PDA

View Full Version : More grittier stuff?

Ianoneshot
03-20-2018, 02:18 AM
lately I have seen more people in the For Honor community to have a turn in new content, and make grittier stuff. Like weapons and armor and map wise.

I have seen these people start to grow, but they are less quite than the people 'WHO WANT NEW SHINY GEMS ON DEM WEPOON AN' ARMUR!' Even one person I heard- forgot the name though- said "I'm a Warlord, not a Pimp-Lord." I agree. War wasn't about who is shinier than the other. It was gritty, dirty, and rough. Unisoft even said it themselves! They said they want the heroes to look like the have been executing in the dirt. So why not make them look like that!?

People want more this!
https://cdnb.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/043/713/large/rafal-bartnik-heroa.jpg?1438849381

And this!
https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/005/171/818/large/maxime-desmettre-w05-village-entrancegate.jpg?1489021272

not this!
https://d2gg9evh47fn9z.cloudfront.net/800px_COLOURBOX1961476.jpg

And I am here to speak what those people want. Either they cant or cannot gather enough courage to confront this idea! Remember I'm now speaking for them now. They want a change, a bigger one. One that will most likely make the loud people RAGE. However think about what the more quiet people want than the less loud people.

E1seNw0Lf
03-20-2018, 05:07 AM
The core of progression in For Honor are visuals and customization.

Ubi said also that this game isn't about realism. Taking a look at combat system also makes that very clear, cuz there are a lot of moves that no fighter would/could do during a real combat.

Edit: But I agree to the point that most armor and weapons often are too shiny, symmetric and too similar.
Edit2: For example, thats the reason why most orochi player - if not all of them ;) - are in love with the "oni armor",
just because it's asymmetric on sides and front/back (and a tiny bit gritty/dirty too).
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/forhonor_gamepedia/f/fb/The_Chosen_2.png?version=9dda45eb414cbc8041a526936 ecab257

Ianoneshot
03-20-2018, 12:37 PM
The core of progression in For Honor are visuals and customization.

Ubi said also that this game isn't about realism. Taking a look at combat system also makes that very clear, cuz there are a lot of moves that no fighter would/could do during a real combat.

I know that, the fact of the samurai even being in this mess in the first place makes it un-realistic. However we are getting too unrealistic here. We are now more fantasy than ever before.

Edit: But I agree to the point that most armor and weapons often are too shiny, symmetric and too similar.
Edit2: For example, thats the reason why most orochi player - if not all of them ;) - are in love with the "oni armor",
just because it's asymmetric on sides and front/back (and a tiny bit gritty/dirty too).
https://d1u5p3l4wpay3k.cloudfront.net/forhonor_gamepedia/f/fb/The_Chosen_2.png?version=9dda45eb414cbc8041a526936 ecab257

Exactly, that's why Orochi mains want the armor back! I'm not even an Orochi main and I want that armor! Also about that gritty and dirty thing... Its super gritty and sorta dirty. First off look at the condition of that armor. It's all falling apart, its been through many battles, its asymmetrical, and so on. That's why people want it so badly.

And why stop there? Why not go one to implement this?
https://mir-s3-cdn-cf.behance.net/project_modules/max_1200/01fce228553111.55c5ddb0f0487.jpg

and this for Nobushi?
https://i11c.3djuegos.com/juegos/12148/for_honor/fotos/maestras/for_honor-3478758.jpg

Hormly
03-20-2018, 01:25 PM
Even one person I heard- forgot the name though- said "I'm a Warlord, not a Pimp-Lord."

That was me 😄

And yes, i do hate the art direction in this game. Reminds me of world of warcraft. Silly golden jewel encrusted pimp gear.

I think ill be sporting my old wooden plank shield with a hole in it until i retire.

Ianoneshot
03-20-2018, 01:30 PM
That was me ��

Oh hey ok! That's cool!

And yes, i do hate the art direction in this game. Reminds me of world of warcraft. Silly golden jewel encrusted pimp gear.

I think ill be sporting my old wooden plank shield with a hole in it until i retire.

I totally make that WoW comparison to th FiNe JeWeLs in your weapons and armor. I would rather have this
https://i.imgur.com/kFsPIfs.png

not this
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/for-honor/images/4/45/Death%27s_Glare_%28edit%29.png/revision/latest?cb=20171119050651

Now that I think about it... They don't even have a generic sword for any of the Knight heroes! Even the Rogan sword is not a generic longsword!

Ianoneshot
03-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Also this
https://i.imgur.com/c0BHmU6.png

People on Amino want this for Warden.

Danish_Crusader
03-22-2018, 11:39 PM
Speaking of cool armors that would be nice to have.

https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/001/583/272/large/remko-troost-11223342-10207907903794330-1951261818983514226-o.jpg?1448989644

Just remove the dagger and keep the sword and it is perfect warden armor =)
And before you go "That armor would suit peacekeeper more", please make a note of all the plate armor beneath all the clothing.

SangLong524
03-23-2018, 12:01 AM
Hypothetically, if two swords are similar stat-wise, I will definitely go for the cooler, better looking one. I totally understand your point, so maybe Ubisoft just need to give those low level model higher stat for high level. Frankly, I don't want a "realistic" sword that just have a different crack or dirt in a different place.
I agree that war is gritty and dirty, but what I want to be gritty and dirty is the fighting and environment. Not conforming my looks. Like I want mountain execution to have louder, more realistic scream than the muted squeak.

Ianoneshot
03-23-2018, 01:57 AM
Hypothetically, if two swords are similar stat-wise, I will definitely go for the cooler, better looking one. I totally understand your point, so maybe Ubisoft just need to give those low level model higher stat for high level.

Yeah, giving a promotion to low model things would be a change, however I kinda mean they should be... like... a now common set, then it upgrades like usual.

Frankly, I don't want a "realistic" sword that just have a different crack or dirt in a different place.

Well that's not entirely what I mean if your talking about the longsword thing two posts up. I mean the closest we have to a generic longsword is the rogan. I mean something like the rogan blade but darker and more cut-up, a darker-iron straight hilt, and a round pommel- kinda like the star pommel we have now- but its round and the martial of the handle is black. Generally more worn and stuff that has seen many battle.
https://i.imgur.com/34CP37S.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PRDdO7K.jpg

I agree that war is gritty and dirty, but what I want to be gritty and dirty is the fighting and environment. Not conforming my looks. Like I want mountain execution to have louder, more realistic scream than the muted squeak.

I agree about that as well. The minions at the start of a dominion match all shout at the beginning the match, but when they arrive to Zone B they go mute. All you can hear is their grunts and the occasional "HAH! WE HAVE THEM ON THE RUN!" Also from an execution perspective the heroes being executed are really quite, you can hear a "no..." every now and then. But if they were more loud like "AHHHHH" during the mountain execution that would be truly an intense battle scenario.

bob333e
03-23-2018, 03:00 AM
How did I miss this.

UPVOTED AND SECONDED.

Grittier-looking weapons and armors, a grittier atmosphere overall, can very much breathe a second life into For Honor and pull it back out of its near-sorry [aesthetic] state right now.

I keep rewatching that trailer endlessly, btw. It's one of my favourite ever CGI game trailers.

Ianoneshot
03-23-2018, 03:02 AM
How did I miss this.

UPVOTED AND SECONDED.

Grittier-looking weapons and armors, a grittier atmosphere overall, can very much breathe a second life into For Honor and pull it back out of its near-sorry [aesthetic] state right now.

I keep rewatching that trailer endlessly, btw. It's one of my favourite ever CGI game trailers.

For everything you just said- I cant agree less!

Tyrjo
03-23-2018, 09:53 AM
Yes. Less gold. Less jewels. More realistic battle worn armor.

Ianoneshot
03-24-2018, 03:02 AM
Yes. Less gold. Less jewels. More realistic battle worn armor.

Less jewels would be key. Because Ubisoft made the community so use to fantasy gear that they are literally demanding stuff from World of Warcraft now. We NEED to fix this!

JadeBosson.
03-24-2018, 05:32 AM
i'd actually be fine with either of the 2 options or both as long as I can still play the game I'm fine with how it looks

Ianoneshot
03-24-2018, 03:32 PM
i'd actually be fine with either of the 2 options or both as long as I can still play the game I'm fine with how it looks

I don't see how this could change gameplay at all so your good.

Nokhchalla
03-24-2018, 09:32 PM
I made an almost similar thread long time ago

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1742847-Make-Characters-More-Bloody

Obviously, nothing has been implemented yet ;)

UbiInsulin
03-25-2018, 01:23 AM
I made an almost similar thread long time ago

https://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1742847-Make-Characters-More-Bloody

Obviously, nothing has been implemented yet ;)

And I'll go ahead and reiterate that we have been mentioning these threads to the team (whether it be "more realistic/gritty" or "less meme-y"). :)

Draco067
03-25-2018, 03:33 AM
And I'll go ahead and reiterate that we have been mentioning these threads to the team (whether it be "more realistic/gritty" or "less meme-y"). :)

"Less meme-y" would help worlds. Emote spam is quickly becoming one of my most disliked things.

Nokhchalla
03-25-2018, 12:05 PM

Hahaha! Dont worry UbiInsulin, this isn't an attack on you or any other forum moderators, I know you guys do your job, however I wish those guys behind For Honor (the team) would hire more people and work a litle bit faster ;)

Tirik22x
03-25-2018, 02:25 PM

With all due respect bud, these threads will continue until something changes...

We know that you know, and that youíve passed it on... but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

RapStylezz
03-25-2018, 07:16 PM
Yeeesss, this thread is the bomb. Exactly how it should be.

UbiInsulin
03-25-2018, 09:59 PM
With all due respect bud, these threads will continue until something changes...

We know that you know, and that youíve passed it on... but the squeaky wheel gets the grease.

And I know many of you know I know (If I'm keeping track of things correctly :P ), and even OP alluded to seeing an uptick in these types of threads recently. I just want to make it clear that we're seeing this stuff, not trying to say "don't talk about this" or anything like that. Hope that's clear!

Tirik22x
03-25-2018, 11:48 PM
And I know many of you know I know (If I'm keeping track of things correctly :P ), and even OP alluded to seeing an uptick in these types of threads recently. I just want to make it clear that we're seeing this stuff, not trying to say "don't talk about this" or anything like that. Hope that's clear!

I know that you know that we know you know, and that you let them know. I was just clarifying... you know?

SaschoS
03-26-2018, 08:21 AM
Just let's get out of Baroque and fast!

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
03-29-2018, 06:38 PM
Dirty, and gritty? Perhaps the landscape yes, but I want my armor and weapons to be the finest around. I want a King Arthur, Sword of Omens type looking sword. I dont want one that looks ready to crack. I want my Conq to have a intricately designed shield, not one of wood with holes in it. I want my armor to look as if crafted by the best around, and almost as if commissioned by me. I dont want one that looks like it was handed to the every soldier. I am after all King of my lands and my weapons and armor should reflect that.

Tirik22x
03-29-2018, 06:57 PM
Dirty, and gritty? Perhaps the landscape yes, but I want my armor and weapons to be the finest around. I want a King Arthur, Sword of Omens type looking sword. I dont want one that looks ready to crack. I want my Conq to have a intricately designed shield, not one of wood with holes in it. I want my armor to look as if crafted by the best around, and almost as if commissioned by me. I dont want one that looks like it was handed to the every soldier. I am after all King of my lands and my weapons and armor should reflect that.

Options for either way would be nice... I think thatís the point more so than anything.

bob333e
03-29-2018, 07:00 PM

That's not what was being insinuated though.

You can still have shiny and polished gear that still looks gritty, realistic, usable, battle-ready. Not decorative, ornamental, bejeweled pieces that we stole straight from a museum, don't look usable, don't feel right, and certainly don't mix right with most of the armors we wear. And most certainly don't ever fit in For Honor if you ask me.

The problem you're hinting at, is that most of the "real-looking" pieces we currently have, are common tier (i.e. not really shiny and have some broken parts here and there and are mostly wood and of basic design). While the higher-end pieces are... museum pieces.

The difference between these two swords is hilarious if you ask me, and you can pretty much tell which one looks deadlier than the other, and which one would break in half after a few trades:

https://i.imgur.com/kwfeOIv.png

https://i.imgur.com/T2227gp.png

D3dicatedSrv3rz
03-29-2018, 11:29 PM
It would take a SH**ton of work but there should be a sort of wear gauge on both weapons and armors ranging from fresh out the smithy to 10 years battle-scarred with multiple chips, dents and missing pieces

Ianoneshot
03-31-2018, 08:40 PM
It would take a SH**ton of work but there should be a sort of wear gauge on both weapons and armors ranging from fresh out the smithy to 10 years battle-scarred with multiple chips, dents and missing pieces

You're right that would take a long time. I think you probably got that from Mordhau?

NHLGoldenKnight
03-31-2018, 09:20 PM
Great topic!

One of the things that I don't like about this game is how poorly designed are most of the weapon/armor sets. As others already mentioned, at low tiers it is mostly ok. But as soon as you start leveling up, there is nothing I really want to keep.

I play with many heroes, but Warden seems to be the worst one when it comes to weapons. Uggliest and most unrealistic swords I have ever seen in a game or even movies. Those swords would be completely useless in actual fight. I am not sure who is the guy who designed them but I can bet he drives around in gold paintend Mercedes with emerald green wheels.

I gave up already on any chance that something will change for the better. This game quickly lost its direction and became playground for kids and future pimps. Wave of new masks and emotes proves my point. Shame....

swiss_soldier_1
03-31-2018, 10:28 PM
im sorry guys but we'll never have this in for honor... having taken some time off the game and playing some matches more recently, it looks abundantly clear that they just made a sort of arcade game (with a good combat system ok) with small "maps" (arenas sounds better) where you run around killing, making cool/dumb executions and emotes, with objectives being there just so people feel they are doing something. this game is entirely about the looks, but not the looks we want. people (better: kids) want to be a shiny-rainbowy lawbringer that rides his poleaxe after killing someone with a spectacular executions.

they are ENTIRELY focusing on the animations. and they are very good at it! the animations are well made. too bad they put all their efforts there instead of thinking about the freaking gameplay , and that the animations go towards meme-esque stuff

Ianoneshot
04-01-2018, 04:49 PM
im sorry guys but we'll never have this in for honor... having taken some time off the game and playing some matches more recently, it looks abundantly clear that they just made a sort of arcade game (with a good combat system ok) with small "maps" (arenas sounds better) where you run around killing, making cool/dumb executions and emotes, with objectives being there just so people feel they are doing something. this game is entirely about the looks, but not the looks we want. people (better: kids) want to be a shiny-rainbowy lawbringer that rides his poleaxe after killing someone with a spectacular executions.

they are ENTIRELY focusing on the animations. and they are very good at it! the animations are well made. too bad they put all their efforts there instead of thinking about the freaking gameplay , and that the animations go towards meme-esque stuff

That's why I think kid population in video games are destroying a, once very unique game, into something were its all shiny and full of memes and unoriginal.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
04-01-2018, 07:15 PM
That's not what was being insinuated though.

You can still have shiny and polished gear that still looks gritty, realistic, usable, battle-ready. Not decorative, ornamental, bejeweled pieces that we stole straight from a museum, don't look usable, don't feel right, and certainly don't mix right with most of the armors we wear. And most certainly don't ever fit in For Honor if you ask me.

The problem you're hinting at, is that most of the "real-looking" pieces we currently have, are common tier (i.e. not really shiny and have some broken parts here and there and are mostly wood and of basic design). While the higher-end pieces are... museum pieces.

The difference between these two swords is hilarious if you ask me, and you can pretty much tell which one looks deadlier than the other, and which one would break in half after a few trades:

https://i.imgur.com/kwfeOIv.png

https://i.imgur.com/T2227gp.png

But some of us do want museum looking pieces. I want something that looks like the 2 pics you posted as opposed to a clean, shiny, typical sword. Again I want my armor and weapons to reflect my rise to power. I want them to appear as almost ceremonial weapons with functionality. I as a Knight have taken the spoils I desired from the lands I have conquered. And I'll be damned if those spoils do not adorn my crown and armor.

I understand you guys would like variety, or maybe the option, but I like the designs they've released. I was never a fan of a lot of emotes and effects, but that's another topic. The armor and weapons are perfect to me.

EIGHTYYARDS NYC
04-01-2018, 07:17 PM
Options for either way would be nice... I think thatís the point more so than anything.

Nothing wrong with this.

Ianoneshot
04-01-2018, 08:51 PM
Nothing wrong with this.

ya I;m saying not to take away the ceremonial stuff, but to add new content so then the devs can make it into ceremonial stuff like you like.

Col.Bullet
04-01-2018, 10:35 PM
To me it just seems to reiterate what has been talked about for quite some time now: New armaments are wanted greatly. And while I do agree on the higher sets being pretty outlandish at times they can always be reskinned via something you do like. Of course that doesnt really fix the Problem of the rather nonexistent flow of content in that regard.

Hormly
04-01-2018, 11:00 PM
I suppose its not easy to offer numerous designs for a sword that all look like functional utilitarian swords.

As a WL i find i actually do have plenty of non gold sword blades. The crossguard/hilt/pommel is where things get goofy, and dont get me started on his shields!! He has ONE, literally ONE shield that looks like it could be used in combat and it's his default! Everything else is some solid gold pizza tray