PDA

View Full Version : More newbei questions

Churruca1977
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
- How do I use the radar? whats its effectiveness? why is there a option to switch it off?

-I´m now on march 1942 but the latest submarine is still the model VIIC is that normal? (I´m still using the VIIB full upgraded....engine, sonar..etc.)

- What are the promotions for?

thxs in advance

-

Churruca1977
12-10-2006, 04:51 PM
- How do I use the radar? whats its effectiveness? why is there a option to switch it off?

-I´m now on march 1942 but the latest submarine is still the model VIIC is that normal? (I´m still using the VIIB full upgraded....engine, sonar..etc.)

- What are the promotions for?

thxs in advance

-

lecek
12-10-2006, 11:10 PM
The radar can be used by both you and your crew man. You can find more out about its use at the community manual here: http://www.communitymanuals.com/shiii/index.php?title=Locating_Targets#Radar

You want to be able to switch it off because when it is on it acts like a beacon to enemy ships and aircraft. They can home in on it. In general it is a good idea to only use it when you know there is a target out there somewhere.

In the high waves, the radar might get doused and turn off on its own. So if the winds are very high, don't think that the radar is running continuously.

To turn off the radar use the switch at the radar screen. Get their with the 'R' key. Don't use your crew man's order to turn it off. There is a bug and he won't do it. So you will think that the radar is off but in reality it is letting of beacon signals to any enemy warship or plane that just happens to pass near you.

The VIIC is the latest VII sub out until 1944. If you wanted an IX sub, bigger but less maneuverable, then you need to transfer to a flotilla that has it. Like the 2nd for example.

Promotions for yourself have no effect whatsoever. Promotions for your crew affect various performance stats such as his hit points. For example, if he gets shot while manning the flak gun, he will receive some damage points. If he gets more damage points then his hit points he dies. Otherwise he is just injured and you might be able to save him. It affects other things as well. In general, you want to promote your crew as much as you can. It is a good idea to start with the higher ups and work your way down.

The same is true for the medals, which also affect many of the same stats. The German Cross in Gold makes its wearer immune to fatigue for example.

The exact effect of these things depends on mods.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

100K Club Member

Jose.MaC
12-11-2006, 01:10 AM
http://forums.ubi.com/images/smilies/agreepost.gif
Anyway, german radar is not as efficient as the allied one. You'll get better info depending on radar detector rather than in your own radar.

Churruca1977
12-11-2006, 03:45 AM
thank you very much!

I usually keep the same crew config trough all a patrol..and sometimes they go red exclamation (i think thats they r tired). Is there a way to rotate them so they can rest?

Messervy
12-11-2006, 04:38 AM
One lemming at the time.
You have to do it manualy.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/Messervy/U-251ShortNoswastika.jpg

lecek
12-11-2006, 10:37 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Churruca1977:
thank you very much!

I usually keep the same crew config trough all a patrol..and sometimes they go red exclamation (i think thats they r tired). Is there a way to rotate them so they can rest? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your sub has crew quarters. There are two of them. (They are the only rooms without efficiency bars on top of them.) Move the fatigued crew into those rooms and they will recover. Everyone you are not using should be in those rooms. So your VIIC when on the surface for example should have 4 crew and one officer on lookout, 3 guys and at least 2 officers (Nav and Chief but not Weapons.), two guys in the radio/sonar room, and a maxed out engine room. If you then have max crew you will fill up both crew quarters and have 5 guys left you will have to stick somewhere. Usually I stick them in the forward torpedo room.

Your officers are a little hard to keep fresh as there are only two spots for them in crew quarters. But once you give them a German Cross in Gold, they don't need to be rested anymore. (Same is true for the rest of them.)

A word about your engine room. They switch over from room to room when you dive or surface. Sometimes you will notice that they don't all switch. All seamen (guys in blue) will switch. Petty Officers/Officers (guys in brown) will only switch if they have a machinist rating.

-You can switch crew by dragging them around.

-You can swap crew by dragging one over the other.

-You can swap crew by clicking on the target room title, and then clicking on the crew one at a time. (I don't remember which ones to right click/left click on. You know you are getting it when the target room's title stays highlighted.)

-You can swap whole rooms to empty rooms by the same method above, clicking title to title.

-You can man an empty room by double clicking on its title. You might then have to move extra crew in as it will be manned to minimum levels.

I keep an alternate crew for the aft engine room in the aft crew quarters. When they get tired, I just move the whole engine room to the other engine room, move the fresh crew into the newly vacated engine room, move the tired crew to rest. Whole operation takes about 2 seconds.

There is a bar above each room (except crew quarters.) that gives you an idea of that rooms efficiency. The bar needs to be at least half full for the room to work. Higher levels (3/4th level and full) improve performance of that room.

So if your watch crew has a low bar, they are not going to see ships as quick as they normally would. If that bar is less then half, then you are not going to see a ship that is shooting at you from point blank!!! Err so goes the theory actually. I have never been dumb enough to test it.

Finally, the sub comes with crew config buttons. I don't recommend you use them. Besides some ppl talking about bugs that crash the system, it doesn't optimize your crew anywhere near as well as you can.<div class="ev_tpc_signature">

100K Club Member