PDA

View Full Version : An idea to fix a problem on what some community members want.

Ianoneshot
03-23-2018, 02:41 AM
Remember when Ubi was going to do this for a beginning of dominion back in 2014-2015?
https://j.gifs.com/rRNpN6.gif
https://j.gifs.com/BL7v7J.gif

Well after the GDC of 2017 people saw that and were like, 'hey I want that!' I was thinking... "Well how would Ubi re-implement this?" I think I have a solution.

You know in the loading screen were your team and the enemy team has a staring contest? Well I thought of something else, in that your character is idle, you can spam emotes- and stuff like that- or you can just do a pre-set animation like you bashing your shield or somethin. Then in the background... if your a defender or attacker you will be at your spawn area (However you only see a little bit of it because you cant fit the entire map into there). So there will be minions there with you shouting stuff like "OPEN THE GATES" while the other says "FOR HONOOOORRRR!" or something like that while their bashing their shields. While that is happening the map will load all the way. Then when it's finished there will be a 10-second countdown were every minion starts to get louder and bashing their shields. Then it transitions into the beginning cut-scene.

That's how that concept from 2015 can be possibly implement that feature into the game.

bob333e
03-23-2018, 02:54 AM
Upvoted and seconded.

Couple this with the suggestions in Candle's recent thread, and we'd have one hella good time in massive game modes in For Honor. Though your suggestion on its own is definitely easier to implement, since it's a loading cutscene with the ability to somewhat control your hero, rather than an entirely new game mode. Still, I like it. Very much so.

Ianoneshot
03-23-2018, 03:06 AM
Upvoted and seconded.

Couple this with the suggestions in Candle's recent thread, and we'd have one hella good time in massive game modes in For Honor. Though your suggestion on its own is definitely easier to implement, since it's a loading cutscene with the ability to somewhat control your hero, rather than an entirely new game mode. Still, I like it. Very much so.

Cool! Can you direct me to Candle's thread please?

bob333e
03-23-2018, 03:11 AM
Cool! Can you direct me to Candle's thread please?

Sure thing!

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1858199-My-rough-attempt-at-a-game-mode-idea

Edit: whoops, just saw you're already there ahah.

Tyrjo
03-23-2018, 09:54 AM
Instead of something cool like this, we are forced to see the same match start video sequences over and over again with the same C-tier dialogue. :nonchalance:

Ianoneshot
03-23-2018, 12:57 PM
Instead of something cool like this, we are forced to see the same match start video sequences over and over again with the same C-tier dialogue. :nonchalance:

I thought of this as like that area were you same emotes is the loading screen, the dominion intro stays the same however it would make a nice spice.

Vakris_One
03-23-2018, 03:55 PM
Upvoted and seconded.

Both ideas are great and exactly the kind of experience that For Honor needs to move towards if Ubi expects to keep people's interest in this game for another year. Slowly releasing reworks and/or new heroes without actually updating, refining or adding to the core premise of the gameplay will only go so far before people just drop out due to boredom and burnning out on doing the same old stuff.

Ianoneshot
03-24-2018, 03:25 AM
Both ideas are great and exactly the kind of experience that For Honor needs to move towards if Ubi expects to keep people's interest in this game for another year. Slowly releasing reworks and/or new heroes without actually updating, refining or adding to the core premise of the gameplay will only go so far before people just drop out due to boredom and burnning out on doing the same old stuff.

What about this is Ubi being slow? They give freaking weekly content. What other game does that? Also they do cool stuff, like right now is Realistic Dominion 2.

bob333e
03-24-2018, 09:58 PM
What about this is Ubi being slow? They give freaking weekly content. What other game does that? Also they do cool stuff, like right now is Realistic Dominion 2.

Weekly content that matters little, means little, is little work for them, and is more lowkey jabs at Steel microtransactions (can't remember when was the last time they released weekly content that was free of charge). I, for one, certainly cannot consider these Van Gogh / Picasso / Impressionist / Futurist / Abtract neogeopatternwhatever outfits or half-arsed effects or more silly ornaments to hold any meaning in accordance with the lifetime of this game. And they keep adding more costly stuff to the already overpriced in-game market while keeping the Steel gain stale.

Instead of, you know, releasing major bug fixes every week, some reworks / rebalances every 2 weeks, maybe some arena dev footage showing how it's being done and that it's nearing completion, improving in-game customization options, addressing the inventory management / transmog problem, addressing feats, addressing the newly rising AFK inactivity problems, addressing the disappearing weapons bug, improving the Ranked Modes, adding new armors, or tending to the Singleplayer, or giving us a roadmap for the entire year.... nah, why bother. Let's just throw some geometric abstract keksie outfits and fireworks and some quickly-made ornaments worth in the thousands because that's all our playerbase cares about. And then fill the blanks with memes to satisfy Reddit.

Realistic Dominion is still Dominion. Think of it as a "public Custom Match". You can go into Custom Match and mimic the exact case of Realistic Dominion. Nothing special. Not a new game mode, and nothing that took work to implement.

Dance Of Death is still Brawl. All they had to do is alter the death and respawn rules. And they won't even keep it as permanent.

Ice Brawler is still Brawl. All they had to do was chop off a portion of the Valkenheim map from the story mode, specifically the spot where you fight Thornfinn.

Test Your Metal was more worked on. They altered the maps by closing off 90% of ledges and they did a good job bringing most of the story NPCs and bosses together, and fitting them onto bot rigs so that they can run around and pick powerups and revive each other. But, that mode wasn't meant to stay. They take it away again to use it as hype train to make you play the game again when they make it available again. Effectively using actual new and interesting modes to shepherd the playerbase into playing their game. Aside from the forced Steel / XP grind through expirable orders and severely limited Double XP / Extra Steel events, that is.

They tell you it's because it would split the playerbase too much. Yet they don't care how their Ranked Modes are barely populated, the Deathmatch playlist is largely avoided, and Dominion being plagued with poor balancing, and being a poor game mode in itself. And XP / Steel gain in duels being like a living crawling scarab under your skin, The Mummy style.

Let me also point something out: For Honor has no direct competitor in the market. As such, they can get away delivering sub-par content, half-arsed buggy (and recycled) effects, out-of-place emotes (sports, memes) and buggy free emotes (I am war), milking Steel purchases, being deliberately slow on the updates / reworks / bug fixes / major new content. Why work hard when there's no other game out there directly challenging the new type that For Honor has introduced. People will still play the game anyway regardless of how slow they go at it.

It's not about what other game does that; it's that they dug themselves down this hole. Forced to release some garbage every week for the sake of releasing something, else the playerbase will quickly get annoyed at the lack of new content, because initially, no long-term content is being made, it's all expendable stuff. There's nothing being made right now that's actually improving this game overall. The last two things they did that actually contributed to the long-term health of this game were 1) the parry changes on season 5 release (and that took a year) and 2) patching out Conq's exploit roughly 9 days into season 5. Since then, nothing happened.

I cannot comment on dedicated servers because many people are reporting either worse or as-is experiences, and haven't exactly had a better time myself because I largely play duels and brawls, and these servers introduced way more lag and now I have to wait till end of season 5 for the lag compensation to kick in. And even then, considering how everything they release / implement is buggy, doubt it's gonna shine on day one. It's gonna take 4 more months to actually work as intended.

The reworks, bar Kensei, aren't exactly shining either. They increased the overall cancer of this game, notably in 4v4s, all while still not addressing how their 4v4 modes are poorly designed and are largely unblockable gankfests. Zerker takes the cancer cake, followed by Conq, followed by Highlander's new Caber Tossminator, and then Nobushi's ultra fast kick. And Kensei's new zone attack is cancer too.

They tell you they're going to revise the backdodging abuse. But they specifically said, "backdodge changes across the board". Effectively also nerfing the non-assassin backdodges, I should guess; so what would change? remains to be seen though. The parry changes were very nice (and long overdue), so there's hope they'll get the backdodge fixes right.

We're already late March, they got two months left before season 5 ends, doubt they're gonna release 10 reworks in 2 months. They might address the re-rebalancing of the new reworks, nothing's confirmed. And the arena, they tell you they need to recertify the game but I think this is a BS excuse. I firmly believe it's because they're working up a plan to turn it into some event where they'll throw more [out-of-place] limited-time things worth tons of Steel to rip off the playerbase even further, because, you know, arena hype.

So you see, friend, as someone who's always been skeptical about what they hype you with or what they say in the Dens (which I stopped watching as well), based purely on their actions, I cannot promise you that they are working hard on this game; because they're not. They're taking it lightly and being intentionally slow, because there's no hot competition. And we suffer in the meantime. And the poor Community Representatives have to take the bulk of the outrage.

Don't get me wrong; I do love the game. What I deeply hate with excruciating contempt, is their laziness and their lack of will at putting heartfelt work and passion into this game. To them, this title is already a dying horse. It's mostly recycles, Steel milking, and more cancerous combat mechanics. With minimal actual QoL changes / updates / improvements.

I apologise for the long text. Though I hope this kind of, more or less, answered your question as to why Ubisoft is slow on several terms, regarding For Honor.

ChampionRuby50g
03-25-2018, 01:39 AM
Hear hear Fady. You’ve said exactly how I feel, without me knowing that was how I feel. You’ve put it into words perfectly, and if I had my laptop out id upvote you. But mobile, for whatever reason, doesn’t allow for it.

Vakris_One
03-25-2018, 05:03 AM
Fady said it all already but I'll give my view on it as well.

The weekly content is nice and all but it's 99% cosmetic stuff like effects, emotes and outfits that require only a minumum of effort to code. It's simply adding more and more fluff for players to burn through that steel they grind so painfully slowly for so they can keep the steel microtransaction train going.

The only significant and worthwhile cosmetic content releases are executions and they only do those at the end of each Season, not each week. It doesn't really matter what other game does this or not as this actually isn't that much of an impressive feat to accomplish. I know an indie dev studio called Frontier that releases weekly cosmetic content in their store for their game called Elite Dangerous. For Honor isn't anything special or unique in this regard.

I would rather Ubi release quality content and significant updates such as new maps, new game modes, new story mode content and fighting mechanic updates like the parry changes every 3 to 4 months regularly rather than stocking up their microtransaction storefront every week.

Realistic Dominion is exactly the same game mode we've been playing since day one except that the UI is turned off and there's no gear stats or revives. And it's not even a permanent mode. Fady already explained it so I don't need to go in-depth as to how truly lazy this kind of thing is. I call it "content-substitute".

When the developers run out of ideas or are just being lazy they grab an already existing piece of content, tweak 2 or 3 parameters, maybe spend 10 minutes in Photoshop to change the block colours of the NPCs (if they're really feeling frisky) and then release it as "a brand NEW and exciting game mode!" But it's really the exact same game mode just with some custom parameters - back in the day when games weren't online only we could set up our own custom matches exactly like this. Remember the Golden Gun 1 shot kill mode in Goldeneye multiplayer? Fun times.

Ubi has been dragging its feet with the development of this game since its release and is still playing catch up to this day because of the botch job that was launching without dedicated servers. By now we should have had at least 3 brand new, never before seen game modes and Ranked modes that didn't still have "Beta" next to their names.

We should have gotten the parry changes half a year ago. Inventory space should have been increased by now. Lag compensation is AWOL with no word on a possible eta. No sign of when the arena and practice modes are coming. There are sound and graphical bugs that have been here since Season 3. Female Orochi still makes no sound when she taunts. We still cannot see what heroes our teammates have picked in 4v4s. The memory leak and having to close For Honor via Task Kill on PC is still not fixed, etc, etc...

I mean some of this is basic stuff that most games release a patch for within the first 2 weeks after an update. Where are the weekly bug fixes? Where are the weekly or fortnightly patches? Not being able to close the game properly on PC for a whole goddam month. From a triple A studio? That's just sad. What about any of this is an example of the developers acting with any kind of urgency to fix the issues? Instead we get 2 weeks of Warriors Den livestreams making no mention of when or if these things will be fixed but hey, we'll just watch some meme videos pulled from Reddit, gg.

EvoX.
03-25-2018, 06:10 AM
Really cool idea.

SaschoS
03-25-2018, 07:40 AM
Man this is too hard for devs. And why would they waste time with this while the game has really bad major issues?

BlowHard74728
03-25-2018, 08:30 AM
Everything Fady just said left a bitter taste in my mouth. He hit it on the head of the nail. For Honor is in a constant never ending state of "could be". As in "oh just give it some time" or "anytime now the devs will actually turn this game around". At what point do we finally stop waiting for this game to get off its a** and at least get onto its knees.

The weapon disappearing bug has been in this game for what 3 seasons? The ladders are still buggy. Through this whole year we only recieved 1 new gamemode. The new servers havent done anything for me (but it has improved others). The "I am War" emote is still buggy and its been out for a month (for god sakes the sword still doesnt show up for pk).

Dominion is a spiraling chute of complete crap at this point its a matter of who packs more unblockables or HA in a group fight. Or who can throw the first bomb. And are the reworks going to take a whole year for the 12 original heros? Honeslty if the reworks are going to be a copy and paste of beserker or kensei I dont want them. But hey despite all these issues we still get weekly memes right?

EDIT: Oh look another known issue still hanging around. The forum spam!

Ianoneshot
03-31-2018, 08:39 PM
Man this is too hard for devs. And why would they waste time with this while the game has really bad major issues?

I didn't say they should implement this right now. I'm fine if it comes out next year or something.

Ianoneshot
04-01-2018, 04:50 PM
You talked garbage about Conq. You got no ideea how nerfed he got, if you cant dodge him you're plainly bad. His heavies are delayed he can barely land one and only when he throws someone in a wall. After running shield bash he cant land a heavy anymore, he cant punish too much, its difficult to play conq in higher ranks. His tools are little and limited, shield bash is what saves him a little but it can be easily dodged, it can be punished if you got the skills. They should buff him a little to be able to punish a lil more. Shield bash doesnt even drain stamina, they stripped him of what he had good and left him with only 2-3 tricks, and only one that is actually helpfull in higher ranks.

... What? I didn't say anything about conqueror. You probably got the wrong guy here.

UbiInsulin
04-01-2018, 09:39 PM
... What? I didn't say anything about conqueror. You probably got the wrong guy here.

They also responded to the Conq balance thread, so I think this was just an innocent mistake.

Anyhow, I love the idea of a pre-match hype session. I don't know about the technical feasibility of replacing pre-match loading with this idea, but it would be neat if possible.