PDA

View Full Version : What changed over the past months?

GladiatorHood
04-02-2018, 05:20 PM
Hi, I am an old (pretty damn good) for honor player that quit due to the issues that were playing back in the days.

Now that I am planning to get back to the game, i'd like to know the huge changes they made in the combat system and nerfs.

Can someone tell me some of the big nerfs/changes for honor has made over the past few months? I'd greatly appreciate it.

Veerdin-Wraith
04-02-2018, 06:00 PM
Broad spectrum, as far as I can tell from general consensus?

- Whole game is much more aggression focused, now, less about turtling up and waiting to parry people because parries aren't as good anymore (can't guaranteed GB off a parry)

- Most of the classes, in general, are pretty well balanced. Shaman is probably the most OP character, Centurion is either OP or UP depending on who you ask, but is still incredibly annoying. Kensei, Conqueror and Highlander got some much needed reworks/buffs and are super fun to play, so much so that older characters (like Warden and Raider) often feel super limited in comparison.

- Dedicated servers have been implemented, but the game still suffers some pretty severe connection issues even at the best of times, and there's no lag compensation yet.

- Steel and XP gain are still a load of hot garbage, and once you've completed your daily orders you might as well not bother trying to progress at a decent rate.

- Cosmetic items still cost way too much.

- There's some new maps, most of them are pretty cool, although The Gauntlet seems to have some optimization issues (at least for me)

- There's been a lot of new weapon skins and a truckload of ornaments, symbols and patterns, but no new armour sets - only variations on the base 3-4 sets that each character has.

- Lots of new emotes, effects and executions, which range between "Cool" to "Annoyingly bad".

All in all, there's an enjoyable game at the core of For Honor, still. I returned sort of recently myself, in fact. But don't expect all your frustrations to be gone.

CandleInTheDark
04-02-2018, 06:58 PM
Going more into the parry changes, heavy aprry guarantees a light, light parry a heavy, cgb is possible after a parry now. Parries move characters furtherso there is no long range weapon advantage stopping follow up attacks now.

Servers is a mixed bag, personally I have gone from I can't finish one match in five to I drop only a match in ten so in my case that is a huge improvement, others claim they have problems still. Lag comp, or the first try at it, comes for PC in the April patch,

Kensei and conqueror got new animations, berserker has had dance of paired blades greatly improved, highlander and nobushi had a balance pass in the same patch.

UbiInsulin
04-02-2018, 07:00 PM
Here are the patch notes for the fighter reworks and parry changes, if you'd like an exhaustive list: https://forhonor.ubisoft.com/game/en-ca/news-community/164-318557-16/patch-notes-v119 . Fair warning, it's kind of a lot.

GladiatorHood
04-02-2018, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I did notice the parry changes haha and my timing is way off.. From winning 9/10 duels I now win 5 out of 10. Complete garbage at the moment haha.

I do not like kensei anymore he's way to slow in my opinion.
The parry changes are weird to me, are all the heavies guarateed after a parry?

Veerdin-Wraith
04-02-2018, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the help guys, I did notice the parry changes haha and my timing is way off.. From winning 9/10 duels I now win 5 out of 10. Complete garbage at the moment haha.

Kensei weirded me out, too. But if you re-learn them, you might find yourself enjoying the class a lot. I never used to play Kensei, but they've grown on me in the past week and I've been levelling mine up.

As for Parries, IIRC, for most circumstances it goes like this: Parrying a heavy attack gets you a free light attack, parrying a light attack gets you a free heavy attack. There's some variations between classes, I think, but for the most part that's the general gist I think.

GladiatorHood
04-02-2018, 07:54 PM
Oh, alright I'll try to play kensei and not get salty :-)

Thanks for the info on the parry punishes.

Is the warden and Lawbringer still 50/50 with the bash? Either dodge or get guardbroken?

Veerdin-Wraith
04-02-2018, 08:01 PM
Oh, alright I'll try to play kensei and not get salty :-)

Thanks for the info on the parry punishes.

Is the warden and Lawbringer still 50/50 with the bash? Either dodge or get guardbroken?

Pretty much, yes, sadly.

Charmzzz
04-03-2018, 07:43 AM
Pretty much, yes, sadly.

No. Both are completely counterable on reaction. Stop telling people bs...

Warden SB:
- When he starts to charge: 400ms timeframe for him to cancel it or cancel it into GB.
- Simple counter: any 500ms or faster attack if you are right next to him.
- If you are some steps away: wait till he releases the SB as he cannot GB you anyway cause of the small range (cannot cancel into GB on the whole move...) and dodge it for a free GB.

Lawbringer Shove:
- After Shove he will either immediately Light attack or GB after a brief period of time.
- I dodge the Light on reaction (if on an Assassin you even get a Deflect) and anticipate the GB if he does not go for the Light.

Protos_88
04-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Pretty much, yes, sadly.

sadly u are low player... i play now warden and i can tell 1. to much dodge dmg...from enemy. bash is garbage for all dodge. its mean you will parry or lose...

Rikuto01.tv
04-03-2018, 08:13 AM

Kensei actually got faster. Much faster. But his new stuff isn't shown in the movelist ingame. You'll have to read up on the S5 patchnotes for a full breakdown.

If his top heavy seems ridiculously slow its because you can cancel it into like 7 different things now, including an unblockable attack with a free light followup. His zone attack also got much faster.

CandleInTheDark
04-03-2018, 08:54 AM
Also changed, afk timer is now 30 seconds for duel (and I think brawl) 45 seconds for 4v4 so don't stand there looking at pretty effects. I've personally never been kicked but apparently it has caught people out.

GladiatorHood
04-03-2018, 11:58 AM
Thanks for all of the information guys. I'll now try to get better at kensei.. again. (-:

Road to top 1 For Honor Player

Vakris_One
04-03-2018, 12:16 PM
Kensei actually got faster. Much faster. But his new stuff isn't shown in the movelist ingame. You'll have to read up on the S5 patchnotes for a full breakdown.

If his top heavy seems ridiculously slow its because you can cancel it into like 7 different things now, including an unblockable attack with a free light followup. His zone attack also got much faster.
He didn't get faster he just got given more mixups. He lost some of his fluidity but gained more mind games.

If you were a Kensei player before it'll take a bit of time to get used to the new one as he will feel much clunkier to you at first.

Jacques-Le-Coq
04-05-2018, 04:59 AM
Nothing that will bring back the 90,000 players it lost in the beginning. In its entirety it is still an game full of unbalanced heroes, spamming the same moves over and over again. Sure parry doesn't give a free GB anymore, but that hardly did anything to the turtle meta. Now everyone waits for parries still because trying to GB is almost useless unless you have a teammate alongside you or your opponent is a complete noob. Reworking Kensei and Conq didn't do much but make them into unstoppable power houses that are basically on par with Shaman if not worse. Conq spams running charge because he only needs to start running for about 1 second before he can initiate it. (not unlike warlords running shield charge that you can spam.) Kensei on the other hand just spams zone because its basically as fast as PK light.(Don't forget to throw in your unblockable feat for the extra salt.) Feats are still king amongst ending games. Don't need to worry about killing your teammate while hes tanking 3 people because revenge gain is still an obscenely broken stat, so go ahead and drop a catapult on their heads and watch your buddy walk out with more than 50% of his hp left. (Scratch that, you will most likely be on the receiving end of that catapult because the all godly veterans now play together because they know they can't be stopped.) There is also an abundance of laggers that hit you without even going through the animation, or just generally throwing attacks that go through your guard because you didn't change stance fast enough. (you actually did but it didn't register cuz yeah.) either its because lag compensation hasn't been added yet, or the person your fighting is in ****ing Russia or china and their ping is OVER 9000!......seriously though its really really REALLY lame. And I really believe there are hackers in this game using Autoblock, AutoGuardBreak. You ever have a Highlander Crushing Counterstrike your PK zone 3 times in a row? Or a LB survive an entire 4v1 onslaught blocking everything and parrying EVERY single attack your team throws at em? To conclude this monsterous wall of text that I wasted my time writing because I don't think anyone will truly care or just say "Git Gud". This game had true potential, the graphics are top notch, the effort put into character design an all the hubbub is quite amazing. Once every character gets a rework.(Which will probably take about 2 years.) this game will probably just be a spamfest of who can throw out their most op part of their kit over and over first wins. Mind you I was here during Closed Beta when everyone was a still a noob and the game was great fun. Now its a Headache that will make you want to throw your Computer and/or Console out the window before you finish 5 matches. I really hope Ubisoft will somehow pull a miracle out their *** and fix the game to where it will be a joy to play again. Until then I won't be returning to this game because its just not fun anymore, and my patience waiting for it to be is spent. GoodLuck warrior, you will need it.