PDA

View Full Version : How to fight a Shugoki?

WastedPunk
03-21-2018, 03:09 AM
Can someone give me any tips on how to fight a Shugoki? The way his kit is designed,players are pretty much forced to trade with his hyper armor i.e. Light>Headbutt over and over again.
I know you are probably saying,"Just parry" which is what I always do.But to do that,you have to turtle and after a while, the Shugoki realizes that and either turtles back or bait by throwing heavies.
And then God forbid you managed to get guard broken after a minute long stare contest and then it's back to square one because he just got his health back.
Maybe if you play a character with a **** ton of quick abilities then you can do something but playing someone like HL,Warden etc pretty much means death.
Any way on how to open him up?

bob333e
03-21-2018, 03:33 AM
I almost exclusively play Warden myself. Happy to chip in.

As you stated, parrying his lights is one way but not the most ideal way as it requires constant focus and energy, and baiting his lights so that you parry them.

As Warden, try to bait top attacks as much as you can. You'll then feed him with a CC which can sometimes still be chained into a shoulderbash and into doublelights from there should he fail to realize he's been baited down a combo. You can stop at the shoulderbash and make him guess what you'll be doing next. On the same note, as Highlander, definitely use HL's CC on all sides as much as you can. CCs shut Shugoki down beautifully.

Also, as Warden, you can also keep some distance and keep cancelling the shoulderbash until you more or less condition him into attacking. You can dodge any attack and SB him during his recovery, or you may SB into GB provided you got a large enough window.

Keeping a fair distance without allowing him too close is detrimental to Shugoki. He's very unreliable at catching opponents or closing gaps. He'll have to use the zone and feint the second swing, which drains stamina.

For Demon Embrace, keep your eyes on his stamina bar. It's a far better telltale of whether he activated Demon Embrace. If you feel he's going to pop it (especially at critical health) watch his stamina bar until you notice a severe drop to roughly half.

Never use Warden's zone against Shugoki, he'll tank through it and earn a free GB on you because Warden's zone still has its recovery frames. Only time you can use it is to counter his critical health DE while he's lunging towards you. It's a bit more reliable than a top light in this specific scenario.

Don't use a lot of top lights against him either, unless you're aiming for a CC. He'll tank the top light and out-trade you or GB you. If you can be quick enough to GB him, force him to CGB, then land a top light and SB from there, it can work good.

A fourth way is to resort a lot to GB. GBing Shugoki will most times reset his HA, even if he CGBs. Works with any hero. Keep threatening him with GBs until he presents a parry opening. He'll start to let heavies fly to override GB attempts and these are great openings. As Warden you can often land the doublelights upon heavy parry (sometimes he'll absorb the second light and it gets blocked due to HA activating prematurely).

Most good Shugoki players will:
- feint the second swing of the zone into GB
- heavy feint > dash sideways > light
- charged heavy feint > GB

Zone is almost always feinted on the second swing so don't try to parry it, parrying it is unnecessary trouble. Unless he's gone OOS during the zone animation, at which point he can no longer cancel it. Go ahead and parry his second swing and land your max OOS punish (side heavy + top heavy). Pressure with SB right as he gets back up.

Note: if he's fully charging the heavy with the intent of letting it fly, you can land a top light, dodge his swing, SB into doublelights and keep comboing from there. It reduces the "stalling effect" of waiting for his fully charged swing to come out only to fail your parry and eat good damage.

Hope I helped!

WastedPunk
03-21-2018, 10:59 AM
As Warden, try to bait top attacks as much as you can. You'll then feed him with a CC which can sometimes still be chained into a shoulderbash and into doublelights from there should he fail to realize he's been baited down a combo. You can stop at the shoulderbash and make him guess what you'll be doing next. On the same note, as Highlander, definitely use HL's CC on all sides as much as you can. CCs shut Shugoki down beautifully.
Like I said,a Highlander can't do anything because the second i enter offensive stance,the shugoki can light and then headbutt and pretty much make you lose all your stamina.

Also, as Warden, you can also keep some distance and keep cancelling the shoulderbash until you more or less condition him into attacking. You can dodge any attack and SB him during his recovery, or you may SB into GB provided you got a large enough window.
That's a very good tip,I'll definitely be trying that in my next matchup with that fat loser (sorry shugoki)

Don't use a lot of top lights against him either, unless you're aiming for a CC. He'll tank the top light and out-trade you or GB you. If you can be quick enough to GB him, force him to CGB, then land a top light and SB from there, it can work good.

That is a good one as well but as stated before,shugokis can be really annoying at times and won't let you go for the GB as they'll see it coming and light in advance because a light cancels out a gb attempt.

Nontheless,those are some decent tips which I'll be sure to test out in my next matchup.Thanks for those my man.

High-Horse
03-21-2018, 03:40 PM
No matter what hero, you have to fight Shug within windows. Don't attack while their hyperarmor is up. You'll either trade or get thrown into a wall for a confirmed Demon's Embrace.

1) Begin every attempt with a Guard Break. It drops their armor whether they counter it or not. If they're hitting light on reaction to GB, you have to adapt and parry it.

2) Watch for the white flash and repeat. That's the window.

For HL, I wouldn't go to Offensive Stance from neutral and while their armor is active. Fast flow from a parry or successful light, and you'll do both remove their armor and be in OS at once.

Redkey.
03-21-2018, 04:33 PM
I will recomend you to start from "unlock" move. So. first action only to take his hyper off. Something quick and save. Then, you should harassing him, but stay away from something that could be parried, take care GB's, and step back before OOS, and began again from your opener.

EvoX.
03-21-2018, 04:44 PM
Just Guardbreak them, doesn't matter if they counter or not. Never had a problem with any Shugoki, because the character is garbage without the hyperarmor and it's super easy to remove it. If he sees you're doing that he'll start throwing out more lighs, which is just parry opportunity for you.

Oupyz
03-21-2018, 05:50 PM
goki static ha needs to go out .

its annoying and a broken useless mechanic it shouldn't work like it is working now .

however goki needs a redesign or major buff .

HazelrahFirefly
03-21-2018, 09:15 PM
As someone who doesn't even have the Shug unlocked... I disagree entirely that his HA needs to go. Its what makes him unique... perhaps the only unique character in the game lol.

I just posted this in another thread, but I fight the Shug like a mosquito. Poke him, fly away, poke again. If the second poke is in time before the HA is restored, then go nuts. If not, fly away again.

One of the heroes I main is Warden as well. I usually make it seem like I want to do a top, then hit him with side lights.

Kelson27
03-22-2018, 03:38 AM
As someone who doesn't even have the Shug unlocked... I disagree entirely that his HA needs to go. Its what makes him unique... perhaps the only unique character in the game lol.

I just posted this in another thread, but I fight the Shug like a mosquito. Poke him, fly away, poke again. If the second poke is in time before the HA is restored, then go nuts. If not, fly away again.

One of the heroes I main is Warden as well. I usually make it seem like I want to do a top, then hit him with side lights.

Definitely this. Bait to double lights or gb, remove HA. Go to town as he staggers his way to zero and avoid that last demons embrace.

HA for shugo needs to stay definitely - itís his core build and annoying as it can be (4 shugo dominion OMG donít go in there) itís unique to all the other classes. Personally HA for the other classes feels more out of place.

Hormly
03-22-2018, 04:41 AM
With a henka

PDXGorechild
03-22-2018, 03:00 PM
https://cdn-maf0.heartyhosting.com/sites/muscleandfitness.com/files/styles/full_node_image_1090x614/public/media/burger-trap.jpg?itok=QWZ-5I5_

High-Horse
03-22-2018, 04:22 PM
Lol, Gore. That's how I get my cat to go to the vet.