PDA

View Full Version : Never played. Spring sale now. Should I start?

Noxterx
03-25-2018, 10:41 AM
Dear For Honor Veterans!

I am considering purchasing the game as it is on Sale at the moment.

I would have a few quesitons about this to you , hoping you can help me out. :)

1.) So first of all, I never played this game. I think you supposed to play it with a controller because it is better that way. I have an XBOX 360 controller, is that fine or not good enough?

2.) I will be an actual noob if started playing since I would not have any idea how the mechanics work or anything. I do not have a lot of free time as well, maybe like 10 hours a week MAX to play (or a little bit less like 7-8). Would I be able to enjoy the game? Like, I mean, will I have "sense of achievement" while playing? Or HOW HARD is to learn the game? To be able to kill someone? I like the KNIGHT faction, is there a good character to start off with? Which I can learn fairly easily and fast to be somewhat DECENT with it?

3.) I heard there was a thing in the past people literally purchasing levels or something. I do not know exactly what was that about, but tell me please, IN-GAME purchases are only cosmetic or FASTER XP/MONEY right? Like no in-game bonuses if you have a "cool armor" right? It just looks good, and thats it? Or what kind of in-game purchases are in the game at the moment?

4.) I guess there must be some kind of reward system in the game. In SIEGE, you play a game, you get RENOWN (in-game money) and with that you can unlock skins, or buy packs to get skins. How does the "reward system" works in THIS GAME? :)

Thats all for now.
I am looking forward to your answers guys.

Any advice, and ANSWER is really appreciated!

Have a nice day. :)

ChampionRuby50g
03-25-2018, 11:10 AM
1. When the game was been developed, it was developed with consoles in mind. I assume your a PC player, as too my knowledge FH isnít available on Xbox 360, and I honestly donít know if a 360 controller would be compatible with FH on the PC.

2. FH has a steep learning curve. And by steep I mean very steep. You will lose a lot starting off, as there is lots to learn and lots to get your head around. But it is a very fun game, and once youíve got the basics itís a lot easier to improve. If you do buy the game, I recommend you play the Campaign on Hard, and then realistic to really get a feel of the mechanics and fighting system, like partying and dodging. Youíll also get a chance to play a few heroes and see which one you like. For the Knights, you get to play as Warden, which is probably the easiest to learn and start with, and is also a lot of fun. Youíll also play Peacekeeper, and Lawbringer. Then I suggest you do practice against level 2-3 bots before jumping into multiplayer, because thatís another level. 4v4 is especially tough atm. But, once you kill players and see yourself progress, there is that sense of achievement youíre looking for.

3. In-game purchases is Steel, which you can use to buy champion status which gives you better XP gains and all that stuff, or stuff like effects, executions and outfits. You can not buy levels, all your leveling up has to be done manually, by grinding out games. Armour does have bonuses if you are playing 4v4 game modes, which you can use steel to buy, but the bonuses only get good and stronger if your hero is a high enough level. So for example if two Rep 1 players fought, and one had bought steel and used that steel for armour packs, he would have a slightly higher gear score, and thus a slight advantage. But at this level, the advantage is truly minuscule.

4. Similar to siege. Completing matches earns you steel, which is the in-game currency and I explained what you can do with that above. You do also receive loot in terms of new weapons and armour which improves how your hero looks, as well as the stats for 4v4.

Noxterx
03-25-2018, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your answer!

I would have 2 more questions if that is okay.

1.) Soo, yes I am a PC player. So an XBOX 360 controller is not good, then what should I get? :(
[UPDATE: I found that XBOX 360 is officially supported by For Honor, so this question is answered then. :) ]

2.) I read that some people having problems with their NAT. Back in time when Siege had the NAT thingy (2017 summer for example) I always had MODERATE NAT and got kicked out of games A LOT. Until they removed the NAT thing and now I can enjoy Siege.
I heard there are dedicated servers now in For Honor, but people saying there is still the NAT thing as well.
From my experiences in Siege back in the day, I would get MODERATE NAT here as well, and I do not know if that will be good enough or will I get kicked out randomly.
Any ideas on this matter?

ChampionRuby50g
03-25-2018, 11:42 AM
No problem at all mate.

So I see you found the answer to that 360 one already. If it works, it works and I donít see a problem, but it comes down to personal preference. For example, some would like a PS controller better than Xbox, and if I had a PC I would use a Xbox controller. I personally use a Xbox One Elite controller when I play on Xbox, as the paddles really help when it comes to button pressing.

2. NAT only counts for when you play against PvAi, so when you are playing against actual players it shouldnít effect your experience. There are dedicated servers, but itís a bit of a mixed expereince. Some players report they have a lot of trouble and disconnect and find some errors, while others say itís an absolute god send for connection and their problems. There is currently no lag compensation in the game though, which is a bit of a pain when t comes to fights and all of a sudden you are teleported back 3 seconds ago and take heaps of damage out of nowhere. But apparently, the first stages of the lag compensation are coming in the very next patch, but thereís no release date for that yet. I would hazard a guess at it been somewhere between 1-3 weeks away, but how well that compensation will work is anyoneís guess.

Card1acArrest
03-25-2018, 02:04 PM
it is a duel game, and if you like that, buy it. i love it.

if you like fighting team tactics it is also a very good game. (4v4)

if you play on PC: keyboard and mouse worked better than controller for me.

DKDridin
03-25-2018, 08:46 PM
Short answer: no. It is a cool concept that has been badly executed. The player base has already dwindled to mostly the die hard elitists. You will find yourself frustrated by the many many issues and lack of balance. Donít say I didnít warn you.

Dane520123
03-25-2018, 08:52 PM
Not even on sale would I have gotten this game if I knew how terrible it was going to turn out.

EDG_Avocado
03-26-2018, 12:12 AM
Not even on sale would I have gotten this game if I knew how terrible it was going to turn out.

if the game was 5$ I would consider it, right now its still not good enough to be worth 15 or w/e its worth atm

Please play tho OP, we need more players in this ded game

HazelrahFirefly
03-26-2018, 12:47 AM
The game is a wonderful and addicting disaster. Amazing combat flushed with broken balance issues left and right. I would not recommend playing but at the same time I play every day to the point that I haven't touched other games I've bought.

Satisfying? Hell yes. When you pull off a move on a tough opponent for the kill its a great feeling.
Hard? Even more so. I've won duel tourneys with two heroes, had 4v4s in which I went 20+ kills and 0 deaths... and I still have times where I feel like a noob.

The in-game purchases get a bad rep online. Its nothing like BF2 or Destiny 2. Its all cosmetic and, frankly, you can buy very little and still look boss.
When I say "buy" I mean with the in-game currency which can be earned via playing at an acceptable rate imo.

Burn-The-Sinner
03-26-2018, 12:51 AM
Do not buy this game, don't do it. Game is broken software-wise and game design-wise. If you commit, you will face nothing less than constant frustration and buyers remorse will haunt you forever. Game used to have nice things about it, that somehow managed to offset the poor implementation, but that is long gone and you wouldn't be able to catch it.

Game is a grind unlike any other fighter out there. It's extreme grind. It's so much grind that even devs stated that you're not supposed to unlock everything, as that is pretty impossible. Skins are meh, really meh. They lose their bling while playing, so in practice they just are worthless. With those 10 hours/week and your entry level, you'd be looking at 2 weeks/rep probably - maybe more.

What is rep? Reputation - character level. Max character level is 50. Final level gear happens at 7, final-final level gear at 9. That is how much grind you expect to have to do so that you can have on-par gear in a "competitive" fighter. Let me reiterate - you have to grind for gear in a COMPETITIVE online game. Not only that, you don't even have the full feats (powerful skills) available to you until rep 1.

Watch a bunch of For Honor twitch streams and channel that cash somewhere else.

HazelrahFirefly
03-26-2018, 01:02 AM
^
Um no, you're wrong. You can be Rep 0 level 1 and be fully competitive. Gearscore means jack, as does the gear you have. Its about skill far more so.

Also, the grind is FULLY cosmetic. Yes, you can buy gear crates, but you can also earn every piece that's in those crates. The stats mean nothing unless you change them counter to your playstyle, because wearing no gear is a balanced and fully playable hero.

ChampionRuby50g
03-26-2018, 01:14 AM
To all the people who are putting the game down, saying how bad it is and how much regret youíll have... why are you still here then? Itís something Iíll never get my head around, you all sound so miserable and itís obvious you donít enjoy playing, so why do you stick around on these forums?

Dane520123
03-26-2018, 05:12 AM
To all the people who are putting the game down, saying how bad it is and how much regret youíll have... why are you still here then? Itís something Iíll never get my head around, you all sound so miserable and itís obvious you donít enjoy playing, so why do you stick around on these forums? only reason I even touch this trash is because when the game was tolerable I got my cousin into it. I play with him when ever he feels like touching the trash and I also like reading game forums when Iím bored, WoW forums are the best and arenít dead like these. And to keep poor souls away from this disaster of a game, and company.

SaschoS
03-26-2018, 08:11 AM
We payed for it? and we want to maybe see if things will go for better and still I want to have some progress (concept is not that bad) and maybe we can then warn other people to stay out of it instead him buying trash

ChampionRuby50g
03-26-2018, 09:01 AM
Obviously you payed for it, but if I buy something and find out after, no matter how much time has passed, I get rid of it and move on. Not stay and sook on a online forum constantly day in day out and just look toxic.

Vakris_One
03-26-2018, 01:25 PM
Dear For Honor Veterans!

1.) So first of all, I never played this game. I think you supposed to play it with a controller because it is better that way. I have an XBOX 360 controller, is that fine or not good enough?

2.) I will be an actual noob if started playing since I would not have any idea how the mechanics work or anything. I do not have a lot of free time as well, maybe like 10 hours a week MAX to play (or a little bit less like 7-8). Would I be able to enjoy the game? Like, I mean, will I have "sense of achievement" while playing? Or HOW HARD is to learn the game? To be able to kill someone? I like the KNIGHT faction, is there a good character to start off with? Which I can learn fairly easily and fast to be somewhat DECENT with it?

3.) I heard there was a thing in the past people literally purchasing levels or something. I do not know exactly what was that about, but tell me please, IN-GAME purchases are only cosmetic or FASTER XP/MONEY right? Like no in-game bonuses if you have a "cool armor" right? It just looks good, and thats it? Or what kind of in-game purchases are in the game at the moment?

4.) I guess there must be some kind of reward system in the game. In SIEGE, you play a game, you get RENOWN (in-game money) and with that you can unlock skins, or buy packs to get skins. How does the "reward system" works in THIS GAME? :)

Thats all for now.

Hey there and welcome to the forum.

1) 360 controller is perfectly fine for this game, I've been using one myself until recently. Some of the best players use keyboard and mouse so it's just a matter of preference and what you're comfortable with.

2) The fighting mechanics are relatively simple to pick up and play but are hard to master. The learning curve is quite steep especially as you will be encountering veterans of the game depending on how unlucky you get with the matchmaking. I recommend completing the story campaign on hard and doing PvAI matches to start with before plunging into PvP matches. The single most important things to get to grips with first are parrying and counter guard breaking as those are two of the most significant skill gaps between new players and more experienced players.

How fast one becomes proficient is subjective and differs with each person. In my opinion if you're having fun then you'll eventually become better. The key to having fun in this game as a new player is to pace yourself and make sure not to plunge yourself straight into the Lion's den against veterans who can kill you in 4 quick moves. The game doesn't do a great job of matching new players with other players of their skill level so I recommend you build up your skill and confidence in PvAI matches before venturing out into PvP.

3) The game isn't pay to win thankfully. Everything is purchaseable with in-game currency called steel and you get steel from playing matches and completing the story mode. Mind you it can be very grindy if you want to buy a bunch of cosmetics for different characters. In-game purchases are only for cosmetic items such as emotes, executions, cosmetic outfits, effects like rainbow arches or ice crystals when you kill someone, etc and you can buy an XP boost with steel or with salvage obtained from scrapping unwanted weapons and armour.

4) You get weapons and armour after matches as well as steel and XP. The weapons and armour do have stats but the balance scale still favours skill over equipment stats.

2.) I read that some people having problems with their NAT. Back in time when Siege had the NAT thingy (2017 summer for example) I always had MODERATE NAT and got kicked out of games A LOT. Until they removed the NAT thing and now I can enjoy Siege.
I heard there are dedicated servers now in For Honor, but people saying there is still the NAT thing as well.
From my experiences in Siege back in the day, I would get MODERATE NAT here as well, and I do not know if that will be good enough or will I get kicked out randomly.
Any ideas on this matter?
All PvP modes are now on dedicated servers so your NAT type doesn't doesn't matter there. The PvAI modes (basically co-op against bots) are still peer to peer as far as I know.

Playing_Mantis
03-26-2018, 02:07 PM
HELL YEA! you should play this game. its really amazing despite all my rants about balance. the state of the game is for sure the best we've ever seen and the dedicated servers are amazing. you can tell the devs do care about the game...even tho they don't really listen too much and just do what they want... and they continue to add new content. i do however really think they need to start making new gear models and stop with the reskins. weapons are looking super amazing and the game is fun and smooth. get it now and don't be a toxic player!! if u want to win play zerker and if u want to lose play orochi or valk!!! :D

SpaceJim12
03-26-2018, 02:26 PM
Well, despite for now I really don't like game direction and have suspicion that game won't live long from now on, I still think you should buy it if you like concept.
Despite all balance troubles and and some doubtful reworks this game still have a lot to offer to a new player. It's cool chars design, best animation in multiplayer games so far (in my own opinion) and (if you will be lucky) some great emotes in 4v4.
And I'm with you in knight love. I have now all knight chars and I believe you will found you own style knight after their campaign. And I deffenetly advice you to try Gladiator. Avoid tthis char for some time, but now it's best assassin for me.
And worries about NAT should gone. PvP mode on dedicated servers now, that I should admit started works better. Last weekend I have only one connection lost issue from...20 games.
And I got no troubles play with mouse and keyboard. And if now someone offer me controller for this game I will be like O_O

The game isn't pay to win thankfully. Everything is purchaseable with in-game currency called steel and you get steel from playing matches and completing the story mode.

Game currency for sure can't buy you win at all, but you should remember, that in 4v4 there are gear stats, that you take from looted gear, that you use for char. And until you'll get at least 100 gear stats, guys with 180 gear have quite big advantage. And I'm afraid that playing 10 hour per week it will take time to reach 100 gear for even one char. I have not so much time to play, so when I started with my Warden (and some intresting chars for me) I had reached 108 gear stat (ceiling for S1) in the first month of S2. Game sometimes feel really grind based, but if you'll overcome this, you'll be fine.

SpaceJim12
03-26-2018, 02:30 PM
if u want to win play zerker and if u want to lose play orochi or valk!!!

Well, I played on my Orochi last weekend. 6 games for order, and must say he still feels just fine. Somewhere on this forum I already have thread where notice that every char is fine in proper hands.
Still, can't disagree that Zerk now really "press X to win" char. To easy, while some chars really need time to master.

RenegadeRasta
03-26-2018, 06:28 PM
Buy the game. Realize how trash it is. Sell the game.

Mia.Nora
03-27-2018, 12:06 AM
Dear For Honor Veterans!

Thats all for now.

1. Mouse has a problem with top guard stance, it jumps into side stances at the slight movement of mouse if sensitivity high. And if low, then it is not responsive. So a controller is much better than K&M. I strongly suggest a wired controller though. Timing is strict enough as is and game lacks lag compensation.

2. Matchmaking in For Honor is pretty much non existent. It consistently puts first group of available newbies vs a year long hardcore premade. Be prepared for a constant spree of landslide loses where your corpse will be teabagged everytime you die (I am serious..).

3. Orders give some steel, matches not so much. In a week or so you probably can afford 1 piece of ornament or emote or effect for one character. Otherwise you will need to pay real money roughly 5-7 (or more) US$ per cosmetic piece like emote or ornament or effect.

4. There is a story mode that unlocks the most simple ornament for each character. Nothing after that, but sometimes there are events that have a chance to drop event ornament/effect at random, so it is a huge grind if you have time.

Conclusion: I suggest you to buy a NON- digital copy. So that you can return it. Game has a myriad of issues that may make it more frustration than fun, and most of the issues are on company end combined with overly low population. People who suggest you buy regardless are the people who decided those problems are worth dealing with for the good part. There are many people who think otherwise. You wont know which category you will fall into, so make sure you buy a copy that you can return/resell if you end up in latter..

Dane520123
03-27-2018, 03:37 AM
hell yea! You should play this game. Its really amazing despite all my rants about balance. The state of the game is for sure the best we've ever seen and the dedicated servers are amazing. You can tell the devs do care about the game...even tho they don't really listen too much and just do what they want... And they continue to add new content. I do however really think they need to start making new gear models and stop with the reskins. Weapons are looking super amazing and the game is fun and smooth. Get it now and don't be a toxic player!! If u want to win play zerker and if u want to lose play orochi or valk!!! :d

i couldnt tell if this post was sarcastic or not but then u said ď dedicate servers are greatĒ i knew u was bein sarcastic because the servers are still ****.

ChampionRuby50g
03-27-2018, 05:45 AM
i couldnt tell if this post was sarcastic or not but then u said ď dedicate servers are greatĒ i knew u was bein sarcastic because the servers are still ****.

Or, maybe, playing_mantis is one of those people that Dedicated Servers have worked wonders for? Wow, who wouldíve known that because something happened to you it doesnít mean itís happened to everyone else?!?

DKDridin
03-28-2018, 10:13 PM
Or, maybe, playing_mantis is one of those people that Dedicated Servers have worked wonders for? Wow, who wouldíve known that because something happened to you it doesnít mean itís happened to everyone else?!?

Except it does happen to everyone else.

Archeun
03-28-2018, 10:16 PM
Short answer: Absolutely not. The game concept is amazing but the current state of the game is unacceptable. As a new player; you will get destroyed by players and the cheese that is everywhere.

ChampionRuby50g
03-29-2018, 01:01 AM

Got the stats and factual evidence to prove that?

Vakris_One
03-29-2018, 02:25 AM
I've had a grand total of 1 match disconnect since dedicated servers got put in so, nope. It doesn't happen to "everyone".

Short answer: Absolutely not. The game concept is amazing but the current state of the game is unacceptable. As a new player; you will get destroyed by players and the cheese that is everywhere.
So pretty much every online PvP game ever invented then.

HazelrahFirefly
03-29-2018, 02:28 AM
Only one game dropped here as well, and I played a SHŅT TON during the double xp weekend.

ChampionRuby50g
03-29-2018, 06:45 AM
Huh, so I guess it doesnít happen to everyone else. Whaddya know? 🤣

guor6800
03-29-2018, 09:52 AM
Huh, so I guess it doesnít happen to everyone else. Whaddya know? 🤣

No it doesn't happen to everyone. But I can see a vast number of complaints both here and in reddit. So still connectivity is not in an appropriate level for a AAA title.

As for the op with so little time available I suggest that you should pass on this one. Doesn't worth spending this few hours you get to relax between matchmaking and error screens. Sometimes the game runs smooth af but the very next day it's trash. And vice versa

ChampionRuby50g
03-29-2018, 10:15 AM
No it doesn't happen to everyone. But I can see a vast number of complaints both here and in reddit. So still connectivity is not in an appropriate level for a AAA title.

As for the op with so little time available I suggest that you should pass on this one. Doesn't worth spending this few hours you get to relax between matchmaking and error screens. Sometimes the game runs smooth af but the very next day it's trash. And vice versa

I was never denying that there was still problems, I was just simply denying that everyone was having problems and issues with servers, and that they suck.

For me, personally, I still have problems and drop outs with servers. They donít work flawlessly for me, but I know that is through no fault of Ubisoft. It is because my internet is sub par, and maxes out at 12 M/bs a second. I still have ADSL 2+, which is pre-historic basically. This is not because I donít want to get better internet, itís because It simply isnít available to me yet. Australia has worse internet capabilities than Kazakhstan, and only in the next few months is the government installing broadband network in my area, and it is only then I can upgrade and get better speeds. Speeds that will still be behind the rest of the world sadly.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 10:39 AM

When dedicated servers were released, I have a lot of disconnections. I can't finish 50% matches. And I played a week ago, have only one disconnection issue in 5 hours of play. So, even if on release dedicated servers were pretty messy, now they for sure work better.

guor6800
03-29-2018, 12:49 PM
I was never denying that there was still problems, I was just simply denying that everyone was having problems and issues with servers, and that they suck.

For me, personally, I still have problems and drop outs with servers. They donít work flawlessly for me, but I know that is through no fault of Ubisoft. It is because my internet is sub par, and maxes out at 12 M/bs a second. I still have ADSL 2+, which is pre-historic basically. This is not because I donít want to get better internet, itís because It simply isnít available to me yet. Australia has worse internet capabilities than Kazakhstan, and only in the next few months is the government installing broadband network in my area, and it is only then I can upgrade and get better speeds. Speeds that will still be behind the rest of the world sadly.

I totally understand that. But from my point of view with approximately 100mbps download speed I can't believe that the problem is on my end.

Still you can't group up with a friend and join a session without either one dropping. This problem still occurs and for me this is not acceptable.

My main problem is what I said before. One day everything working as intended and the game rolls smoothly. But few hours later you can't even join a session.

When dedicated servers were released, I have a lot of disconnections. I can't finish 50% matches. And I played a week ago, have only one disconnection issue in 5 hours of play. So, even if on release dedicated servers were pretty messy, now they for sure work better.

I never denied that we 're making progress. But that progress is coming in a really slow motion that most people got bored getting empty promises. Even dedicated ones.

This game could have been from goty to top 3 fighter games ever. It's potential were of the charts. Nowadays it's just an example of how not to develop a title 😃

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 01:41 PM
This game could have been from goty to top 3 fighter games ever. It's potential were of the charts. Nowadays it's just an example of how not to develop a title ��

Well, for now we have only two real lines of For Honor's future. First, we see some big, cool changes in next season, that could bring players back to the game, or there will be nothing special to see in Season 6 and that will become a point where game will start slowly come to the end.

And while I'm afraid that we will see second scenario, I still hope we could see first one.

guor6800
03-29-2018, 02:20 PM
Well, for now we have only two real lines of For Honor's future. First, we see some big, cool changes in next season, that could bring players back to the game, or there will be nothing special to see in Season 6 and that will become a point where game will start slowly come to the end.

And while I'm afraid that we will see second scenario, I still hope we could see first one.

So exactly the same thing that is happening for the past 5 seasons. Always something cool to hype people(and grab cash), usually delivered late or kinda broken.

Their biggest problem is that the premade stuff and champions they have prepared for season pass have reached an end. Don't expect any new champions or game modes. Even if they do so it will be in 2-3 seasons.

If I hope?Not really. I just wish some other company will pick up the idea and deliver something better. Ubisoft had a rough diamond in their hands and failed miserably to make it shine.

SpaceJim12
03-29-2018, 02:27 PM
Their biggest problem is that the premade stuff and champions they have prepared for season pass have reached an end. Don't expect any new champions or game modes. Even if they do so it will be in 2-3 seasons.

It's true, that's why I said that content in season 6 will show us real situation. If there will be more cheap stuff like effects and recolors for armor, players will understand that there are nothing devs do last year. But I don't really think we need new chars. Game modes for sure, but most - customization. Something deeper and better than spiked old armor and two-three new blades for sword. Devs need to rework whole model of customization and bring something new to it. It will help to improve monetization and give new content. In multiplayer games nowadays cosmetic are a big part of gameplay. And For Honor, that have so great visual need something in this way so much.