PDA

View Full Version : tips on planes wanted for practise

alphalvr
06-26-2006, 02:57 PM
hi im currently setting up a QMB with me in a `LA5F 1943` and i set up 3 enemies on VETERAN at 3000 feet, no advantage.

ive been givin the enemies bf109`s (various models) spitfires (the early model) and various other planes but i just cant keep on their *** http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

what id like is for me to be in a average plane so im not learning with the best (is the LA5 a good choice) and the enemies to be in somthing i can outmanouvre so i can practise.

then when i can take them out i want to give them a better plane and so on.

could a experienced dude suggest a range of planes for me to practise against.

ps ive practised with bombers, i can kill them....its just the planes that move out the way that are the problem. currently i get shot while im pursuing by one of the 3 vets. i dont want to give em zero ammo as they just run away and i have to chase em http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ive invested heavily in this. fb,aep,pf,pe-2, cyborg evo force, and ive even ordered a track ir 4 pro.....i just wish i could fly

oh im using olegs joystick settings.

please suggest some planes for me to kill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kind regards

alphalvr
06-26-2006, 02:57 PM
hi im currently setting up a QMB with me in a `LA5F 1943` and i set up 3 enemies on VETERAN at 3000 feet, no advantage.

ive been givin the enemies bf109`s (various models) spitfires (the early model) and various other planes but i just cant keep on their *** http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

what id like is for me to be in a average plane so im not learning with the best (is the LA5 a good choice) and the enemies to be in somthing i can outmanouvre so i can practise.

then when i can take them out i want to give them a better plane and so on.

could a experienced dude suggest a range of planes for me to practise against.

ps ive practised with bombers, i can kill them....its just the planes that move out the way that are the problem. currently i get shot while im pursuing by one of the 3 vets. i dont want to give em zero ammo as they just run away and i have to chase em http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif

ive invested heavily in this. fb,aep,pf,pe-2, cyborg evo force, and ive even ordered a track ir 4 pro.....i just wish i could fly

oh im using olegs joystick settings.

please suggest some planes for me to kill http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

kind regards

bazzaah2
06-26-2006, 04:32 PM
the basic problem is that the AI 'cheats' and has advantages over you due to the simplified FM that it uses, but the La5 is a good plane and as good a place as any to start. The AI's behaviour is largely scripted amd so after a short while you soon learn how to shoot them down; best to go online if you want a decent challenge.

For shooting practice I use Ju88s. Beware the snipers though and be careful with the angles you attack from.

Maybe turn the AI down to average and you should find that a bit more manageable pro tem.

cam1936
06-26-2006, 04:38 PM
yeah if your having troble with the vets just bring em down to average and put them in a plane with poor manuverability, then once you start shooting them down move them to a better plane, then move the difficulty up and so on.

Sillius_Sodus
06-26-2006, 04:54 PM
You can also practice on aircraft that don't maneuver as well as the 109 or Spit. Try it against the Mig-1, P-39 or -40 (I know, I know, some will disagree with my choice, but these a/c are no problem for a 109). If you don't want to get shot down during practice, make sure you set their loadout as "empty", that way they can't shoot back. Finally, try reducing the number of opponents. Start with 1, when you can consistently beat that, go to 2, 3, etc.

The LA-5 is a good choice, easy to fly, very maneuverable and it has decent armament but not the best ammo load so you might want to set your ammo at unlimited until you get the hang of shooting but to make it a useful learning tool, limit your bursts to 1 second or less.

The only downside to using the LA-5 is that it does not appear until 1943 so if you are flying an early war campaign you may have to fight a little differently.

Good hunting,
Sillius_Sodus

RCAF_Irish_403
06-27-2006, 02:15 AM
drop AI to Average and use energy fighting tactics...then work your way up

LA5 is a good beginner ride...also try Hurricane, P40's, zeros, spits and 109's

general_kalle
06-27-2006, 03:19 AM
hurricane is way too week

alphalvr
06-27-2006, 04:46 PM
thanks for the tips.

online is my ultimate objextive but ive just learned what `E` is so im just tryin to get in a position where i can at least manouvre my crate to some degree.

thanks for the plane tips, ill try them for target practise.

last night i changed from 3 enemy vets to just 1 vet. this has helped me no end but i liked multiple planes for the target rich enviroment and the fact that its forcing me to become situation-ally aware (well that was the idea)

intresting on the comments of the la5`s armanent. i agree on bombers its weaponry seems much better than the p51`s machine guns but against fighters it seems blooming hard to hit anything and it has no tracers. in fact it almost looks like it shoots 2 shots every 2 secs (even though a zillion cartridges fall out the bottom???) anyone else noticed this? (i know it fires more as ive shot at the ground and seen the ground peppered with fire so i guess its the cannon that fires slow??)

im sure i just need to adapt to its weaponry and then ill be lethal (check back in 3 years)

i tried 109`s (for me) but couldnt get on with them, the struts in canopy are just tooo much. maybe when my `track ir` arrives tomorrow (hopefully) it wont seem such a restricted view?? It was the good view from the canopy that drew me toward the la5 and also the p51 although since installing pacific fighters i cant seem to fly the p51 at all now??
looking forward to becoming at least competant

kind regards

ps. as the la5 is 1943 what would you suggest instead as a good learning early war plane?? there are so many to choose from im lost http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Lordbutter4
06-27-2006, 06:01 PM
1. Set yourself up in a QCM against 2 enemy b-17G's on average. Start learning basic gunnery skills on easy targets. Try first to hit the 17 (this will help you improve on firing were the target will be instead of at the target), then start trying to hit specific parts of the 17. After practice and time you will be able to hit the cockpit/engine/wingroots and will learn to get good shots in, which will help you later on.

2. Up b-17G's to ace gunnery. Try this. Learn to speed up your shots, without sacrificing accuracy. With time, you will be able to push yourself farther and farther away and still acheive great shots in specific areas.

Dont cheat at this. Use whatever ride you are going to try to spend some time on. If its a 109 or something similar, dont pick giant bomber killer cannons. A great pilot once said, "added firepower is no subsitute for accuracy".

Once you feel your a crack shot, put yourself against an enemy fighter. Your accuracy will pay off, as it will now let you end fights quickly, instead of missing 80% of your shots.

Skill in fighting is trying to predict what your enemy is going to do. Try to stay one step ahead of them. If you know what thier plane strength lies, you can almost call their next move.

Vrabac
06-27-2006, 06:53 PM
Instead of trying to learn something by reading what others have to say, learn by experimenting: Just do those damn quickmissions until you can KILL EM ALL! http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif Really, it's the best way. Others will usually say what you already know or what you'd learn from experience very soon anyway, and all the tips and tricks in the world won't help you until you have enough experience to use them. You sound as if you just started out, so don't be sad or dishearted if you can't do it right on the very beginning. Also start out with 1 opponent, maybe 2. If you can't shoot well it's very easy to get killed by second, let alone third guy while you chase the first one. Also maneuvering against AI has little to do with aircraft relative performance, since they seem to be very strange in flight model aspect, doing things humans can't but also being incredibly stupid. http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif Use AI to learn how to shoot and make basic maneuvers without stalling, they aren't useful for much more than that.

WTE_Galway
06-27-2006, 07:50 PM
main thing to practice early on is deflection shooting and rudder control when shooting

try shooting practice at quarter speed until you can "light up" an aircraft from a good distance back at a reasonable deflection angle

even pause when you are missing and flip to the opponent external view to check out why your shots are going wild

then try half then normal and even practice shoting at double speed

alphalvr
06-28-2006, 08:46 PM
ta, well my trackir pro 4 arrived today and to my surprise in my first bout against a 109 (early model on veteran) i whuped him (ok, it was tuff but i did it) then i did it 4 times in succesion.

its amazing the diffence knowing where he is makes!!

then got a bit cocky and upped the 109 to the latest model and things went pear shaped, after the merge it went into a climb to 8000 feet every time. i was trailing big time and then he boom n zoomed me time and time again.

so ive cut down to a `43 model 109 and now were equally matched so ill keep practising.

also been using a yoyo method to kill some bombers i read about, again i notice its way easier with the track ir keepin a track on the target, amazing

thanks dudes, im gonna try some real competion soon, watch ya backs http://forums.ubi.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

F19_Ob
06-29-2006, 06:37 AM
A good thing is to record and examine tracks.
This is excellent when practising deflectionshooting, so u can go back and see if your burst went behind or in front, and if so correct your aim.
In combat it is good to try to think a head and try to anticipate what move the enemy will make next. In the beginning it's easy to just react to what the opponent do and just following him. With experience and knowledge of the opponents plane this will not only be guessing.
I try to be prepared to fire ahead of the enemy at all times and My guessing of how much lead I have to pull in any situation and distance has improved over the years.

I mostly fly online these days but I often practise or examine (test) things in QMB.
When I was inexperienced I went online and recorded tracks, when I saw some of the considered experts on the server, and then examined the track to see how they did it and tried to recognise the tricks they used.

The best way to get good in my opinion is to know own plane specs versus the enemy, and think tactics actively during the fight. Preferably discus tactics with a friend.

I've been blessed with a brother with same interests and we've had years of interesting tactical and historical discussions.
Never had so much fun in my life before.

Well, a few tips.