PDA

View Full Version : Patch directory...noob question...

Hullebullen
10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok, here is a noobish question I've thought about for some time. Now that I recently bought PF it came to mind and I thought I'd shoot you guys a question about it...

Whenever I patched up my games IL-2/AEP before the patch created a new directory Ubisoft/program files/IL-2 Sturmovik (something like that)...but the game resides in Ubisoft/program/IL-2 Sturmovik.

Any reason to this...should I change it so the patch doesn't create the "program files" directory and installs in the "program" folder instead?

Hullebullen
10-26-2005, 08:07 AM
Ok, here is a noobish question I've thought about for some time. Now that I recently bought PF it came to mind and I thought I'd shoot you guys a question about it...

Whenever I patched up my games IL-2/AEP before the patch created a new directory Ubisoft/program files/IL-2 Sturmovik (something like that)...but the game resides in Ubisoft/program/IL-2 Sturmovik.

Any reason to this...should I change it so the patch doesn't create the "program files" directory and installs in the "program" folder instead?

Dunkelgrun
10-26-2005, 08:24 AM
The default directory is C:/Program Files/Ubi Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles so I don't quite know how you've got the 'program' folder between 'Ubi Soft' and 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles'.
If you copy and paste your entire 'IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles' folder into 'Ubi Soft' you could then delete 'program' from between the two.
Any patches should then install ok if you select the 'default' option.

Do NOT delete 'C:/Program Files'!!! all of your software is in it!

I should also create a system restore point before acting on my advice - I'd hate to be responsible for screwing up your system http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif.

Cheers!

Hullebullen
10-26-2005, 09:27 AM
Ugh...sorry, I should've looked more carefully at what I was typing...After installing FB+AEP+PF my default directory is C:/Program/Ubi Soft/IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten battles...however, when I install the patch/-es the default folder for the extracted files is C:/Program Files/Ubi Soft/IL-2 Surmovik Forgotten Battles.

Should I change the extraction destination to C:/Program instead of the default C:/Program Files?

Sorry for not being clear... http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/35.gif

Retrofish
10-26-2005, 09:36 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hullebullen:
Should I change the extraction destination to C:/Program instead of the default C:/Program Files? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

YES.

(svensk?)

Hullebullen
10-26-2005, 09:45 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">(svensk?) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jor√¬• http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/25.gif

Thanks for answering a poor noob's questions. It's really one of those things I've wondered about for some time but were too afraid too ask about (but I guess most people here are a bit older and won't scream "ZOMG!11! n00b!11!!" instead of giving polite anwers to dumb questions like mine http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/88.gif)...

Retrofish
10-26-2005, 10:09 AM
Ask away. Anyone using 1337 5P33|&lt; should be instantbanned IMHO TBH TY. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

major_setback
10-26-2005, 11:11 AM
Same here!
For some reason the whole IL2 series installs by default into 'program' on my computer, whereas all of the patches install by default into 'program files'!!!!

I always have to redirect patches/updates with auto-install. How many others have had this problem?

It's no real problem as it's easy enough to work around, but even so it ought to be looked into by UBI/Maddox. I imagine many people who just pick up PF etc. in the bargain-bin won't have the patience (to get things working) that regulars posting on this site have with this sim.

Retrofish
10-26-2005, 02:36 PM
I wonder what it would take to make the patch installer work the same way as the game installation works...I mean it should recognize the language of windows and the default installation path..Program Files/Program/Programme..etc.

Still, I like to have the option to choose whatever directory I want to extract the patch files to.

MC202zipper
10-26-2005, 04:40 PM
Hi!

It's the same in the italian version of FB..I have C:\Program files\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles and C:\Programmi\Ubi Soft\IL-2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles
Programmi is, of course, Programs in italian...I just realized that a couple of weeks ago when I managed to find (AT LEAST) Ace Expansion Pack that Ubi Soft is not distributing anymore on italian soil...(??? at least I was told this from two different resellers that had no more copies of AEP since Xmas time..).
When I went to install it and tried to patch I did notice that the version number in left lower corner of the loading screen wasn't changing...at first glance I thought of a small cosmetic bug like the number was not changing, later, as the new planes did not show up I started fiddling in my C root & I realized the patches were in the wrong folder...