PDA

View Full Version : A suggestion regarding the Parry changes

Veerdin-Wraith
04-12-2018, 12:18 AM
So, having now played with the Season 5 Parry changes for a good while, I think it's time for some feedback on how to make the system better:

Currently, I think the system is going in tbe right direction, but still has some issues. As it works right now, you can't get a gaurenteed Gaurd Break from a Parry, while Parrying a Heavy Attack gives you a free Light Attack, and Parrying a Light Attack gives you a free Heavy Attack.

In theory this is a balanced system, but in practice, we run across the issue of not all attacks being created equal. In some cases we have super fast Heavy Attacks that are very difficult to Parry but only reward you with a Light Attack (like Kensei's Dodge Heavy) while other classes have slow, predictable Light Attacks that are easy to Parry but still reward you with a free Heavy Attack (Like the Orochi Light Attacks.)

I'd like to propose an alternative: Instead of being based on the "type" of attack, a Parry reward should be based on how difficult the attack is to Parry.

For this to work, all attacks in For Honor that can be Parried would need to be given a "difficulty" rating based on things like how fast they are, how deceptive they are, and so on. There could be either two or three ratings depending on whether or not the devs want to reintroduce a way to Gaurd Break out of a Parry:

"Easy" attacks - highly telegraphed, slow, very directed moves that can't be be cancelled into other moves - reward the player with a free Light Attack.

"Difficult" attacks - fast or weirdly-timed attacks, attacks that have been redirected midway through being used, untelegraphed attacks, ect... - reward the player with a free Heavy Attack.

(Optional) "Very Difficult" attacks - lightning fast or highly deceptive attacks that are almost impossibly to predict or see coming - reward the player with a free Guard Break.

I feel that balancing the Parry risk/reward system around the skill required to pull off a Parry would be much more enjoyable all-around and would lend itself well to helping the game feel better and more "fair" to play.

Goat_of_Vermund
04-12-2018, 01:02 AM
I think that they should just change some things with certain characters. The orochi side dodge light should be a heavy because it's very slow and predictable, and the shaman's lightning fast lunge attacks should be light attacks because how fast they are (still feintable, but light attacks). If there were no ledge or wall, the guardbreak was a worse option for most characters than a raw heavy attack, some characters doesn't profit much from a wall (orochi for example, always gets the top heavy, but just the top heavy).

Veerdin-Wraith
04-12-2018, 07:55 AM
I think that they should just change some things with certain characters. The orochi side dodge light should be a heavy because it's very slow and predictable, and the shaman's lightning fast lunge attacks should be light attacks because how fast they are (still feintable, but light attacks). If there were no ledge or wall, the guardbreak was a worse option for most characters than a raw heavy attack, some characters doesn't profit much from a wall (orochi for example, always gets the top heavy, but just the top heavy).

This is pretty much what I'm suggesting. I've started levelling my Orochi up recently, and after having played a lot of Kensei just before, the imbalance is astounding. Especially concering the Orochi's Dodge Light vs the Kensei's Dodge Heavy.

Kensei is protected during the Dodge initially, able to Block and even Parry moves that come from that direction. Orochi's Deflection, on the other hand, is much less reliable and doesn't give as much reward if pulled off. Orochi's Dodge Light is faster from the outset, but the Kensei's Dodge Heavy deals more damage, has far more range, seems to have way better tracking, can be chained into a super quick Light Attack and has far better recovery.

All of this on top of Kensei's attack only resulting in a Light Punish if Parried, while Orochi's results in being Heavy Punished. Factor in that Kensei has far more HP and defense than Orochi and it's shocking how imbalanced they are.

Even compared to another Assassin who suffered during the reworks and parry changes - Peacekeeper - Orochi is left in the dust. PK's Dodge Heavy is pretty much as hard to counter as Orochi's Dodge Light, but again, only results in a Light Punish if Parried. It also seems to have much better range and tracking as well as being able to chain into a Light that inflicts Bleed.

Changing Parries to be based on tbe difficulty-to-counter vs being a simple Heavy/Light split would go a long way to balance these abilities. Orochi's weaker Dodge Light would be perfectly fine if it was a low risk move compared to Kensei and Peackeeper's Dodge Heavies, but due to the current Parry settings, it's actually a higher risk move for a lower reward. And it's not the only example, either.

Camemberto
04-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Good Idea! You should check out the post I made about Fundamental parry changes.
https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1869160-Fundamental-parry-changes!-More-dependent-on-attack-length
Mine only covers timing, but including factors like difficulty and damage is definitely a good Idea. But I think the rewards should not be relegated to categories, because I KNOW FOR A FACT, that it will still be unbalanced in favor of the season pass heroes, if you give the devs a choice to decide how "difficult" each attack is. Instead I would suggest some sort of formula or equation to determine the time reward.

Like T = A*Damage + B*(1000ms - Parry timing) + C*unblockable? + D*Tracking ... and so on.

of course these factors would have to be balanced well, but once they are, parry rewards should be way more consistent across the board.