could just go back to the old "hurry up and wait, it's coming, we will tell you the week before we have a fix in the works." Type of answered that they had in the past.

Well, this is a reply I can get behind, though I really expected LC to just be a single update like the dedicated servers and I doubt I was the only one. But I guess there's no point in mulling over it.

Alustar.exe
04-14-2018, 04:08 AM
This is not what anyone expected when they heard lag compensation is coming to For Honor, and yeah, it kind of isn't.

Well, this is a reply I can get behind, though I really expected LC to just be a single update like the dedicated servers and I doubt I was the only one. But I guess there's no point in mulling over it.

The dedicated server thing was (on paper) a simple enough fix, and essentially a pass or fail kind of deal. I'd uhh correct, it was a retooling of the netcode and a migrating of game data from the previous infrastructure to the current.
Lag compensation is a bit more involved, in that is going to have to be theory crafted, designed, tested, passed along to internal teams for further testing, then moved to external teams for further testing, likewise with external teams. Assuming it passes those, then they will probably do a live stress test before actually making it into the game on a more permanent basis. Which is good, because a mishandling of that could potentially break the game for those that are (like myself) riding the fence on the game as a whole.
And let me add, I am in no way defending Ubisoft for how poorly they have handled PR work in the past. I come from a heavy MMO background where devs and forum moderators worked much more closely together to disseminate information to the player base to avoid the very problems having this community. Granted they may not have always made the best decisions, but they at least had way more of a presence to the people paying them money.

Mirage6201
04-14-2018, 05:03 AM
Sounds like a step in the right direction but it doesn’t seem like it will help as much as everyone hoped for.

Vakris_One
04-14-2018, 05:20 PM
True enough, I think we all expected lag comp to be one single update like dedicated servers but as Alustar pointed out dedicated servers are more of a "switch on and go forth" type of affair whereas lag comp needs incrementle testing and deployment to make sure it doesn't make things worse rather than better.

Whether this first stage is nothing remains to be seen. Personally I would wait to actually try it out before casting judgement on it.

Alustar.exe
04-14-2018, 05:29 PM
I also just want to reiterate that this blog has very clearly outlined the problem, prior solutions (found to be ineffective), and new theories to be tested. This is the most information we, as players, have ever had into the process of an update before the changes had already been slotted for patching. The best we've had to go off of were patch notes that are already live, which don't give us an idea of changes incoming. More like, "here's what's new! LOLdeal!

CandleInTheDark
04-16-2018, 05:30 PM
Thank Fred, it is good to see where the devs are coming from in terms of how it was before and how it is now. I think blogs like this and the state of balance give us a lot more insight into what the devs are thinking and why they are doing as they are.

FredEx919
04-16-2018, 09:31 PM
Thanks for the feedback everyone. This is just the first step for input delay and we'll continue improving it based on the gameplay. We'll be doing a lot more of these dev blogs as well. So much more to cover soon!