PDA

View Full Version : Smoke Bombs, Hay Bales, and You

marq08
12-12-2011, 03:02 PM
Not long ago I had Zoidberg point out to me that a mechanic I was extremely familiar with in ACB no longer applied but I was certain I had accomplished it so I sat down to do extensive testing on the matter. I was commenting on the teleport+smoke counters thread that camping in a haybale then jumping out after the target throws their smoke will net you a kill. Apparently he had experienced otherwise

I decided to do extensive testing because I know I've done it (jumped out through a smoke). In some cases Zoidberg was right and that surprised me however in many cases I was still right.

Let's begin by presenting 3 simple cases.

1. The smoke is in the haybale

2. The smoke is at least one meter out of the haybale

3. The edge of the smoke hitbox collides with the haybale at some point.

In scenario 1 You are forced out of the haybale and you begin coughing no matter what you do.

In scenario 2 I have had mixed results. The exact range seems to matter drastically.

2a. If the person is in range but you have to cross more than half the smoke bomb to reach them you will cause the dodge animation and probably get a contested kill.

2b If they are in range and you press the button as the smoke deploys you will do the dodge animation and get stunned.

2c If they are in range and you press the button and they are on your half of the smoke bomb you will kill them with all bonuses (hidden, focus, whatever)

Scenario 3 is rather funny. If you try to roll out of the haybale you start choking no matter which direction you roll out. If you lock onto your target and press x you roll out and start choking. If you lock onto an npc in the distance and press x allowing the priority system to prioritize the high profile target you get your kill.

I plan to attempt much of the same testing with stun from a haybale when the opportunity arises

Zoidberg747
12-12-2011, 03:58 PM
Nice findings. I was arguing with Awkardly because he said that would happen in ACB. But in ACB no matter the range of the smoke bomb, you wouldn't be forced out.

Personally this makes breaking up stunlocks a heck of a lot harder.

marq08
12-12-2011, 08:26 PM
I never had the coughing thing happen in acb even when they dropped the smoke almost dead on top of me.

There is probably more testing to be done but I thought I would post what I had found for those of us who like to know the little properties and mechanics of the game whether intentionally designed that way or not. If anyone can find a more concrete reason for the 3 scenarios I noticed within scenario 2 I would be interested in any theories about that as well.

Metalsnake27
12-12-2011, 08:30 PM
I've seen situations where im in the middle of the "haybale kill" animation, only for the person inside the haybale to drop their smoke.... and then we both come out of the haybale and im coughing.

But these are interesting finds, i wanted to test haybales with smoke with my friend at some point.

Lethalla
12-12-2011, 08:36 PM
I was playing a game of MH earlier, where I jumped into a haybale from one end. My teammates approached from the long side, and their triggering of the Tripwire bomb forced me out of the haybale, but on the opposite side - which then as the target's dropped smoke didn't affect me, I was able to jump back into the haybale and pounce on one while it was still smoking.

It's a shame the Training Ground isn't better - ie with targets in moving blend groups or at least less smegging obvious than they are at the moment as well as pursuers, so that you can test things properly as well as learn both offense & defence. http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/16x16_smiley-indifferent.gif